XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacing engine- Need help with Gaskets and Oils!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017 | 11:04 PM
|
Post Replacing engine- Need help with Gaskets and Oils!!

I have found a new heart for kitty. She is getting a 50k mile engine transplant after throwing a rod. The replacement engine will not come with the supercharger, power steering pump, alternator, or A/C compressor.

I am wondering what Seals or Gaskets I should buy ahead of time so the transplant goes successfully without having to order more things once it's already torn down.

I am thinking intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, throttle body gasket, supercharger gasket (are their multiple ones or seals?), exhaust gasket when it unbolts for removal? Anything on the trans side for gaskets to replace to bolt to the block?

anyone who's pulled one of these might have a better idea of all the ones that will need to be replaced. Then I will have to try to find their part numbers!

also is there a part number for the trans fluid and super charger oil?

Old 04-26-2017 | 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like a good brush and some Simple Green to clean it first..
Other than what you mentioned....thermostat and hoses should be on the list, especially since the SC is off, those two across the valley will be great to take care of now. What year is that motor? I ask regarding upgraded tensioners and guides. What a perfect time to do that if needed.
I have some new parts for sale if you need them. SC belt, secondary chains and tensioners w/new bolts and that little rubber offset under the air filter box.

Old 04-26-2017 | 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

+1 Highhorse. First thing I would do is a compression test. I would hate to do all that work and money for parts to find after you get it in you have a problem. Check to see if tennsioners have been done. Its a lot easier with the engine out. I would also put in a new water pump. Get the number off the engine itself for manufacture date.

Old 04-26-2017 | 08:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Other than what you mentioned....thermostat and hoses should be on the list, especially since the SC is off, those two across the valley will be great to take care of now. What year is that motor? I ask regarding upgraded tensioners and guides. What a perfect time to do that if needed.
I have some new parts for sale if you need them. SC belt, secondary chains and tensioners w/new bolts and that little rubber offset under the air filter box.
Originally Posted by BobRoy
+1 Highhorse. First thing I would do is a compression test. I would hate to do all that work and money for parts to find after you get it in you have a problem. Check to see if tennsioners have been done. Its a lot easier with the engine out. I would also put in a new water pump. Get the number off the engine itself for manufacture date.

the motor is the same model year as my current- 1999

if the "new" engine has not had the tensioner upgrade, I will be swapping the tensioners over from my current engine as they have been replaced. The engine has been compression tested. i believe it was around 160psi on all cylinders. I'm just looking for the MUST do items at this point, as it's getting expensive lol.

I understand I could go HAM with the updating things since the engine is out, however I just want it to be put together to run well without leaks.

I'm thinking all my current engine hoses should be good since it wasn't having any issues. But I will look into those if they aren't too much $. They are just Supercharger hoses? Thermostat probably has a gasket there too. I will need to put together a list tonight

Old 04-26-2017 | 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Have a look here for parts numbers and cost, It's Jaguar's parts department
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk

Old 04-26-2017 | 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Replace those plastic accessory belt pulleys for metal ones. Check bearings in the rest of the idler/tensioner pulleys, those can just be replaced and the pulley reused. (one is 6203, one is 6303, both are double sealed). Or if your current/blown engine has good pulleys, swap those over.

If just looking to get it working, I'd probably get new valley hoses, metal impeller water pump (if that's not being swapped from old engine), and whatever else is easy to access now but hard to do later. If there's hoses like the intercooler octopus hoses that are good on your old engine, I'd reuse those since you don't need to pull half the engine apart to get to them in the future.

The following users liked this post:
vsol (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017 | 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Ya'know, it wouldn't be a bad idea either to take one set of those intercoolers and paint them to your liking and just clean up the other set...or then again paint both with different colors. Then ponder on which set you really want to use?
For those valley hoses, if you don't replace them and one goes later, you'll be cussin' a storm up. The new ones are a solid 1/8" thicker than the old ones, so you may need clamps to match, I barely got by with my originals.

vsol (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017 | 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Do yourself a huge favor and replace the rear main oil seal and the 19mm Allen head seal directly above it. I'd also replace the front timing cover gaskets if it were mine as well. I'd also hang on to the harmonic balancer before ditching the bad engine.

Old 04-27-2017 | 12:24 PM
|

Originally Posted by nilanium
Replace those plastic accessory belt pulleys for metal ones. Check bearings in the rest of the idler/tensioner pulleys, those can just be replaced and the pulley reused. (one is 6203, one is 6303, both are double sealed). Or if your current/blown engine has good pulleys, swap those over.

If just looking to get it working, I'd probably get new valley hoses, metal impeller water pump (if that's not being swapped from old engine), and whatever else is easy to access now but hard to do later. If there's hoses like the intercooler octopus hoses that are good on your old engine, I'd reuse those since you don't need to pull half the engine apart to get to them in the future.
are the after market water pumps equipped with metal impellers?

Old 04-27-2017 | 12:26 PM
|

I was quoted $1,300 for just gaskets and seals from the dealer.

there are some gaskets and seals that seem to be heavy duty and over $100 in price on the supercharger.

I am thinking that these will probably be re-usable as they seem pretty thick and heavy duty? Any input?

Old 04-27-2017 | 01:45 PM
|

those hose across the valley, is this the one you're referring to?

Old 04-27-2017 | 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

OK a few things, take note of A2B's post and the crank pulley - keep it spare. They're not available to buy.
Dealer prices are 'are you sitting down' expensive sometimes, the supercharger duct seals for instance, anyway have a look through this site for a more reasonable total...
you can search the site with part numbers.
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/t/jaguar/jaguar-xj8-xjr

I don't understand why people get up about a metal impeller waterpump, the ones I've seen are crap, with daft vanes, the uprated white impeller pump Jaguar replaced the early black ones is the right one I use.

As for reuse of gaskets or seals it's a personal choice, I can sometimes refit one and be 100% it's fine.
You'll have to make the call on which, but certainly cam cover gasket set if any signs of an oil leak, again the 2 for the timing cover.
The metal crush gasket under the throttle body for sure.
The valley hoses are the heater pipes feed and return.
Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing engine- Need help with Gaskets and Oils!!-sk6371a.png  

Last edited by Sean B; 04-27-2017 at 02:22 PM.
vsol (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017 | 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

+1 Sean B...as his detail shows and he states, its 2 hoses...
For the hoses, here's a link, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-hoses-160413/ ...page 2 post #34, that link may help with some other things you may not have thought of doing, review it all. Gopi did a pretty good job with pics on the whole top end. Even shows the thickness difference of the new hoses vs the old ones on #34 and the foil thing he did, I had done also.

Last edited by Highhorse; 04-27-2017 at 02:17 PM.
vsol (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017 | 03:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by Sean B
OK a few things, take note of A2B's post and the crank pulley - keep it spare. They're not available to buy.
Dealer prices are 'are you sitting down' expensive sometimes, the supercharger duct seals for instance, anyway have a look through this site for a more reasonable total...
you can search the site with part numbers.
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/t/jaguar/jaguar-xj8-xjr

I don't understand why people get up about a metal impeller waterpump, the ones I've seen are crap, with daft vanes, the uprated white impeller pump Jaguar replaced the early black ones is the right one I use.

As for reuse of gaskets or seals it's a personal choice, I can sometimes refit one and be 100% it's fine.
You'll have to make the call on which, but certainly cam cover gasket set if any signs of an oil leak, again the 2 for the timing cover.
The metal crush gasket under the throttle body for sure.
The valley hoses are the heater pipes feed and return.
Hope this helps.
I had my pulley rebuilt and will swap it over. I ordered the gates water pump. i have ordered most gaskets that I think will be a problem. however I am holding off on the super charger ones as they look to be very beefy and they are expensive

Old 04-27-2017 | 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have reused my SC gaskets a few times. As long as they don't have any matted down areas, nicks or bends to allow outside air in, they should be good.

vsol (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017 | 11:00 PM
|

I have reused my SC gaskets a few times. As long as they don't have any matted down areas, nicks or bends to allow outside air in, they should be good.
good to hear that.

i have spent $621.00 on the gaskets, seals, fluids, hoses, etc

I did not consider these costs when first deciding whether or not to persue a used engine

Old 04-28-2017 | 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

For the reusable gaskets, at minimum they should get you by until you can get new ones if your intent on that. The costs on a Jag can be more excessive than say a 350 Chevy sometimes. But I think in the long run you'll be happy with that motor, I mean you have a 50k motor, that's great. If you still have your hoses and they seem in good shape, same scenario money wise, get new ones later, just don't rely on them indefinitely....make note of them for later.
You say you threw a rod, ...then scavenge the heads and put them in The Marketplace here and/or on eBay to recoup some cash. Hopefully the block is good so you can do the same with that. If you have a Euro Indy shop nearby, let them know you have those things. They may buy them or know someone who needs them.
....just throwing ideas out there.

vsol (04-29-2017)