XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Road Trip Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Road Trip Issues

I drove almost 1,500 miles in the last two days and this is what happened ---

First of all, the car doesn't feel like it has as much power as it once did, but I had it loaded down real good - the trunk was packed solid and the passenger's seat and floor were also packed. As for the back seat, well that's for my 60lb Goldendoodle! I would think that it wouldn't be so loaded down that I'd notice a difference, but just maybe.... Also, I normally drive with the sport shift mode ON, but turned it off for the trip thinking I'd get better gas mileage, maybe that's why I noticed a difference?

Secondly, and this is the worst thing -- the ABS light and ASC Not Available and TRAC Not Available warnings came on after about 3/4 hour of stop and go traffic on Interstate 75 South of Atlanta -- it was hot and humid and even rained a bit after the traffic started up again, but I have no idea what would cause that to happen. When I stopped (about 120 miles later in TN), the warnings went off when I restarted the car and haven't come back on again even with another 800 miles on the ODO and some stop and go traffic in Nashville, so maybe it was a fluke, maybe I should clean the sensors, or maybe I'll just enjoy my vacation and deal with it when I get back to Florida in September! LOL

Finally, My gas mileage averaged just under 23 mpg with an average speed of 70 mph (not bad considering the traffic and the fact that highest speed limit was 70!). I'm quite happy with that MPG! Is it about what others get? Just wondering. And, pulling this discussion full circle, I noticed that the worst "power" issue was after fillling up at a Marathon Gas Station (93 octane) and driving nearly 360 miles with one short stop (mother nature). I then filled up at a Shell Station (92 Octane, I think, or would it be 91?) and the car truly seemed to run a lot better. Wish I had watched the MPG for that Marathon tankful.

Ok, just glad to be in Wisconsin where the weather is soooo much nicer than in Florida! AHHHHHHH!!!!! (That's the sound of me relaxing on the patio!)

Last edited by OldMike; 08-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Glad you made it Mike, I can tell the difference in performance with a passenger in the car, saying that my old man is a very big guy.

Your gas mileage is spot on considering the load. Did you alter tyre pressures or keep them at the higher spec'? This helps economy. It also shows from your report that decent gas is a must. Stick to the well known brands and premium higher octane.

I wouldn't be concerned about the trac/asc - you might have picked up crud on the wheel speed sensor/ring - it's a sensitive system at the best of times. If it comes back then it's time to check the sensors them pump solder points if it stays on.

Sounds like you're well in tune with the car now.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your input, Sean. Sometimes it's good to get some reaffirmation!

Mike

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

No worries how's the view from the patio?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Lovely view from the patio! Tomorrow I'm heading to the woods...

Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I drove almost 1,500 miles in the last two days and this is what happened ---

First of all, the car doesn't feel like it has as much power as it once did, but I had it loaded down real good - the trunk was packed solid and the passenger's seat and floor were also packed. As for the back seat, well that's for my 60lb Goldendoodle! I would think that it wouldn't be so loaded down that I'd notice a difference, but just maybe.... Also, I normally drive with the sport shift mode ON, but turned it off for the trip thinking I'd get better gas mileage, maybe that's why I noticed a difference?

Secondly, and this is the worst thing -- the ABS light and ASC Not Available and TRAC Not Available warnings came on after about 3/4 hour of stop and go traffic on Interstate 75 South of Atlanta -- it was hot and humid and even rained a bit after the traffic started up again, but I have no idea what would cause that to happen. When I stopped (about 120 miles later in TN), the warnings went off when I restarted the car and haven't come back on again even with another 800 miles on the ODO and some stop and go traffic in Nashville, so maybe it was a fluke, maybe I should clean the sensors, or maybe I'll just enjoy my vacation and deal with it when I get back to Florida in September! LOL

Finally, My gas mileage averaged just under 23 mpg with an average speed of 70 mph (not bad considering the traffic and the fact that highest speed limit was 70!). I'm quite happy with that MPG! Is it about what others get? Just wondering. And, pulling this discussion full circle, I noticed that the worst "power" issue was after fillling up at a Marathon Gas Station (93 octane) and driving nearly 360 miles with one short stop (mother nature). I then filled up at a Shell Station (92 Octane, I think, or would it be 91?) and the car truly seemed to run a lot better. Wish I had watched the MPG for that Marathon tankful.

Ok, just glad to be in Wisconsin where the weather is soooo much nicer than in Florida! AHHHHHHH!!!!! (That's the sound of me relaxing on the patio!)
Hey Mike,
I have a 2005 VDP and my dsc and trac not available came on after it rained on the expressway for three hours and it was humid. So that might be your problem. It went away after an hour of dry driving and after i restated the engine everything went back to normal.
-Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Mike, thanks! I had those warnings one other time a few months ago, turned the car off and back on and they went away.