XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Right side brake light not working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys found a working SCLM on Ebay for 80 bucks w/ free shipping guaranteed to work! Just need to rig up the brake lights to work until it gets here so I can get it out to my mechanic to reprogram. motorcarman can you tell me where the relay or fuse is for the high mounted tail light where I can jump my brake lights for a couple days? I just don't want to get rear ended or a ticket for no brake lights. PM if you want.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 8,082 Likes on 4,876 Posts

The relay locations are all in the FRONT MATTERS section of the Electrical Guides. Page 37 will have the location.

ALL 2001-2003 Jaguar X308 are the SAME.
We used to get new paper Guides every year but when there were NO CHANGES then we just got a new cover page with the year changes.

For MY 2002 and 2003 all we got was a new cover page for 2001 Electrical Guide.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S2001_XJ8.pdf (4.51 MB, 106 views)
The following users liked this post:
johnro6659 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, I need to get a new battery now between the problem with the alternator going belly up and me leaving the lights on the other day leaving the car sit two days before I noticed I murdered the battery. Put it on the charger on full for a whole day and over night on the trickle charger it started the car fine but the next day it was close to dead so dead my jump box wouldn't help. I put my load tester on it and it's just gone. My own fault for not checking the lights before I locked the car up. I keep the lights on auto but put them on manually to check the to see what lights were working and to use the tester to see where I was getting power from or not. If the car wasn't sitting directly in the sun I am sure someone would have let me know. The good thin it's an 85 month Interstate and it's only about 36 months old so I am sure I'll get a good deal on the replacement.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk fuse box assy.

Originally Posted by johnro6659
I am afraid it might be a bad module wires seem to be fine all the connections look good everything seems to be OK. I have to check the numbers to see if I can find one. Pain in the *** IMO what can't Jags be simple. LOL
I had the same issues plus with tun signals on the license plate light would flicker plus th a/c would cut out when in reverse or the park lights were on ....replaced the fuse box in the trunk. All issues fixed after 2 yrs messing with the issues.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any are damaged. I did clean and tighten all the sockets and plugs. I checked the taillight socket housing with an OHM meter and I am getting appropriate readings each component is OK there. I started checking the strength on the plug however got sidetracked water pool reviews and forgot to head again out and end. It got darkish now I'll need to wait.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 2001 has similar problem, dash error on pedal press. HELP!

Just started two days ago. One element of the right rear brake light lamp does not light.

On brake pedal press, amber light illuminates and dash displays warning text "CHECK REAR LIGHTS." Release pedal, warning extinguishes.
The only tail light element not coming on properly is the right rear brake light.
Tail light bulbs (half of which is the same bulb as brake lights), flashers, fog light (left only) and left brake light is fine; side marker lights all the way around are good too.

I swapped tail/brake light bulbs from one side to the other, no joy; and both elements in both bulbs work in the left tail/brake socket.
Checked all of the fuses in the rear fuse box. All good.
No apparent corrosion or damage to the lamp sockets, their plastic housing, or the connector and its pins.

I'm baffled. Following this thread is confusing me. What all goes through the security module? What else could/should I check?

Old 11-09-2020, 04:39 PM

Motorcarman, what is the HMSL, and if I connect there is that a permanent fix? Where is the SLCM in the 2001 XJ8?

Old 11-09-2020, 04:45 PM

So sorry to have idiocy in my veins. I looked into the manual you sent and am able to find the SLCM...I think.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Received 8,082 Likes on 4,876 Posts

The High Mounted Stop Lamp uses a RELAY but the rear lamp (tail lights) STOP LIGHT assys use the SLCM to operate the filaments.

Two different circuits. I have seen people wire the tail lamp stop light circuit to the HMSL relay to get the light to operate.
The bulb fail warning will still indicate a fault.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Default SLCM seems Okay; what about swapping the slcm?

The module doesn't seem to have any visible failures on the circuit board. How much trouble is it to swap out the SCLM for another used one? What would I have to reprogram?

I'm having trouble checking for voltage at the green wire from the tail light assembly connector (Green goes to the right brake light bulb filament.) The harness disappears behind panels, and doesn't reappear at the SLCM connectors. I don't read schematics very well.
I'm not understanding the 2 letter abbreviations.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

If the SLCMs are the same series (see the numbers on the plate left side of the boot/trunk under the carpet. But stick with he member from Kuala Lampur; he is bringing you close to success.

In my case, it took a new SLCM -- but even those from junk yards are getting harder to find.