XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is replacing the supercharger an easy DIY Job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Is replacing the supercharger an easy DIY Job?

I have seen a nice looking XJR locally that the seller is saying needs a new S/C.
How easy is it to replace the s/c, is it a DIY job?
How would you determine if it truly was the S/C that has gone T/U?
What other damage could the S/C going south cause?

Here's a link to the car.... http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1303644677.html

Does this look like a reasonable price, or is a pile of junk? What would it need apart from the S/C, would it likely need timing tensioners, water pump, gearbox work etc?

Thanks in advance..

- Tim

Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you can get a good 99 xjr for about 8 or 9k. I cannot imagine that this would be economically feasible. I am sure somebody out there knows more about this than I do.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I think John's right about the price of an unbusted example, and would also add this:

Smilin' Jimmy has him a $9,000.00 Jaguar to sell, but the dern thing won't run right. If Smilin' Jimmy, or Clem out in the shop, has accurately diagnosed the fault with this car...they slap a good used blower on 'er for a few hundred bucks and roll her back in line. Jimmy's not Smilin' when he leaves a few grand on the table by dumping a car cheap that he knows how to fix.

So my first assumption would be that this car has a much larger problem than a supercharger fault. Maybe Jimmy and Clem are honest good ol' boys, they don't know too much about Jagwires, and they cypher that it must be a supercharger making all that fuss.

Or it has a broken timing chain, or a rod knock, and someone is going to be really disappointed at how much they paid for a $2500.00 car.

Jimmy's Smilin' anyway, 'cause that's all he paid for it at the auction when it was pushed through the line. So he's making a living, whether it's an honest one or not. Clem's happy, 'cause he sold the console lid and the CD changer on Ebay when Jimmy was at the auction looking for more diamonds in the rough. And the pulleys of commerce keep on a turnin'.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL JTO! You are exceptionally eloquent this morning!!
________

Last edited by Norri; 11-25-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Link Removed
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm think I've bought a car from that Smilin' Jimmy guy. That his rep has made it all the way to Ohio is a pretty bad sign.

Tim - Easy solution is to contact the guy and get the VIN and check it out. If it seems ok on paper history, head to Lockhart and get some BBQ for lunch. Then go take it for a drive. If you have a code reader, try and pull codes. Take it to a shop and have them inspect it, compression test, leakdown, etc. Check the intake for excessive oil in the air filter or MAFS. From first hand experience, you should not buy that car without all of the above. That one even looks exactly like mine. If it turns out to be only the s/c, it will run $750-$1,000 for a rebuilt unit, so add that to your $6,500 OBO and you are at or below market value. But as far as Smilin' Jimmy knows, you'll need a new unit for $2,500. Be sure to have more BBQ for dinner as you leave Lockhart, at a different BBQ joint.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Thanks Markus,

There's probably more than a shred of beefy truth in my little story, but I had a whole kettle of fun writing it. Glad it suited your appetite.

Tex, you've given me a new item to for my pre-purchase inspection list. Right after
"Inspect front suspension for worn components/ free play", I'll now have to add "Check BBQ joints".

Maybe I can even sneak out of one of them with a steak knife in my pocket. Then I can cut off the supercharger belt, and we'll see what all the fuss is about.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM

JTO - I trust that you will post your revised checklist with the appropriate BBQ joint requirements. Beef, chicken, pork, turkey? Check. Green vegetables of any kind, except marinated or pickled peppers? no? Check. Secret recipe homemade BBQ sauce? Check. Really fat guy cutting brisket? Check. Really fat guy's hot college-aged daughter manning the register? Check. Lockhart Texas is a BBQ lover's paradise. Curiously, there are relatively few skinny people there. Which brings us back to the importance of "Inspect front suspension for worn components/free play."

Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM

It's really fun to throw something out in the wind and see who catches it. Nice to know ther's a helluva center fielder out there. Good arm, too.

I'm off to the local Skyline Chilli franchise...that's our local slophouse for immitation fine cheap victuals. Got my floorjack and a few spare lower wishbone bushings wit me to sell to the really good customers. Bon appetite!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Enjoy and good luck. Heat index down here has been over 100 degrees since about Valentines Day, so just reading the word "chili" makes me break a sweat. Pretty much the same effect as the words "nikasil," "tensioner," and "Smilin' Jimmy."

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Passing on this one....

Although it might be a gem, it might also be a dog. I've always wanted an XJR, but I'll keep the XJ8 (X350) for a few more years and then start looking for an 05 or later XJR (X350). By then then will be worth very little and IMHO the 04+ XJ8 is the best of the bunch....

- Tim

Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, 04+ may be a good runner, but the car started a style regression after 03.....raising the roof, moving the gas filler....I dunno, but I like the 03. I hope the new one grows on me. I have had a jaguar since 84, more than one most of the time....but that new one will take some time to learn to appreciate.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at the price it should not have any issues...needing a S/C this car ain't worth more than $3K tops. You know it'll need tires, some suspension bushes and timing chains too!