XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacing fuel pump but from inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 07:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacing fuel pump but from inside

Hello guys my fuel pump unfortunately died after 4 years not bad for Delphi fuel pump but I will get denso this time . Anyway I don't want to pull the tank I want to pull the pump from inside the car now my question is can I cut that metal with cordless Dremel?? Or I will need other tools ? I'm not sure how thick is that metal and what cutter will cut properly

Old 07-24-2024, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

I think its about a 16 gauge, any carbide disc will cut it. But the thinner the disc the less friction and quicker the cut.
I use the EZ Change Out mandrel with the 1 1/2" disc (which get expensive but work great) on my Milwaukee. I do a lot of metal cutting with it on door frames about the same gauge.

Old 07-24-2024, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a pair of sheet metal snips from Lowes. That metal is surprisingly thin.

The following users liked this post:
Silverjag0 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 01:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I think its about a 16 gauge, any carbide disc will cut it. But the thinner the disc the less friction and quicker the cut.
I use the EZ Change Out mandrel with the 1 1/2" disc (which get expensive but work great) on my Milwaukee. I do a lot of metal cutting with it on door frames about the same gauge.
Hopefully no much friction sparks and fuel bad mix

Old 07-24-2024, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Silverjag0
Hopefully no much friction sparks and fuel bad mix
It is a sealed system afterall...lol

Old 07-25-2024, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

It is SUPPOSED to be a sealed system.
The lack of reported incident in this forum would seem to
indicate that these methods are adequate,,,however, my
aversion to destroying the integrity of the metal frame would
never permit me to go this route on the Duchess.

Hooli (Yesterday)
Old 07-25-2024, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

So, the posted pic, is that yours or just one you borrowed to show your intentions? Because that one wholeheartedly appears to have been die ground, ..clean cuts. I don't see any warpage or fraying from the use of snips.

Your prowess to not permit you to go that route is saying your going to pull the tank into the boot?

Old 07-25-2024, 05:05 PM
Received 195 Likes on 124 Posts

My experience is pulling the tank out the boot with the rear end out to sell from my parts car. Disconnecting the two fuel lines (one snap fit and one screw fit) was even a pain with the rear end out. Can't imagine how much of a pain with rear end in. Dropping rear end in not difficult or time consuming. Careful with the fuel lines. They are crazy expensive to replace.

Old 07-25-2024, 06:31 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I used that photo in a Jag-Lovers forum post regarding "out the top" removal technique. I cut it out with abrasive wheels. No way would I remove the tank. I covered the top of tank to avoid sparks directly on the tank and hoses....It's discussed in the link.

2002 XJR no start - X300 - Jag-lovers Forums

Last edited by 64etype; 07-25-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Received 171 Likes on 126 Posts

Removing the tank really isn't that bad. Getting the rear shelf out is no breeze either. This is quite frankly butchery and I couldnt feel right about doing it this way. And no, I didn't slot my rear supercharger bolt hole either.

Hooli (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Removing the tank really isn't that bad. Getting the rear shelf out is no breeze either. This is quite frankly butchery and I couldnt feel right about doing it this way. And no, I didn't slot my rear supercharger bolt hole either.
If Jaguar/Ford had designed the fuel system such that pumps didn't fail every 40.000 miles I would absolutely agree with you. As it is, the next person who has to replace fuel pumps at the ridiculously low interval will marvel at the brilliant access panel.... especially if they're a geezer and it's 100 degrees in the garage. Having done the shelf removal once, it will be a doddle the next time.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

it’s a bandit’s answer! Good luck to the ‘access panel’ people, there’s the rear screen that cracks at light pressure, a brake light assembly that falls off just looking at it! Then the engineering integrity that’s compromised. I couldn’t do it, it’s just wrong.
there’s enough wiggle room to angle the tank forward being extra careful with the lines. If you know someone with thin arms just disconnect both. It’s an easy job, why complicate it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean B:
Highhorse (Today), Jhartz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

Hey Sean...Thank you for your insight. That looks like an acceptable way to access the pump.
Do you have any insight as to the methods to handle the fuel lines safely? Some have reported
they have broken the plastic connecting tube in trying to remove the fuel lines.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 64etype
If Jaguar/Ford had designed the fuel system such that pumps didn't fail every 40.000 miles I would absolutely agree with you. As it is, the next person who has to replace fuel pumps at the ridiculously low interval will marvel at the brilliant access panel.... especially if they're a geezer and it's 100 degrees in the garage. Having done the shelf removal once, it will be a doddle the next time.
I don't totally agree with this. My car has over 106 000ml and presumably still original pumps. No noise whatsoever from the tank. I'm sure there were cost issue when engineers had to move separate tanks from the crash and rust area to more resiliant place in the both areas without re designin rear end completely again. Why it is not a plastic tank that I don't understand.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Received 171 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Vauxi
I don't totally agree with this. My car has over 106 000ml and presumably still original pumps. No noise whatsoever from the tank. I'm sure there were cost issue when engineers had to move separate tanks from the crash and rust area to more resiliant place in the both areas without re designin rear end completely again. Why it is not a plastic tank that I don't understand.
I don't agree with his post either, but have you tested your secondary fuel pump to see if its working? that seems to be a common failure for the supercharged cars as it only runs sporadically.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Received 250 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't agree with his post either, but have you tested your secondary fuel pump to see if its working? that seems to be a common failure for the supercharged cars as it only runs sporadically.
Another here who thinks 40k miles for a pump life is nonsense.

Mine got changed at 77k, the primary worked fine but the secondary was seized when I got the car. Stupid not to do both with the tank out so they both got replaced.

Old Today, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Both mine were replaced at about 85k, the existing are at around 60k. The pumps are 3rd party Denso, not designed by Jag or Ford.

Old Today, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RandyS
Hey Sean...Thank you for your insight. That looks like an acceptable way to access the pump.
Do you have any insight as to the methods to handle the fuel lines safely? Some have reported
they have broken the plastic connecting tube in trying to remove the fuel lines.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1866785 ...also, by using the electrical conduit it is non conductive, so no sparks.
Also, you can file the end just a bit to help wiggle/twist (blow out and repeat) it in a bit to get around the dirt and build up in the recess.

Last edited by Highhorse; Today at 10:17 AM.