XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Remote not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:06 AM
|
Default Remote not working

Hello there,

got an X308 XJR last week and trying to mend problems it has. The most important for me right now is, that the remote locking is not working. I tried the key programming but it seems that the car is not getting any signal from the remote. Batteries changed of course. The previous owner gave a "green box" with the car (AM/FM amplifier by jaguar) telling me that this has to be replaced in order for the remote to work. Do you have any idea where this is located and if it is the right idea?

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:44 AM
|

Nobody? :-(

Old 09-13-2014 | 03:08 AM

Might be slcm... Mine just burned out

Old 09-13-2014 | 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bubulak
Hello there,

got an X308 XJR last week and trying to mend problems it has. The most important for me right now is, that the remote locking is not working. I tried the key programming but it seems that the car is not getting any signal from the remote. Batteries changed of course. The previous owner gave a "green box" with the car (AM/FM amplifier by jaguar) telling me that this has to be replaced in order for the remote to work. Do you have any idea where this is located and if it is the right idea?

If you look under the fusebox in the boot/ trunk ther is a module that the co axial lead from the heated rear screen goes. Don't know what the writing on the box says as I have ever looked, but it is definitely connected to the rear screen. If you look at the centre of the rear screen there are 2 what look like heating elements that only go to the right, 1 of them says HIGH SECURITY ANTENNA

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:52 PM
|

Hello Andrew, I have seen the high security antenna sign on the rear screen. The cable goes somewhere under the rear plateau, not to the boot... What to look for?

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Just been out to the car and took a photo, Black wire that comes down behind the loom,( green label JAGUAR ) goes down and terminates in a chrome fitting under the fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Remote not working-042.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014 | 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, missed a bit of text. The blue at the bottom of photo is the battery, so this is looking between the rear of the battery and the front of the fuse box.

Old 09-14-2014 | 03:41 AM
|

Andrew: Thanks so much for taking the photos. I have been able to identify the module. All wires seem to be in ok condition. When I try to learn new remotes, I even hear the chirp (only once). But as I press the buttons, nothing happens. Checked batteries twice, got 2 remotes, both 433 Mhz, module is also 433 Mhz. Is there any other test I could do to be 100% sure its the module?

Old 09-16-2014 | 03:12 AM
Default remote not working

I have recently replaced the SLM, because of a fault with it causing the brake lights to be permanently on. The SLM also receives the 433Mhz signal from the remote fob to unlock the doors and boot.
You say that the remote won't unlock the car, but do the headlight button, and trunk release buttons on the remote work? If they do then the lock and unlock buttons are faulty.
The main trouble I have had with the remotes is that with the amount of use the open and close buttons get, the carbon contacts wear out and these functions stop working.
I also bought a Detector that can tell if the remotes are working, it also works on all ir and rf remotes, so useful for TV remotes as well.
Does the Green Box you were given have any part Numbers on it for example the SLM has something like LNG2600xx, xx = 2 letters JB, JE, etc

Bill W.

Last edited by Heliwilly; 09-16-2014 at 03:17 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-16-2014 | 03:42 AM
|

The buttons are not doing anything - not opening the trunk or turning on the lights. The green box says "1R83 18C847 AA".

Old 09-17-2014 | 03:18 AM
Default Remote not working

These are pics of the SLM, situated under the fuse box in the trunk. I would certainly make sure that the remotes are actually working before going to the expense of replacing the SLM module. I don't recognise the "Green Box" part number at all.

The tester I bought is sold by Sealy Professional Tools, and is called an IR & RF Key Fob Tester. Model No VS921. Web page WWW.Sealy.co.uk Bill W.

PS just googled these numbers and it is an AM/FM amplifier that fits an 'S' Type Jag, never seen one on an XJ8, anyone else any ideas??

Attached Thumbnails Remote not working-xj8-slm2.jpg   Remote not working-xj8-slm.jpg  

Last edited by Heliwilly; 09-17-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: additional information.
Old 09-18-2014 | 08:10 AM
|

Hi,

I have tested the remotes sucesfully today by setting up an uhf scanner to 433,92 mhz. It is clear that everytime I press a button, it tries to communicate. Also, with a 100% working remote I have tried to pair it today with no luck (1 chirp, then long nothing (while pressing buttons) then 2 chirps for fail).

The green box is actually this fellow:

Jaguar S-Type AM/FM Amplifier 1R83 18C | eBay

Allthough it seems to me more like a radio thing, the previous owner told me that it is located under the real plateau and should be replaced as he assumes it might be the problem.

Old 09-18-2014 | 02:46 PM
Default remote not working

Hi, Yes, the "Green Box" is the same one as I came up with, and fits an 'S' Type Jaguar. As you have an XJR this box is no use. If the remotes definitely work, then as far as I am aware then the SLM may be faulty. First I would make sure that all the cables that attach to the SLM are fully seated. All you need to do is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear fuse box and lift it up out of the way. The SCM has 2 multi cables plugged into it, plus an aerial that screws into the opposite side to the plugs. It is this aerial that the remotes use to contact the SCM to tell it to unlock the doors. As a last resort I would disconnect the aerial and the plugs, take out the SCM and open it up, there are plastic clips around the edge that can be sprung apart to release the base. You will then see the PCB. This lifts out along with the sockets for the cable. Be careful not to lift the PCB out too far as there is a smaller PCB attached to the base that the aerial connects to. Carefully inspect the PCB's for any obvious signs of damage. Bill W.