XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Recent purchase xjr

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Recent purchase xjr

Hello I have recently purchased a 2001 XJR with all available options so it would seem. I was wondering what the extra badging below the jaguar symbol on the fenders (orange "R") and underneath the "JAGUAR" on the boot were representing? The vehicle is a type of silver colour with the paint code on the door reading "MDZ" and trim code reading "LEG". Also I am having a time finding the correct rims for this car as the brakes are bloody huge. Could someone have a go at this? If it helps in any way the VIN is
SAJDA15B61MF31524 thank you and right then.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

R=Racing. But those were aftermarket badges that someone put on and were not original with the car.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Banned

normally I would be happy with that answer but the same badges are on the new cats as well

Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
normally I would be happy with that answer but the same badges are on the new cats as well
In 04, to keep up with the ostentation of modern culture (and build a brand like M for BMW), they started putting R badges on separately from the "XJ" part, and plastered it on the side. They did not come on the x308, but some owners (to make them stand out more) put them on aftermarket, or the dealer did. The previous owner of my car did the same - it means nothing special, other than it is a normal XJR with 2 bucks worth of extra plastic on the thing.

Your car sounds like it has brembo's, which I believe was an option on normal XJRs in 03, and not just the 100s. Could be wrong about that one though...

Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Banned

ok, my patience is already worn thin,....no offence people but here is what it actually stands for__________X=experimental J=jaguar R=racing, the orange and green "extra"
badging indicates it is race tuned, an option from the factory just like the Alpine sound system and so on,..the "R" is for the tuned suspension, the Brembo brakes and cross drilled rotors, improved exhaust and so on, I called the Home company in the UK for these answers, thank you for your answers I appreciate the effort

Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 AM
Banned

oh and also the "Milan" rim style is part of that "tuning"

Old 02-02-2016, 01:54 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Welcome aboard, AtomSmasher!
Since I got a 2000 XJR as well with almost all options and R-performance package, I'm happy to help you.
If possible you could post a picture of your car so that it would be possible to identify the brakes. You can recognize the "big" brake system (R performance = Brembo brakes = cross drilled rotors, 355mm diameter for front discs, grey colored 2-piston calipers with Jaguar badging in front) very easily --> see attached picture.
Concerning the rims it's not possible to fit rims smaller than 17 inch...and even then only the 18" BBS Milan, 18" BBS Winter Wheel and 20" BBS Montreal had been factory equipped (as far as I know...) because of the huge calipers. So the rims need a big offset to not drag on the calipers.

The R-package had been an option and not many of 'Rs had been equipped with these (at least in Europe/Germany).

Best regards, Alex

Attached Thumbnails Recent purchase xjr-milan-rims-brembo.jpg  

Last edited by xjr2014_de; 02-02-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Banned
Default Thank you!

yes this vehicle has the giant brakes in the front, im getting some pics to show, also I am looking in earnest for wheels, the factory ones were probably sold,...right now it is sitting on some Hot Wheels looking rims,..totally ruins the look,.although they are 18" the rims are still against the front brakes, I am going to try and move them to the back so the vehicle will at last roll around, no sense in getting it started if I cant go anywhere with all those ponies ready to gallop.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Banned

hope these pics uploaded

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM

Good luck with the rims!
First, I got some dreadful aftermarket rims mounted with adapter disks as winter rims. During the boxing week I got hold of original oyster-colored Jaguar BBS Winter Wheels. As summer rims, I'm very glad with the original fitted Milan rims. It's quite difficult to get suitable rims with the right offset for the exceptional bolt circle of 120,65mm...
Cheers, Alexander

Old 02-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Banned
Default pics (i hope)

2001 XJR-"R" package, all available options and dealer packages

Attached Thumbnails Recent purchase xjr-0202161217%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Banned
Default 2001 XJR- "R" package pics

here ya go, 2001 XJR "R" package, silver, paint code "MDZ" black leather interior/with walnut trim, Alpine stereo, Navigation, heated seats, mirrors, phone, 4.0 supercharged automatic, auto wipers and headlights, power seats, alarm, pwer doorlocks, heated windows, trim code "LEG", feast your eyes on this one! All it needs are the original rims

Attached Thumbnails Recent purchase xjr-0202161218a%5B1%5D.jpg   Recent purchase xjr-0202161218%5B1%5D.jpg   Recent purchase xjr-0129160859%5B1%5D.jpg   Recent purchase xjr-0125161258e%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Definitely not factory-equipped badges, regardless of if has the R1 package. Easiest way to tell is the fact that the one on the fender isn't even centered (or leveled) off the existing badge). The R1 package from the factory had no outward identifying cues aside from the wheels (and rotors inside them) over a standard XJR. The "tuning" was the suspension tuning. Certainly not what I would call "race tuned", but an upgrade over standard for sure. For a picture of what you'll be looking like when it's got the wheels in place, here's a page with some great pics of an R1 in silver.

2001 Jaguar XJR - R1 Home Page

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

As far as I was aware, the R performance option was only the brakes and wheels. The suspension was exactly the same as the regular XJRs.

A previous owner has definitely added the R badges later on. As mentioned before, they were not factory fitted, and only came into existence when the next generation was made.

If your car is a genuine R performance model then it will have 4 pot Brembos front AND rear, otherwise someone has most likely done the upgrade themselves.

There is lots of info here: Jag-lovers brochures - a Year 2000 Performance Options Brochure Page

Old 02-02-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

I was a little conflicted on it too, since I've seen it mentioned both ways, with and without re-tuned suspension. Haven't found anything OFFICIAL myself, since I can only credit wikipedia to be at the discretion of the author, and for all I know, the other sites I've seen it mentioned, might be getting their info from there also. As such, I can't really be sure that if it is tuned, is it tuned from a base model? Is it FURTHER tuned from an XJR?

I did read through the X308 brochure on Jaglovers, and all it says about the R Package is "Spectacular brakes and wheels developed from racing technology" and just says ask your dealer for details. No suspension mention there. Also no mention in the breakdown history of the XJ series on classiccars.co.uk either. The most common list is:

"The R1 Package is factory-installed and includes 18" Milan BBS wheels, a Brembo Brake system with cross-drilled rotors, 4-piston alloy calipers and braided stainless steel brake lines."

So I do have to ammend my last one, and really, since I haven't found any official documentation, I believe the suspension as you said, standard XJR suspension (which is, yes, "tuned" different than a base XJ8, but that's about as far as I believe it goes).

Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 AM

Dear all,
I think we're on the right track. As browsing down JEPC or jaguarclassicpart.com, I can't find any specific suspension parts (e.g. shock absorbers, springs etc) for the performance package. And as far as I was working on the car only the wheels and the bigger brakes had been included to the performance package.
Did the CATS-system had been an option for the XJRs? Because the it might been possible that the CATS were a feature of the performance package as well...
Or the term "tuned suspension" simply meant the addition of a stabilizer bar to the rear axle.
As I said, I don't know exactly, I'm just brainstorming :-)

Old 02-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The 2002 XJR's and up had no options in the USA. The Brembo "upgrade" came through on some early on and then was made available. I guess due to the XJR100 -- And I think that was 2001.

When I bought my 2002 I did not want the "upgrade". At the time there was talk of it being standard on the 2003's -- Jaguar must have had a lot of parts sitting around.

In any event -- the base car is the same. Someone added those badges if the car is USA spec.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default big brakes...

This thread has me wondering, what's required to put the big brakes on an XJR? Calipers, pads, rotors, & wheels big enough to clear them? Do the calipers need a different adapter to the hub? Is the single piston caliper master cylinder the same as the big brake MC? Are the hoses a different length and or size thread at the caliper?
The brakes on my 1999 are not bad, they just don't seem to be as strong as I would expect. I should clarify, they actually work well to slow the car down, they just seem to require more effort than I would expect. Not a bad thing when you're concerned with accidentally locking the brakes up but maybe not the best thing for a short stopping distance. I would also think the bigger brakes would do a better job with repeated stops (or slow downs), although I haven't driven the big cat hard enough to fade anything.
I know the Brembos on my Moto Guzzi will stand it on its nose with just a couple of fingers so I'm wondering if their calipers have the same effect on an XJR.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

The calipers have a slightly different mounting system. A few on here have done it, and depending on exactly which calipers you get, there is either an adaptor bracket, or you have to tap holes in the hub/bracket and use different bolts. The only other thing is braided lines. Goodridge is the popular option, and easy to find on ebay

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Brembo calipers are very expensive, and so are pads and disks. Unless you REALLY care about a small increase in brake performance, it's usually not worth the money. For example, the disks mentioned above were ~$100 for a pair, but Brembos will set you back more like ~$500

Old 02-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The dealer loaned me a XJR100 back when they were new -- had it about a week. I drove the regular XJR back to back with the 100 .. and could not tell the difference. About a year later I did the same with two XJR's - one with and one w/o and bought the non Brembo car. The Brembo parts will bolt on -- I know someone at the dealer who took them off a wrecked car that was towed to the dealer.

The standard setup on the XJR is very good ... Thats why I stick with the OE setup.

I may have bought the upgrade had it made a real difference. The wheels where nice, but I did not find them as fitting to the sedan as the XKR -- plus, no easy way to get my winter setup.

Quick Reply: Recent purchase xjr