XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Removal of Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal of Fenders

Came off really easy. The only thing you need is a 10mm socket 13mm socket putty knife pair of pliers flat blade screwdriver Phillips screwdriver and a few torx bits. There's plenty of information on how to access and remove the fender liner as well as all the other easy stuff. I only made this post because everybody kept saying according to Jaguar that the front bumper needs to be removed in order to remove the fender which is not accurate. I was able to remove the fender very easily with proper location of fastening bolts. As seen here after removal of the fender. the front fastening bolts are easily accessible without removing the bumper (by loosening previously mentioned 13mm Bolt) which is still attached to the car in the picture, yet missing a fender. Picture clearly shows all the bolt locations which are very easy to find except for the two closest to the firewall where you basically have to feel around to find them. Turn Wheels out based on whichever side. (Small tip), bet that you were wondering where the putty knife came in lol. Slide that putty knife under the fender skin in front of the last Bolt closest to the windshield. Push through slowly to slice the adhesive which is about 12 inches bead and the fender will come off easily.
Use a 13mm socket to loosen the bolt on the other side of the plastic framing. This will allow you to have enough play on the end of the bumper to access the fender Bolts from the front.
As you can see now there is a small gap between the bottom of the fender and the top of the bumper. Just from loosening that 13mm Bolt on the inside corner of that bumper end (pictured above). At this point you can slide a socket on an extension right in in front of the bolts holding the fender.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I've got this job coming up in the next few weeks. I just noticed the holes behind the rear end of the wing. Where are they attached to? Accessed from inside the wheel well or from inside the car?

Old 05-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 bolts @ inside of fender

Yes indeed. There are two bolts that fasten to the body on the inside of the fender well. 13 mm to be exact. I was able to reach in there with a 3/8 ratchet and a long 13mm socket. The 3rd hole at the bottom is just for setting in place.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Cheers mate!