XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacing engine.. What engines will fit 1999 Jag Sov x308?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Replacing engine.. What engines will fit 1999 Jag Sov x308?

I need to either rebuild or replace with a used engine my 1999 Jag Sov LWB x308 engine.
Vin 864218... how do i figure out what engines will fit. I know i want steel liners in there, so post 2000 i think.

Will a v8 from an S-Type fit?..from XJR...are they all ok to fit?

I would have loved to put a supercharged one in there, saw one cheap just recently, what need to be changed? wiring harness?ECU..if its too indepth then i wont put a supercharged one in, just go for a normal aspirated one.

Is there some reference of compatible engine numbers out there for my engine, something to confirm it will all fit?.

any recommendations on where to find a good one apart from ebay.

best regards
Petere

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

i would not go the supercharged route, too much to change. gearbox,control modules,intrcooler radiator,intercooler water pump,extra fuel pump etc etc....

The following users liked this post:
osyris (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

later steel units are possible fits, but you haven't filled in your car details, so it's guessing.
3.2 or 4lt?
If 4lt, then any XK8/XJ8 up to 2002, but even then a 4.2 can be fitted, using all ancillaries from the original...there's a thread on here about that job.

Supercharged is a bridge too far not just engine brakes gearbox, but dash+clocks modules wiring harnesses plus fuel tank pumps hoses brackets coolers and whatever else I've forgotten need changing, cheaper/easier to just buy one instead of make a hybrid that doesn't run or stop.

osyris (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Yes, i should have stated , car is a 1999 Jag Sovereign (xj8) LWB, 4.0.
Is there any benefit to going the 4.2 L?..doent the ECu then need to be changed?

If the 4.0L, can we use a S-Type 4 Liter.. there are many more around from theat model car compared to the XK8 here in Australia
Peter

Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello Peter,

the 4.0l engine built into the S-Types is the very same used for the X308 series XJs.

osyris (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM

if i can use an S Type 4 liter, then i can find one very easily.
Is there some reference table that will show which "engine numbers " are equivalent.
This way when i find a unit i can check compatability. I wouldnt be good in any way to find out later that the sensor on the heads or something like this are incompatabil.
There must be something out there to refernce.
best regards
Peter

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Right the issues as I see them, you want a later (AJ27) engine because it's got steel liners, ok.

What's the problem with your engine?

There are a number of things to address for the donor engine to work nicely.
A - the AJ26 (yours) has a single CPS or cam position sensor as against 2 on the later AJ27, you may have to do some work like swapping heads around, there's more info in the 4.0 to 4.2 swap thread on this. (I'll try and dig it out and amend this post)

The original throttle body will need to be shifted over along with the original engine harness and possibly the knock sensors as the later are different, again all the info is in the thread mentioned.

The VVT pickups come out of the front of your engine, on the 27 they come out of the top of the cam covers. I dont know if the connectors are the same, if not it's splice time or swap the timing cover over to the 27 along with the VVT units?

All this applies to S type/XJ/XK AJ27 steel units so whatever you manage to get the work and parts will need to be shifted over.

There is no ' engine number list' - you're dealing with Jaguar here! take yours and compare to likely donor and see if there's any relevance. There's also no drop in steelies, they all need work to retrofit.

*edit* a helpful p.m. from our resident librarian and custodian Jim Lombardi has pulled these threads, I'll try and add pictures at some point..

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...a-23763/page3/

Other is by adam699 (there is a problem - all the photos links are invalid - were on facebook photo server at one time):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-61113/page7/

Last edited by Sean B; 01-02-2013 at 07:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean B:
jimlombardi (01-02-2013), osyris (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 AM

sean
my engine is blowing oil in the air filter. I cleaned the part load orifice.
I bought car recently previous owner said it happened all of a sudden so im thinking its not nilasil but rather piston ring. Still havnt done comppression test to confirm, but its either a replacement engine with steeel liners or i rebuild it with steel liners.
I didnt thi9nk that there would be too many hassles in an engine swap , but obviously with difeent head designs etc there is. Im thinking a rebuild may be the way to go.
best
Peter

Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default x308 engine swap

Hi Peter, I would not condemn your motor yet; expensive to replace / rebuild it.
Does the motor perform ok, ie acceleration, fuel economy. Can you do a compression test. Did you clean both breathers, and is the small one unbroken?
Are there any splits in the inlet duct.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One option, maybe not so much in your case

I see your located in Sydney, I'm assuming Australia, so my suggestion might not be for you but here it is anyway.

There's a company in Michigan, (U.S.A.) that sells rebuilt Jaguar engines with steel sleeves and new metal tensioner's for $5500. I can't personally vouch for them but I do know they have been around for a at least four or five years that I'm aware of. They used to sell on Ebay, I know, how reputable are they? But, there are plenty of reputable sellers on Ebay. It couldn't hurt to check out their website and maybe give them a call. I figured if my engine ever took a dump I'd give them a try. Prices on various things have come down over the years, when I first bought my car it was fairly hard to find parts and if I remember right, timing chain and tensioner kits alone sold for over a $1K. Even now a complete, remanufactured, steel sleeved, long block with new metal tensioners and chains, for $5500 isn't that bad of a deal, IF, it is a good build. Are you willing to take one for the team?

Jaguar-Engine.com - Specializing in the 4.0L Reman

Their website isn't exactly that user friendly. They do have used engines available as well. When you click on contact, you're taken to a new page, from there, if you click on Engines at the top, it takes you to their used selection.

Last edited by Ricop; 01-06-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM

Yes i have checked the breather tubes and cleaned them, but i have not yet checked that the small part breather one is not cracked or split, its on the to do list ASAP.
The car has good acceleration im happy with the prefeormance. I cant vouch for fuel economy yet as ive only had a it a short while. It dosnt blow smoke at all and is smooth. Im doing some repairs on it and as soon as they are done i will do the compression test to verify the situation. One thing that leads me to believe its a piston reing failiure is that there is a small "gurgle" sound at low RPM. At higher revs its gone say at 60km/hr. This small gurgle sound i thought was maybe a dirty throttle/spar plug situation but that and the fact the previous owner said the oil in the filter occurred all at once leads me to beleive its piston ring and not nikasil failiure. In anycase a comporession test will confirm it all as soon as i have time.
I looked into those remanufactures engine by a mob called "black dog", i dont know how far they could be trusted. My local engine rebuilder can do all the work including dismantling and re assembly for $5500 plus i suply the gaskets/bearing/tensioner.... i think that will make it $8000 all up.. In Austrlaia these car go for around $25,000 which is way above UK and US prices. Cars are expensive here in comparsion.
Before i rip the engine out i will confirm with compression test.... whats a leak down test consist of??? people always mention that test for this situation.
best regards
Peter

Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Osyris. It's said to hear that I'm not the only one facing this problem. Here is what happened in my case and what I'm about to do.

When I bought my car almost two year ago there was no problems with the engine at all. Unfortunately 8-10 months ago strange problems started to show up... first an unstable work at cold weather, then oil on the air filter... then oil in the throttle body... then oil on the spark plugs and smokes from the pipes... then increased fuel consumption - from 15/100 l/km urban up to 18-19/100 l/km right now... and from 9-10 l/km suburban up to 13-14/100 l/km today. Have in mind that my engine is 3.2V8 and it's one of the earliest engines on XJ8 ever
I was looking to find the problem everywhere... then I did a compression test and the results were:
Left bank: 9 / 7 / 9 / 7
Right bank: 11 / 9 / 8 / 8

It's not super bad... but still it show's a failure in the engine. I stopped doing anything on my car as I was planning to either buy another engine or just buy another XJ and use this one as a spare car... unfortunately the VDP I found and which I planned to buy in the last few weeks ended being a stolen car with a lot of paper problems... So the only thing I managed to do is to spend hours in the police writing explanations why and what I have to do with the car I was planning to buy

So now I'm back on where I was almost an year ago... Tomorrow I'm planing to connect my new OBD reader to take information and see what's causing the unstable work on cold start (Unstable engine on cold start + low mileage - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum) and then I'll try a few tricks with thick engine oil and some additives to give back a little compression to my cat...

To do a good compression test, here's a good advice that MoscowLeaper gave me:
As for the compression readings - try to doublecheck the compression as follows:
--First run
-Engine is warm
-Throttle is 100% open
-Battery is fully charged
--Second run
-add some oil (~10ml) into the cylinders and check again.
If the compression builds up with oil - it's the sign of the problems with the liner. If it stays almost the same - time to do the valve job