XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Remote Starter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Remote Starter Installation

I'm going to attempt to install a remote starter in the Jag. Anyone done it?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You talking in the engine bay to bump the engine or to start the car and let it warm up/cool off

Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
You talking in the engine bay to bump the engine or to start the car and let it warm up/cool off
Lol. The warm up, cool off one

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I looked into it but the only way I could find to make it work properly with the required transponder in the ignition key was to have a module in the car that had a spare key in it all the time. (The remote start then used the spare key to fool the ignition into thinking it was ok to start)

I was concerned about the fact that if I installed this, I had effectively removed the security of the transponder, which I wasn't willing to accept. Pity though because I did install remote start in my g/fs Integra and it's awesome. In fact, remote start is the ONLY way to start the Teg, because I removed all of the starter wiring from the ignition barrel....... try and hot wire it now car thief cretins :-)

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by sarc
i looked into it but the only way i could find to make it work properly with the required transponder in the ignition key was to have a module in the car that had a spare key in it all the time. (the remote start then used the spare key to fool the ignition into thinking it was ok to start)

i was concerned about the fact that if i installed this, i had effectively removed the security of the transponder, which i wasn't willing to accept. Pity though because i did install remote start in my g/fs integra and it's awesome. In fact, remote start is the only way to start the teg, because i removed all of the starter wiring from the ignition barrel....... Try and hot wire it now car thief cretins :-)
adn i would never recommend this, my remote unit went out once and luckily i know how to bypass it. And i know others that have had to replace them too. When mine went out it wouldnt let it start till i unplugged the brain under the dash. Then i could start the truck and drive home
besides now days they just steal it with a wrecker or gun

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sarc
I looked into it but the only way I could find to make it work properly with the required transponder in the ignition key was to have a module in the car that had a spare key in it all the time. (The remote start then used the spare key to fool the ignition into thinking it was ok to start)

I was concerned about the fact that if I installed this, I had effectively removed the security of the transponder, which I wasn't willing to accept. Pity though because I did install remote start in my g/fs Integra and it's awesome. In fact, remote start is the ONLY way to start the Teg, because I removed all of the starter wiring from the ignition barrel....... try and hot wire it now car thief cretins :-)
Well, the transponder/key is hidden in the box for the bypass module. The bypass module is powered when the remote starter unit gets the signal from the remote. Than it transmits the (transponder) code through the antenna loop to the ignition cylinder fooling it to think the key is there.

When you are not using it the security works just like from the factory. If you don't feel good about keeping a key in the module you can do what I did. Have a locksmith code you a transponder pill (without a key) to the car and just stick that into the bypass.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM

Well, anyway. I attempted to install it today.

A huge PITA since the Jag operates on negative ground circuits. So I had to wire a bunch of relays. Anyway, I got stuck.

It seems like it wants to start, but it does not. I know the transponder is not the issue.

Anyone installed one in an x308?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM

I still can't figure it out. I think I need a kit with programmable outputs. I got it to start using a few extra relays, but the way it is now it overspins the starter. A friend of mine has 2 kits from other manufacturers I'll be trying out. I'm surprised noone chimed in yet. Seems like everyone is affraid to mess with the Jaguars electronics.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM

Ok. success!!! Piece of cake I used my buddies Excalibur remote starter system. Worked like a charm. The Excalibur is superior to the Bulldog as it has programmable outputs. It also triggers the accessory wire right before ignition1 for a split second which unarms the alarm if you hook it up the right way. So with this system it's a piece of cake.

Doesn't seem like there is too much interest in this, otherwise I'd do a writeup.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd actually be interested in a writeup; or at least points on lessons learned. This type of project is a ways down on the to-do list, but would be handy someday . . . .

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by pod184
I'd actually be interested in a writeup; or at least points on lessons learned. This type of project is a ways down on the to-do list, but would be handy someday . . . .
This is what I used as a guide, as to where the necessary wiring is on the car:

vehicle

This is the exact same system I used. I recommend you use this one as this is the one system that does exactly what the Jag needs.(the orange wire from the 6 wire harness sends a quick impulse just before turning the pink wire and the violet wire for cranking. It also stays off for cranking. Which is exactly what the Jag's ignition does. Any other way and the alarm will go off and it will not crank.

Omega Excalibur 1 One Button Remote Start Starter System RS 230 DPB | eBay

I also used this bypass: (you will need a spare key/transponder to put in there)

Brand New Dei 556UW 566U Transponder Bypass Module | eBay

It's actually pretty easy once you figure it out.

The problem that I ran into with the bulldog was that it wouldn't follow the precise sequence that the Jag needs in order to disarm and mobilize. That's why I highly recommend you use the Excalibur, because it does exactly what the Jag needs.

I don't remember all the wires from the top of my head as far as all the colors, as I already put the car together, but I'll match as much as I remmeber:

Wiring is pretty simple:

6-wire harness:

1. Red- wire to positive- I ran a wire from the engine compartment from a distribution link.
2. Red White Stripe- you will wire them both together with the above wire to 12V+

These wires look really thick comparring to the ones on the ignition switch as they are ready for cars that use 30amps to crank. Jags use really small current as the ignition circuits are negative ground.

You will need 3 relays for tapping into 3 wires at the ignition switch.(DO NOT CONNECT THE ONES FROM THE REMOTE STARTER DIRECTLY)

This is how to do it:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagr...N%20OUTPUT.pdf

3. Using the relay hook up the Orange wire to the Ignition1 wire in the Jag

4. Using the relay hook up the Pink wire to the Accessory wire in the Jag

5. Using the relay hook up the Violet wire to the Crank wire in the Jag

There is also a 13 pin harness:

This is the one where I don't remember all the colors, but here's all the one's that need to be connected.

1. Brown/Red wire needs the 12V brake signal. The best way to do this is to tap into the 3rd Brake Light into the Green wire, and run the wire all the way up front.

2. Gray wire is a grounding wire that you need to run to the engine compartment for the hood sensor so that it disables the Remote Starter when the hood is open. This is so you don't loose your hands if you decide to change the belt and press the remote starter button in your pocket.

3. I ran a tech signal wire. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary, but it is the best way for he remote starter to tell if the engine is running. I also ran it since I was already at it and I'm planning to put nitrous on the car and needed one for the window switch.

4.Orange wire you run directly to the Keysense wire at the ignition switch. No relay needed on this one as it's already a (-) wire.

5. Run a wire for the (-) lights output to the body control module behind the glovebox.

6. Black wire and Black with White stripe you ground together. I used a Grounding junction behind the drivers kick panel. Actually that's where I put all the modules. The relays I tucked in under the steering column. The Black with White wire is for the neutral safety switch, but since we're wiring everything through the ignition, the car will not crank with the gear selector not in P or N.

One tip is, don't mess with the Bypass till you get the rest working. So basically tape the key to the ignition switch cylinder next to the transponder coil. This way you're not troubleshooting 2 systems at once.

Once you get the Starter working, than the Bypass is super easy to wire.
You put the antenna loop around the ignition switch. Wire Black to ground, Red to the Red from the 6 wire harness, Blue to the Orange wire that you hooked up to the Keysense wire.

Boom you're done. Well after you do some custom programming for the tach pickup option, run time, cranking time etc. I found that 1sec cranking time was ideal for the Jag as on the lower setting it would crank twice.

Testing:

Keep the windows down. Lock/Arm the car. Start the remote starter. If the alarm goes off than you hooked it up wrong or the transponder/bypass is not functioning. ( Don't do it at night as your neighbours will hate you. When the alarm goes off the only way shut it off is to wait till the starter finishes it's cycle after you shut it off and than open the car with the factory remote (the door will not open once the car is running using the remote),Use the key in the door or put the key into the ignition and turn to Ignition1.

I'll update the wires I didn't remember once I look at the manual. Let me know if you need help. I'll chime in as much as I can.

I forgot to add that the whole setup cost me under $100 and a lot of elbow greese. I soldered all connections (no exceptions) and used quality electrical tape. Last thing I want is electrical problems. Do it right- do it once.

Last edited by adam699; 11-21-2012 at 01:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by adam699:
King Charles (02-10-2016), oyster (02-09-2015), Zorasmiles (11-03-2013)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Starter Installation

Original Post deleted.

Last edited by BadDog; 10-25-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Adam, did you connect any of the following wires from the remotes starter's 13-pin connector:

Yellow: Alarm Ignition Control;
Lt. Green/Red: OEM Alarm Arm (-);
Lt. Green/Black: OEM Alarm Disarm (-);
Blue: Unlock Output (-).

You didn't mention them in your post. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Adam!! Good write up, along with 12 Volt, that will aid me down the road when I do my install

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Default Help please

The remote starter works as long as I don't arm the OEM alarm. If I activate the remote starter with the OEM alarm armed it activates the alarm. Obviously something isn't right. Does anyone (particularly Adam 699 who seems to be silent now) know whether I need to 1) program something specific in the installer features of the remote starter to disarm the OEM alarm; or 2) hook up any of the alarm wires from the remote starter (not mentioned anywhere else). I read somewhere that the door unlock module disarms the OEM alarm, but my concern is that the remote starter would then unlock the door when starting the car, which would not be a good thing. HELP.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 AM

If you hooked up all the wires as per my instructions it should disarm the alarm as the remote starter sends a signal to one of the ignition wires momentarily before going through the cycle which disarms the alarm without unlocking the door.

I did hook up the unlock feature, but only to have backup to the original remote and because it has better range.

For the relays question look at

http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/DOWNLO...N%20OUTPUT.pdf

The following users liked this post:
popeye68 (11-08-2013)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Valet Button

Question ?

Does the valet button not shut off transponder so that you only have to giveup the green key and not the remote ?

Wally C

03 Xj8 -X308

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><>

Originally Posted by Sarc

Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I figured I would post it just in case while its still fresh in my mind.
Keep in mind my jag;s wiring seems to be a bit different that most tech documents indicate .

anyone installing an aftermarket alarm system that has window roll up feature. I was told by several tech and install sites that I would need a relay for each window and 2-4 modules for this to work alongside wiring into each door. well thank goodness for my persistence to laziness. keep in mind this is only for arming the car and rolling up the windows no disarming or rolling them back down. if your Jag is equipped with the global close feature you can tie into that feature with some slight ingenuity. on my jag the lock button is on the dash if you press it once it locks or unlocks the doors if you hold the button in for several seconds the doors lock and the windows rolls up also if you have a sunroof this will also close it as well. the issue is this button is not active when the car is off so this is what you want to do split your roll wire from you alarm system to the global close butt this button wire (on my jag this wire was yellow/orange) and should read B+ in an inactive state and ground when active perfect for my aftermarket system since the signal that comes out is negative. be sure to connect a diode from you wire to the button wire so signal only goes to the button. now you will take the other wire of the global close wire that you split and tap into the BCM ignition switched on wire (in my jag this wire was all white) it should also read B+ inactive and negative active be sure to add a diode here in the same manner. this will supply power to the car so that button can operate and roll up the windows. you are all set to go. when you arm the system your car should chime as if the key was in the ignition your headlights might even come on the doors will lock and a few seconds later the windows will roll up once the process has completed from the alarm system the car will shut back off. there should be not need for an anti-pinch module as this should be built into the Jag processing through the BCM with the global close feature.
Note to minimize unforeseen issues and problems anytime you are taping directly into the BCM you should use a diode especially if your jag operates off of negative ground activation!!!

In addition to this I do have a different type of install for activating door actuator lock/unlock

Old 02-13-2024, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please do a write up

Originally Posted by adam699
Ok. success!!! Piece of cake I used my buddies Excalibur remote starter system. Worked like a charm. The Excalibur is superior to the Bulldog as it has programmable outputs. It also triggers the accessory wire right before ignition1 for a split second which unarms the alarm if you hook it up the right way. So with this system it's a piece of cake.

Doesn't seem like there is too much interest in this, otherwise I'd do a writeup.
Can you explain how you got it to work and how you wired the bypass and how you wired the relays thanks!

Old 02-13-2024, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 814 Posts

That post is over 12 years old so you might need to rely on what followed it in the thread alone for guidance... I would also have the think the kits themselves have probably evolved quite a bit in the intervening 12 years.