XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacement Bulbs for Buttons and J-Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 04:57 PM
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Replacement Bulbs for Buttons and J-Shifter

Hello, I had replaced the bulbs in the widow switches, the cruise control, sport mode, etc in a number of my XJ8s. To do this remove the door cards and remove the window control panels, then remove and disassemble the switches. The bulbs are held in by a rubber boot thing and the bulbs are just pushed into the rubber and make contact with two pins on the circuit board. (I would show pictures but my cars are all back together at this point.) The cruise and sport buttons are a bit more tricky as there is the latching mechanism in them though it's relatively easy. Also, there are two bulbs soldered into the J-shifter board that light the "J" of the shifter cover. (These are different than the window switch bulbs.) (BTW, the bulbs in the driver's window control panel are those little ones that twist in, not the ones pictured below)
I had ordered the two types of bulbs from MCM a number of years back and got a lot of extras that I am using on my other cars.
You can see the part number on the blue button bulbs but I have no part number on the shifter bulbs; perhaps these can be found in an internet search or through the MCM website?

The clock did not light and I since I have been unable to find the exact replacement bulb, I have ordered these LED lights. (They will need to be soldered into the existing bulb holder.) ​​​​​​​
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-12vdc/55/345/ I ordered the blue ones..maybe they fit the shifter as well? Will report if they work when I install them.