XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Reverse lights issue, need my electrical wizards!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights issue, need my electrical wizards!!

Okay before yall crucify me for this, please understand this is for a friend with limited funds. Now with that being said, he is having the dreaded SLCM issue with no lower brake lights and reverse lights. I've already bypassed the SLCM to trailer connector for brake lights. Now my issue is I cannot seem to get my reverse lights wired in correct sequence. The issue is going back into park, the lights remain on. So can anyone help me out here? I might be overthinking this. I know on the trailer connector there is a pin for reverse lights B+ and reverse lights control. I have wiring diagrams I can post up.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone help? Bump
Originally Posted by JimsjagshopTX
Okay before yall crucify me for this, please understand this is for a friend with limited funds. Now with that being said, he is having the dreaded SLCM issue with no lower brake lights and reverse lights. I've already bypassed the SLCM to trailer connector for brake lights. Now my issue is I cannot seem to get my reverse lights wired in correct sequence. The issue is going back into park, the lights remain on. So can anyone help me out here? I might be overthinking this. I know on the trailer connector there is a pin for reverse lights B+ and reverse lights control. I have wiring diagrams I can post up.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Quickly looking at the 99 MY electrical diagram the reverse control looks like it ties in with the car's actual reverse lights. I'm guessing the idea is that the "control" signal goes HIGH when reverse lights are supposed to be on, which would turn on a relay that goes to the trailer reverse lights. So, the "correct" way to wire a relay and bypassed lights, would be...

So, if you have no reverse lights normally, and the issue is with the SLCM and not on the actual wiring on the car's tail lamp side, it wouldn't help to use the trailer signal to "bypass" the reverse lights. If the normal reverse lamps aren't turning on, there won't be any voltage to turn on the bypass relay.