XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Reverse (backup) parking sensor odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse (backup) parking sensor odd problem

Hi All,

I've got an odd problem I wondered if anyone else had ever experienced.

My parking sensors will intermittently (once maybe twice a minute) stop beeping for a few seconds (different number of seconds each time) and then start working.

Tests done so far:

1. All sensors are clean and clicking as normal.
2. All sensors will respond to objects getting closer when I do a manual walk round the back with a magazine test.
3. All sensors are plugged in properly.

But at the moment, the car is maybe a yard away from my garage wall and should be slowly beeping all the time except it keeps stopping.

Do you think this is a sign of a bad module? If so, if I was to get another one of the same exact numbers will it plug and play or does it have to be recoded to the car?

Yours,

Joe

Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Joe - no any module will do but I suspect parts guys would want to sell the complete kit. It's worth asking the usual Jaguar breakers, but my guess would be eBay, that's where I sold the last one. Have you thought about the speaker? I know the X types failed alarmingly.
It's located on the parcel shelf under the trim, a bit of a git to access, you need to remove the seats, which might look hard but it's a matter of a few screws and bolts.

Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
joebongo (06-12-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh **** - my reply didn't post yesterday.

Thanks for the info Sean. It's good to know it's a plug and play component - the one in the BMW 7 series had to be programmed in and was a right pain to match up.

Having slept on it, if all my sensors are ticking away and they all respond as normal I think it must be the module unless anyone can think of anything else that would cause very intermittent failures/pauses like this.

The speaker sound is all normal - never crackly or anything when in reverse so from that I am assuming the speaker is ok. Does that sound reasonable?