XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Removing wheel, wheel locks and new Tire ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing wheel, wheel locks and new Tire ideas

Hi Everyone:

I have this new weekend ride (used 2003 X308 XJR with R1 package) for a few months now and don't want to break anything but wanted to make sure I can do these fixes myself while out of town on trips. Just a few obvious questions, project for the coming few months.
1) the wheel lug nut on the wheels are on really tight, is it ok to use the provided wrench in the trunk to force it loose so I know I can replace a tire, like any other cars? or can other wrench be used?
2) what set of wheel locks do you recommend? I was thinking of going with the OEM JLM10167 ; it's cost a lot but matches I think.
3) the R1 Milan wheels are 18 inch(likely all the same 8x18) and are on Pirelli Pzero A\S 235/45/18 in square setup, has anyone replaced them or use latest Michelin PS4 255/40/18 recommended by the manual? How's the difference? Or do you suggest a bigger 19 wheel and tire size? I drive a little sporty, and fast but want a grippy and stable ride .

Thanks and looking forward to reading everyone's experience.

Jack

Last edited by Thinkpad240; 07-31-2023 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 421 Likes on 308 Posts

1.) Nothing beats actually attempting to loosen some wheel nuts with the tool Jag provides.
I tighten my wheel nuts with a bit over 103Nm as per recommendation.
If you are worried that the provided Jag tool does not suffice to open every nut, even if a bit corroded, just take an extension bar with you...: A solid length of pipe, which fits over the Jag tool to extend the lever. Alternatively, buy a proper lug wrench in an automotive shop - it looks like a cross. Any wrench, that fits, can be used - I can't remember, if it was 21 or 22mm (socket size).

2.) I am kind of sure I have those wheel lock nuts:

Trilock Locking Alloy Wheel Nut Set for Jaguar XJ and XK Series Cars

They do the job and are not too expensive.

3.) Do you research, which tyre-sizes are legal on your car. I feel that the most stable ride is achieved by mounting the widest tyres allowed for you ride.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,704 Likes on 871 Posts

My own experience with the factory lug wrench led me to believe it must have been designed by Lucas…

Who else would have designed it at an angle that makes it slip off when trying to use it to remove or put on a wheel lug?

I swap my own tires at home and quickly reverted to using a Series 3 lug wrench to finish the job this spring (and put a spare one in the XJR’s trunk in case I ever need one on the road).

The X308’s jack on the other hand is a big improvement over the Series 3’s.

The XJR is a daily driver (spirited but not hard) and I’m happy with the stock 255/40/R18 for the summer Continentals and the winter Michelin X-Ice 3. With the condition of our roads I wouldn’t think about anything larger.

Last edited by Ken Cantor; 07-31-2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

I carry a separate wrench with a long extension. The factory lug wrench has been useless on all of the Jags I have owned.

Was it ever determined whether the RAF lost more AC to the Luftwaffe or the magneto?

Old 07-31-2023, 05:49 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz

Was it ever determined whether the RAF lost more AC to the Luftwaffe or the magneto?
Lol

Old 08-01-2023, 03:26 PM
Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

The RAF used Lucas magnetos !?!?!? Did they also use Eaton superchargers on those Merlin engines?

For the discussion: the jack and lug wrench provided are only necessary if you're going to show the car in a concourse event. I always carry a tool box and a small hydraulic jack from AutoZone. The box has a 1/2-inch breaker bar, torque wrench, and 7/8's socket for the wheels, and a lot of other tools for 'just in case' including electrical cleaner and dielectric grease. I've put a lot of miles on my ride, including three trips across the USA, several trips from either DC or NV to TX, and have only had to get the box out once. I did have to use the jack once, too, but that wasn't on a cross-country trip. For the tires, I don't know if those 255s will work on the 18x8 wheels. I have the XJR-100 which came with 19x9.25 wheels and use a 255/35/19 tire. Like I said, I don't know, but others on here will. I just put on a new set of PS4s; we get a little snow and ice here, so I have to use the AS tires.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:05 PM

Got the wheel locks. Also, I went to Home Depot and got a Huskey breaker bar to remove lug nuts and torque wrench to put the lug nuts back in properly. Not too heavy of a set, to throw in the car for long distance travel. I read my car's manual so it looks like the 255/40/18 will work on the Milan wheel; but I'm holding off the tire purchases until I get more driving miles. This car wants to go faster....

One more thing, do Discount Tires or any regular tire chain, can they easily replace tires on these BBS wheels without scratching them?

Old 09-28-2023, 09:51 AM
Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Your best option is to find a shop that uses Hunter equipment and get the Road Force balance. Google "hunter alignment near me" or something similar, and you'll get some hits, but Google is going to show all shops that do tires, so make sure they're using the Hunter equipment.

We have a local shop with the equipment but they don't make appointments and don't accept shipments from places like Tire Rack. That's perfect for me, as I don't want to rely on them to do things right. So, I order from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the house. The tires arrive the next day, so I remove the wheels, give them a good cleaning including removing the old glue from the previous weights, and remove the center caps. Remove those caps from the inside or else you're going to find broken ones 'cause the tech usually just grabs a screw driver and removes them from the outside, breaking the tabs. Have the new tires mounted and balanced and you have some very pretty new tires on shiny wheels!

Old 09-28-2023, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Yeah don't use the tool in the trunk - the shape sucks and I've twisted the shaft trying to break free stuck lug nuts on junkyard cars. Get a proper 1/2 square drive 18in or longer breaker bar and a deep socket (I forget what size the OEM lugs are but it's definitely inches, I'll check when I get home)

I've just got pilot sport 4 all season put on and been pretty happy with them, better than the competing Conti dws06. I would not size up rims from 18 at all, it's already such a narrow sidewall...

Old 10-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Replace all the crappy stock sheet metal covered lug nuts with solid metal ones. You will be miles ahead!
We have dozens and dozens of threads where this bit people.
I prefer the solid SS versions and have zero problems. I also throw away ALL wheel locks. I don't park where I can get my wheels stolen.
They are also another failure point.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinkpad240
One more thing, do Discount Tires or any regular tire chain, can they easily replace tires on these BBS wheels without scratching them?
I agree with hispeed finding a specialty wheel shop to do the tire replacement. Hunter makes some of the best tire equipment but, the individual operating them is just as important.

I had the tires installed on my 19” BBS wheels right after they were powder coated. Call me paranoid but, I had spent a ton of money making these wheels look new including the now extinct (the last I heard) 19” stainless steel chrome trim rings that I got from the UK. I gave the shop the Michelin’s and only the barrels. You must tell them these are reverse mount wheels meaning when the wheel is on the machine getting the tire installed, the outer lip must be facing down and the tire installed from the inside lip. Anyways, after I had the tires installed on the barrels, I got each one back at a time inside the truck in the parking lot I was transporting them in. I installed the ss trim ring, the spider (center of the wheel) and torqued down all the wheel bolts with loctite blue followed by the tire valve stem. I rolled each one back to have them balanced and came out beautiful. Was it overkill? Most likely, but I just don’t want to deal with a headache if any of them got scratched.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 10-01-2023 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hispeed42 (10-16-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 10:22 AM

I think it's time for new tires; Michelin Pilot. I learned to put air in the tire but I have not seen the wheel pieces come apart yet myself aside from watching Youtube videos. I'm thinking it just needs to be put back the same way it was disassembled with out scratching. I'm thinking the retail shop should know how to do this as they do have Hunter machine; and I'm not sure how long it takes to put the bolt heads back on each wheel. My 18inch Milan has 5 lugs nuts and 15 bolt head, here is the picture. BTW: anyone know what the bolt head size is?

Last edited by Thinkpad240; 11-01-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Just a note on Discount Tire?
I have very expensive Forged 20" rims on my XJ and they are powder coated. I have talked to the tech's and the manager and they are very good at preventing damage and I have been pleased so far. No scratches. They remove all the old stick on weight debris and try to hide the new stick on weights so they don't show.

Now I did have a bit of heart attack once!
I had to replace all 4 of my TPMS on my car and purchased them myself and brought them to DT for installation. Went fine except I had a air leak afterwards. Brought the car back and was sitting in the waiting room when I noticed they had the tire off the rim and were using a cordless drill on the rim!!!

Ran out and shut the tech down but they showed me they have a special cutter that fixes the seat where the tire valve stem sits. Apparently there was a burr or some slight damage that needed to be removed. It worked and over a year later no leaks.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:10 AM

I was told by my local Discount Tire that it would be an easy normal tire swap where they don't have to take off the 15 spline bolts off each wheel. With the BBS Milan, it is just carefully remove the current tires from each wheel and put the new tires back on. Is that correct? Also, my wheel's face does not look like it is reverse mount either; it just bolted on top.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just a note on Discount Tire?
I have very expensive Forged 20" rims on my XJ and they are powder coated. I have talked to the tech's and the manager and they are very good at preventing damage and I have been pleased so far. No scratches. They remove all the old stick on weight debris and try to hide the new stick on weights so they don't show.

Now I did have a bit of heart attack once!
I had to replace all 4 of my TPMS on my car and purchased them myself and brought them to DT for installation. Went fine except I had a air leak afterwards. Brought the car back and was sitting in the waiting room when I noticed they had the tire off the rim and were using a cordless drill on the rim!!!

Ran out and shut the tech down but they showed me they have a special cutter that fixes the seat where the tire valve stem sits. Apparently there was a burr or some slight damage that needed to be removed. It worked and over a year later no leaks.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

I was told by my local Discount Tire that it would be an easy normal tire swap where they don't have to take off the 15 spline bolts off each wheel….
The “spline bolts” are only removed to replace the rim if bent/damaged, not at all required when changing tyres.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:39 AM

Thanks everyone. I did get the new tires installed; what a difference on the ride. Grip and handles more confidently. Off course, I get a new list of things to replace. The shop told me the lug nuts are flimsy\shaky and I should get replacements eventually, the part is CCC7029. I like the design but it looks like they go for around $30 per lug online. I have a list of other things I need to work on first.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Consider Gorilla 73187SMB. They take a smaller lug wrench, though.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

BTW: anyone know what the bolt head size is?
#8 spline

Old 11-05-2023, 11:07 PM

Thanks Addicted2boost . I end up getting a box of spline bit from Amazon like for $20 ( LEXIVON XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, M4-M18 ). I looked around 3 local major retailers , they don't carry these, as they are not typical sockets for USA. Learned a lot about BBS wheel components from all this.