XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Recommend good quality speakers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Recommend good quality speakers anyone?

I did quite a bit of research before fitting an upgrade to include an AUX for my 1998 X308. During that search I remember someone mentioning about using a better speaker (door speakers) but I cannot find the post I remember reading.

Can anyone recommend good/really good speakers that will replace the standard ones used in the doors of a 1998 X308? Better speakers will allow me to really enjoy the AUX upgrade. Only thing is, I want to avoid cutting holes in the back parcel shelf, or bigger holes in the doors, or even fitting a pre-amp if at all possible? However, having said that, and being a musician myself, I have a really good ear for high quality sound! I might be inclined to fit tweeters if it would make a big difference?

I guess there will be some changes to do to the wiring used with the standard speakers, and if anyone has any advice on that it would also be welcomed. I'm sure my current system is just the standard system, and not the premium one (I only have a CD in the boot and nothing else)?

many thanks in anticipation...

Paul

Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I have some Eton speakers and Ampire speakers in my car... Really good, but the radio can't power them enough to get the sound out of them, that they can actually properly produce.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice depends all on how much money you want to spend... I've had good experiences with Morel speakers but those can get pricey quickly. If yours is the standard system, upgrading to premium will make a big difference. If I remember right the standard system has tweeters in the door handles in the front (or that may only be x350?) while the premium has tweeters in the A-pillars up front. If you can retrofit those OEM A pillar tweeters and some nicer component front speakers that will help a good bit. Go for the 00-03 tweeters if possible, those are much nicer than the 98-99 tweeters. I don't know if the wiring for the premium tweeters is already there, but if it is, all you'd need would be A-pillar interior covers from a premium sound system car, and tweeters, and maybe double checking amp wiring.

In general for tweeters I prefer cloth cones instead of metal, I usually find metal to be too harsh, while the cloth can sound more warm and natural. 00-03 premium tweeters are cloth, 98-99 plastic.

At least one member has modified his front door woofer mounts by fixing them to the door sheet metal instead of the door card (they mount to the door card from factory) which is worth doing if you are upgrading the woofers. You should be able to find similar-size woofers to just drop in the front without having to cut holes or doing that though, I believe they were 6.5 fronts but don't quote me on that.

Premium cars get a 6x9 sub in the parcel deck, I'd imagine the hole for it is there in the sheet metal, but you'd need a parcel deck leather panel from a premium car to fit it, or to cut a hole and install a steel mesh in your panel. 6x9 subs are hard to find, and the OEM one is a dual voice coil; DVC 6x9 subs are extremely rare. I've got a 6.5 sub on order which I am going to fab an adapter for and see how that goes. You may need a premium amp from 98-99 years to do that, I don't remember if premium and standard use the same amp. An 00-03 amp won't work with a 98-99 head unit.

If you're electrically and monetarily inclined, the 98-99 head unit sends the audio signal to the amp in a 4-way line-level signal, so you could buy an aftermarket amp that can receive that signal, and replace the OEM amp fairly easily. 00-03 uses a digital signal from the HU to amp, so it gets much more complicated.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

I went /w Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" 2-ways in my doors, sound awesome & fit perfectly. Practically a steal nowadays, if you can find them.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
I went /w Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" 2-ways in my doors, sound awesome & fit perfectly. Practically a steal nowadays, if you can find them.
I replaced the door speakers in my XJ8L a couple of weeks ago with the 6.5 RFs. The high frequencies seemed a little distorted so I clipped the wire to the RF tweeters and made them woofers alone, which took care of the distortion.

Got mine from Crutchfield.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
At least one member has modified his front door woofer mounts by fixing them to the door sheet metal instead of the door card (they mount to the door card from factory) which is worth doing if you are upgrading the woofers. You should be able to find similar-size woofers to just drop in the front without having to cut holes or doing that though, I believe they were 6.5 fronts but don't quote me on that.
Oh hi

link here: Glens XJR Photos by vonMako | Photobucket

Yes, getting the front speakers mounted securely to the door, rather than the door card, makes a huge difference.
The factory speakers are indeed 6.5".

If you're not going to add a proper amplifier, don't waste too much money on anything high end. You'll also want to pay close attention to sensitivity. The higher the sensitivity, the better they'll play on low power. Eg something rated at 86db/w will sound awful, but something rated 91 or higher will most likely be better. It might not sound like much, but every 3db is a doubling in perceived volume, so 6db is 4 times as loud/quiet.

Component speakers are always best. These will have a separate tweeter, and likely a passive crossover.
The factory tweeters aren't too bad, and you might find that it's easier to keep them and just replace the midrange in the door, preferably via the new crossover, but it may not be needed.

Also, as a general rule for sound quality, focus on the front speakers first.
You'll probably get a 'better' sound from good front speakers and fading down the rears until you can't hear them, than you will from adding new speakers in all of the doors.
As a musician, this should make sense... you don't go to a concert and sit with your back to the orchestra
Also think about home theater and cinemas. The biggest, best speakers are always in the front.

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

+1 to KC's, I have the same Rockfords, with an amp they are cleaned up. I am thinking of taking some 5" mini bass's and inserting them into the back of the seat (space permitting because of the cone recoil). My girls Saturn Sky has built in speakers behind the seat and its cool feeling it come through you...kind of a massage...

Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Look for a poly cone for clarity and response. Low power drivers if 'non-premium' as the amp isn't a mega watt item. The door cards accept the standard size drivers.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the advice grandell, having worked in the noise & vibration industry I understand the 3db doubling of sound, although my specialty was noise exposure where volume was measured in db 'A' weighted personal noise exposure.

Seems to be the general consensus of opinion to go for the Rockford Fosgate speakers, and mount them to the door as opposed to the the door cards. The ones seen so far appear to be 120w 2 way?

Checking out the prices and best supplies.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a Harman Kardmon system in the 98 - what's involved in mating connecters to the FS speakers ?

Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
I have a Harman Kardmon system in the 98 - what's involved in mating connecters to the FS speakers ?
A soldering iron, either add the factory connector to the speaker, or cut the wiring/connector off and add spade end connectors.

The following users liked this post:
smith356 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM

Thanks, Sean !

Old 10-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
+1 to KC's, I have the same Rockfords, with an amp they are cleaned up. I am thinking of taking some 5" mini bass's and inserting them into the back of the seat (space permitting because of the cone recoil). My girls Saturn Sky has built in speakers behind the seat and its cool feeling it come through you...kind of a massage...
What you want is a tactile transducer: https://www.parts-express.com/auraso...ducer--299-028

Instead of a speaker cone the coil is attached to a weight so that it vibrates whatever the transducer is attached to (like a car seat)

The following 2 users liked this post by nilanium:
Highhorse (10-31-2017), smith356 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
What you want is a tactile transducer: https://www.parts-express.com/auraso...ducer--299-028

Instead of a speaker cone the coil is attached to a weight so that it vibrates whatever the transducer is attached to (like a car seat)
Sweeeeet, that looks to be the cats meow.... ....I was looking hard at those 5 inchers, but this my friend will put those back on the shelf....a big TY

Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

LOL...
Or you could just improve your speakers and get actual bass, instead of turning your car into a giant vibrator

Each to their own I guess

Old 11-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Default speakers

Thanks, everyone..... it's all in my head now !

Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

And don't forget to pay attention to the RMS output of the speaker and not the MAX output.
Anything past about 75% of the speakers rated output plays as distortion.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
LOL...
Or you could just improve your speakers and get actual bass, instead of turning your car into a giant vibrator

Indeed lol ! I put two 12" Memphis Audio subwoofers in a ported box in the trunk, they hit nicely w/ the old shelf sub removed & the spot still there.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

It's not a 12 but I'm sure once it's being driven with a stronger amp than factory it'll provide adequate bass. Prettying up the mounting/enclosure will be done later, needed to at least have something in there to block the fuel pump noise...

Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
LOL...

Hey, don't knock it until you try it...

Quick Reply: Recommend good quality speakers anyone?