XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear view mirror not working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear view mirror not working, stained

Same here - the auto-dimming rear view mirror on my 1999 XJ8 doesn't seem to work either, and it also has some oval-shaped, coffee-colored stains and a corroded, black area.

After looking around I discovered (from an eBay seller of replacement mirrors) that the "stain" on the rear view mirror of my XJ8 is probably corrosion from the electroluminescent fluid leaking out. Others report coffee-color staining, along with loss of dimming like mine, so that must be it. Because of the oval pattern, I thought maybe the previous owner had attached another mirror there. I tried cleaning it with window cleaner and rubbing hard with a microfiber cloth, with absolutely no effect.

Does anyone with more advice or personal experience replacing it? Is that the only practical option? (I did read about a company that repairs them for about $100 if you send yours in, but that sounds iffy and I'd like quicker turnaround.)

I see I can buy a new aftermarket EL rear view mirror with the basic function for as little as $79 plus $14.95 shipping & handling, from AutoSports.com. However, that model has only 3 wires and apparently will not sense the headlights are on or if it's raining (if my vehicle even has those functions -- not sure yet, but I doubt it. Mine doesn't have the heated seats or other add-ons, only a sunroof, unfortunately). It lacks a connector so one must splice the wires.

There's another one for $135 plus $15 shipping. One vendor warns against replacing with an actual used Jaguar mirror, since the old-style EL fluid eventually leaks from all of them, and they claim the newer gel technology is more reliable. Seems reasonable to me, and I'd rather not get an old one or pay $380 for the OEM part.

Assuming all the electro-luminescent fluid has leaked out already, or could be removed, is there no replacement double-silvered mirror glass with a manually operated tilt for nighttime that I could buy and overlay? I couldn't find such a product online, although it seems like it would be cheap and reliable, if not elegant or authentic.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

At the top of the XK8/R forum is a FAQ Sticky with an alphabetical list of links to just about any subject you could want information about.

Under 'Mirror' is a link to this thread which contains information about how to obtain a replacement mirror and a pictorial on how to change it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17719

The following 2 users liked this post by test point:
Joe Enge (02-14-2019), NashvilleXJ8 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reconditioned EL rear-view mirror

A long-overdue follow-up: Soon after my first post, I had the stained electroluminescent (EL) rear-view mirror refurbished or reconditioned by a company in Michigan called Sybesmas, for just over $100 including shipping. Their phone no. is 616-392-6911.

Contact Sybesmas, then take off your mirror and ship it, then wait a few days for turnaround. It took mine just over a week. Then I had it reinstalled by my Jaguar mechanic in Nashville, CMI, for a very reasonable $40, to make sure I didn't break something.

Results: like new, I think. The mirror darkening at night works fine, as long as you keep the EL power ON and give it a few seconds to react to the first encounter with headlights from another car.

Caution: When removing the mirror, I broke one of the two tiny plastic tabs that hold the little black trim cover on the mount, so be careful with that. It's holding, just barely. The mount has a tiny bit of play/wobble when adjusting the angle, which probably could be easily fixed by tightening a mounting nut. But it doesn't vibrate, and there's no need to adjust the angle normally.

The following users liked this post:
Joe Enge (02-14-2019)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Sybesma is a GOOD company, and provides the excellent service.

I bought my VDP with the mirror that was half filled with the black goo (luckily it didn't leak, for I've heard that the substance is HIGHLY corrosive, and WILL eat ANYTHING it touches!). I removed the mirror myself (very easy), and sent it off to Sybesma's. Like the previous poster said,....one week turn around time, came back as new and fully functional, and I reinstalled it just as easy as it came off.

Not worth forgoing the original, and cheaper than anything that was available on Ebay at the time.