Removing old fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyS
Yes, the plastic tensioners are one significant part that the Jaguar engineers
should really have paid more attention to. There are a few more weakly
engineered items, such as the ABS solder point, but none that will yield
the catastrophic failure that failed tensioners will incur.
Wow you guys really know your stuff pertaining to Jaguars. My overall thinking about how this vehicle was maintained is that the previous owner didn't do a good job
I understand that it's 24 years old but being that it's a Jaguar I think better care should have been taken care of this car.
I have a question. I noticed that all so familiar sound of the "clunk clunk" when going over small bumps in the road. Does this car have to have a special type of struts given it has air suspension? I'm pretty sure all struts will have to be replaced with shocks.
Any insight will be much appreciated

Old 10-14-2022, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 1,322 Posts

You have shocks, no air suspension, ...MY '03 started air ride. The question is now, do you have the CATS setup? Easy to tell, lift the hood, look at the top of your shock and if you have a wire connected to it, you have CATS (Computer Active Technology System). If not, then you either have Sport or Standard.

You'll almost assuredly be doing the rears, so be sure to replace the dampers as well.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
You have shocks, no air suspension, ...MY '03 started air ride. The question is now, do you have the CATS setup? Easy to tell, lift the hood, look at the top of your shock and if you have a wire connected to it, you have CATS (Computer Active Technology System). If not, then you either have Sport or Standard.

You'll almost assuredly be doing the rears, so be sure to replace the dampers as well.
Top of the day to everyone.
Well the neverending saga of needed repairs on this vehicle seems to be ongoing.
So here's the list of things that are going to have to done.
Front wheel bearings
Shocks including shock mounts and bushings
That's front and rearDriver's side door latch cableBrakes front and rearAbs sensors
All fluids were already drained and refilled last week.
Speakers are totally dry rotted out
I think that I inherited a lot of problems and the money I will have to spend is overwhelming. So I guess I will just take it one day at a time.
I'm so disappointed frustrated and wondering will it all be worth it when I'm done with all the repairs.
Nevertheless I will give it a shot to see if it isHere's a few pictures of my Jaguar xj8

Old 10-31-2022, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Offhand, it sounds like little to zero maintenance had been done and you inherited that...literally. I said in an earlier thread about the bearings and such along with a link so you know what your in for.
It's a process, not something you'll complete in a day. But it's best to collect the items needed and then do the repairs and a shop to press those bearings or you'll just have a car on jack stands for God knows how long.

When your done, you'll be happy with what you've accomplished and how nice of a ride you have. Start with the suspension and worry about the audio later.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 349 Posts

I agree with Highhorse. Get the wheel bearing done first, then plan your attack
on the remaining items. The real trick is to see improvement. That will provide
encouragement and steel you for the little nit-picky things you will discover on
your way. The end result will never fail to provide a smile across your face. These
cars were designed to provide an enjoyable driver experience for drivers who
appreciate a refined and well-engineered vehicle.