XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Restricted Performance, sputter, and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Restricted Performance, sputter, and hesitation

Thought I resolved the Restricted Performance since my last post on this, but coming home from shopping it came up again, only this time the VDP stumbled and hesitated a bit a couple of time on the way back. I have also noticed it has been a bit hard starting the past week but attributed that it may be due to the Arctic Air blowing in.

I have a couple of ideas on things to check, but would be appreciated on some other input. Oh, also have the Lean Codes for bank 1 and 2, and when doing system checks with the reader, I noticed that injector 2 on both banks are off even with the car running, so I figure on checking the injectors (maybe just change them all since my son sent me a set he had for same engine/motor), how should I check the injector connectors to see if power is coming thru.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

If that battery is in very cold climate like your stating, I'd get a battery warmer and/or tender. If that battery is over 3 years old, I'd heavily lean towards a new high quality replacement battery. Before looking at anything else (including injectors), the battery needs to be dealt with first. Then do a hard reset.

The following users liked this post:
daverb (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
If that battery is in very cold climate like your stating, I'd get a battery warmer and/or tender. If that battery is over 3 years old, I'd heavily lean towards a new high quality replacement battery. Before looking at anything else (including injectors), the battery needs to be dealt with first. Then do a hard reset.
Thanks, I will look into that today, since I was "Old Show school" trained on cars and haven't worked on them for many, many yrs, I am so grateful for the help and the help from the forum. Do you remember to how do the hard reset

Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Remove the ground cable from the battery and touch it to the positive post for a few seconds.

daverb (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Hard to see how both banks would suddenly have the same injector go bad so you're probably looking for another explanation.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Hard to see how both banks would suddenly have the same injector go bad so you're probably looking for another explanation.
I thought the same thing, could be a false reading from my code reader, or something else, after I bought it I had already planned on doing some things, some myself and some at the garage I use. I figured since I will have it in there I will have them hook up their code reader, that only cost $69. and that sure is cheap ,But that will wait until about next week since the girlfriends van is going in the shop and she hates getting into the XJS. LOL she enjoys the ride but not getting in and out

Old 12-13-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Fuel pump on the way out .... real soon.

Jhartz (12-13-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Fuel pump on the way out .... real soon.
Funny...I was noticing a drop in fuel mileage, the occasional hard start...no codes, but nothing I could put my finger on.

One day, engine just cranked. Pulled out my fuel system pressure gauge and hooked up to the test valve on the fuel rails. Nothing.

Out came the tank. Checked voltages, relay, connections. Nada. Pump dead (and the in-tank harness connector at the pump end crumbled as I took it off.)

1 new fuel pump, 1 new filter, one new harness. Lots of grunting and swearing (the factory ran the harness for the rear left side marker BETWEEN the fuel filler neck and the overflow hose...so had to pull the harness back from the bumper...grrrr...must have been after lunch at the pub on a friday..). Gently disassembled all the fiddly plastic things (didn't break or snap anything...), put all back together...car fired right up. And, in the removal and replacement...seem to have solved a squeaking noise that came from the back whenever I hit a bump...like it when one job solves two issues...

Leaper's purring (well, had to replace a dodgy ignition coil today, but, that was a 20 minute job). Picking up the new XJR in a couple days...applied for classic (not antique) plates, since it's on classic insurance.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yayy, sounds good!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lean Banks 1 & 2

2002 VDP X308 lean banks 1&2.
First I looked at the fuel system, changed filter and did a system flush.
Thought I had it beaten until the jerking, misfiring, restricted performance and lean banks 1&2 started.
Thanks for the info on the lean banks 1 & 2. I'll start with vaccuume leaks, then the MAF sensor and finish up with plugs and see if any wires and or coils needs to be replaced.
Will get back in a few to give you the results
All the best!
Dicque

Old 12-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Default Probinally solved

went down to my garage last night, was checking for any air leaks in the intake tube and other areas, none noted. Decided to remove the "beautification panels" to check for any breaks/leaks at the purge valve, and load and behold, somehow the electrical plug for the purge valve disconnected. plugged it in, cleared the codes, and all is running well.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

That'll do nicely!

Old 12-27-2016, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
...plugged it in, cleared the codes, and all is running well.
Late Christmas gift, good news!