XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Removing cam covers-tips, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Removing cam covers-tips, suggestions?

My service records indicate the timing chains, and tensioners were replaced in 2013, and cam cover gaskets as well. Car sounds good, but I am paranoid when it comes to my cars. Any advice on getting them off and back on, for the cam covers? Also, how do you disconnect the coolant line going to the radiator? I've seen a lot of people break them upon removal. Also, since the chains were replaced, that most likely means the guides were changed as well?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 AM
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Unless the previous owner was a tight **** monkey, the likelihood is that along with the chains, the guides would have been replaced as well.
The service receipt should say the name of the garage that did the job, pop down or phone them and ask them to pull the records for it, they should have the job card on file.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

I did call them. And they don't remember what tensioners were put in. They are older, old school guys. Paper receipts only, so they didn't want to dig up records. But what the owner gave me shows "all OE Jaguar" The PO was not poor by any means.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Good to know.
If it were mine, I would probably take it as given that the work has been carried out properly.
If one of the secondary tensioners was going bad, you should hear a rattle on start up that will then disappear as the oil fills it. Bit like a tappet rattle on hydraulic valves, it's there then isn't.
I've not heard of the main tensioners failing or the guides for that matter, unless they have never been addressed in the life of the car. But that suggests bad servicing which you don't appear to have.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

When I got my car as a fixer upper the primary guide had split into a few pieces, one of which had at some point jammed into the primary tensioner, shearing off one of its mounting bolts in the block. Had pictures around somewhere. Motorcarman also has a great picture of a pile of broken tensioner parts, with a bunch of snapped primary blades.

Technically the plastic tensioners are also OE Jaguar, but if it was replaced later than '03 you'd think they'd only be able to source the updated metal ones then.