XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replace Shifter Assembly/Linear Switch 2001 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace Shifter Assembly/Linear Switch 2001 XJR

Hello All,

I have a 2001 XJR, 4.0 S/C. At one point an energy drink spilled into the J-Gate, it was cleaned off but obviously much of the liquid went inside, and over time, appx. 1.5 months, the shifting got stickier and stickier, and one day, when shifting it out of park, there was a "snapping" feel, the shifter went completely slack. So the white plastic piece that wraps around the shifter broke, so can't move the shifter to the left side of the J-Gate without it coming loose from the plastic piece, and even worse, the linear switch broke off.

Also, along with the shifting getting "stickier", I then started getting transmission code errors. I'm told that a problem with the linear switch can cause erroneous transmission codes, including putting car into "limp mode" I did get the code referencing the Linear Switch as well. Instead of ordering just the linear switch, I ordered a new (used) shifter assembly complete with switch. I assume this is the best way to go, I doubt I'd ever be able to completely thoroughly clean out the shifter assembly.

First off, does anyone on here have a guide or can point me in the right direction for replacing the shifter assembly on the X308, specifically the XJR? Also, people have told me that due to the fully electronic nature of this setup, that the transmission errors can be caused by a faulty Linear Switch. Being that I have the XJR, people have been saying that the MB tranny rarely has the issues associated with the naturally aspirated XJ8/XK8 with the ZF tranny. Does anyone else on here have experience with this? Can they confirm/deny? Any other thoughts? Do you think that by replacing the shifter assembly and Linear Switch I ***may*** get back top a well running Cat again? Sorry if the questions are naive, but any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thank you all much in advance.

If any additional info is needed, please let me know and I'll supply such.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Fieryhail (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

XJ8 and XJR use different linear switches

Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Yes, thank you for confirming. I was under the impression that while ***some*** parts may be interchangeable between XJ8/R, this one, specifically the Linear Switch is specific to the engine type, NA vs. S/C. I'm going through your information now. VERY GOOD!o THANK YOU!!!!!! I may have some additional questions afterwards, but once again, THANK YOU VINCENT!!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

you are basically telling the exactly story which happened on my car earlier this year

so I wish I could pointing you to the right direction unlike that I learned it in a harder(more $$) way.

I may have the linear switch and solenoid for you if you still need

for X308, never assume things will work out themselves

The following users liked this post:
Fieryhail (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Wow, I wish I knew that earlier!! LOL, but as it is I did purchase (from CoventryWest) a new (used) shifter assembly w/Linear Switch. This next question may sound naive, but it refers to disassembling the lower part of the console, to get to the shift cable etc.

I have the top part of the console disassembled, but it's the lower part that I'm a bit stuck on. I watche the video on YouTube referencing the XK8, which seems similar, but obviously not exact. I believe the front part (with the 2x torx screws by the lower part of the radio console) may be the same, but I'm wondering, how to take off the rear part, where the cigarette lighters are for the back seats etc. Does that part just "pop off" like the rear part demonstrated in the XK, or are there additional screws/bolts holding it in? I assume connectors for the electronics, including the rear seat heaters.

Do I just pull this up, or look for something else back there to unscrew? I've been scouring the internet, but seems there is much more info out there for XK series than XJ, specifically the X308 XJRs.

Good point about not assuming ANYTHING with the X308's. Phenomenal piece of machinery when running right, and for most part, they seem to run well as long as maintained. I got this one used, and just trying to get it to that point :-)

Right now I'm trying to replace the shifter assembly, and then clear out the codes that remain afterwards, I guess from there will see where we go from there. I'm sure I'll be posting here regularly lol. Thank you again!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM

After searching on here, I found this:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-46361/

This site is the only place I've found that, looks like exactly what I need. Although I no longer have a VDP (previous was a 2000 XJ8 VDP), in the XJR I still have the rear tray to remove to get the center console out. For me, that was a critical part missing fro the otherwise excellent XK video. Will be doing this tomorrow and hopefully the shifter/linear switch as well. Will post back results of what works/what still doesn't.

Thanks again.