XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rough Engine noise when starting warm

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough Engine noise when starting warm

When ive lets say, gone for a drive, gotten the car comfortable and up to normal temps, i stop, leave the car for 30 minutes and then start the engine again.

I get this noise from the engine, like a rough idle(but its idleing perfect at just over 0.5 RPM, but the engines doing to knocking/slapping but then goes away after like 10-20 seconds, just seems to climb on top of its self and runs fine.

Any ideas.

Does it not seem that these forums are constantly full with transmision faults and other very expenisve repair fault? why would you design a good looking car with such a **** engine and trans and electrics.

Nothing but a total loss unless, you can and have the time to make all repairs your self.

Ive ntoiced there is no direct soloution to any of the transmission problems other than a NEW TCM and a Rebuild and then wait to go again.

Then to find all to be sitting on a weak Engine design, weak head gaskets, timing chain tensioners, which im guessing ive got.

It seems that even before ive gotton on top of the current repairs i have there are more lining up to take there places.

Might get shut and take my loss's now.

Last edited by calico-uk; 01-22-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

RE your noise - listen at the front of valve covers to see if that's where it's from - could be the VVT assembly - it can get noisy with age. Immediate solution appears to be to go up one step in oil viscosity.

Relative to the problems - this is a forum where people come when they HAVE problems... very few show up to say "hey, my car has never had any issues - woohoo!"

Most of what you should expect to see here is problems - same thing you'll see on a Ford or Chevy forum. It tells us very little about the actual percentage of owners that have or have not had problems.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 01-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I come here to see all the problems I do not have, or can avoid by taking care of things. Must work as I have cars going to 200k miles with no problems.
My Jag only has 70k presently, and I have a scratch in the paint, but everything else works as designed. I am happy that there are people out there sharing experiences ad telling us of problems so we can avoid them, or the costs.
If you build 100,000 of something with 100,000 parts, there will be problems. I hear some people have problems with their iPhones, and they are supposed to be perfect!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Default Buy a new one?

Originally Posted by calico-uk
When ive lets say, gone for a drive, gotten the car comfortable and up to normal temps, i stop, leave the car for 30 minutes and then start the engine again.

I get this noise from the engine, like a rough idle(but its idleing perfect at just over 0.5 RPM, but the engines doing to knocking/slapping but then goes away after like 10-20 seconds, just seems to climb on top of its self and runs fine.

Any ideas.

Does it not seem that these forums are constantly full with transmision faults and other very expenisve repair fault? why would you design a good looking car with such a **** engine and trans and electrics.

Nothing but a total loss unless, you can and have the time to make all repairs your self.

Ive ntoiced there is no direct soloution to any of the transmission problems other than a NEW TCM and a Rebuild and then wait to go again.

Then to find all to be sitting on a weak Engine design, weak head gaskets, timing chain tensioners, which im guessing ive got.

It seems that even before ive gotton on top of the current repairs i have there are more lining up to take there places.

Might get shut and take my loss's now.
Only people with problems tend to post on forums. The people on here also tend to be enthusiasts with older cars, older cars have problems, like older people - age related.....

If you want to avoid problems buy a new car and sell it before the warranty expires.

My wife just bought a new Kia Soul fully loaded, leather, privacy glass, bluetooth, climate air, cd, satnav, parking sensors, spots, folding mirrors, cruise and a load of other junk. 7 year warranty and its got an awful rattle on the left side after only 65 miles!

My XJR had full service history and only 85k but lots of problesm caused by poor service. I'm slowly working my way through them.

If you want to avoid problems buy a new car and sell it before the warranty expires.

Peter

Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Sorry for repeating myself - finger trouble...

Peter

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by voodooman
Only people with problems tend to post on forums. The people on here also tend to be enthusiasts with older cars, older cars have problems, like older people - age related.....

My wife just bought a new Kia Soul fully loaded, leather, privacy glass, bluetooth, climate air, cd, satnav, parking sensors, spots, folding mirrors, cruise and a load of other junk. 7 year warranty and its got an awful rattle on the left side after only 65 miles!

My XJR had full service history and only 85k but lots of problesm caused by poor service. I'm slowly working my way through them.

Peter
I suppose thats why GB doesn't have a single producton car still under its belt that hasn't been bought out by the Germans and why half of Birmingham is unemployed lolz.

Has anybody seen that old film with gary oldman in it called "The firm". its a old Football Hooligan drama, with actors like Nick dunn in it (the tudors) and a few others, theres this scene in it where obo, one of the top boys from the Birmingham crew, goes on about selling the *******s a British car, because they would break down and be stranded some place.
LOLZ, Usless infro right?.

Its not that i dont love this car and the way it looks, drives and feel's in the inside, it just seems that its not so "user friendly" to work on and that there isn't any real direct soloution to many of the common problems they have. Im with you on car and attention when it comes to looking after cars...is anybody aware of the Head gasket design faults that all Rovers where built with Rover K engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that put thousands of Brits out of work and the MINI in the hands of the Germans, best place for it right?

I remeber going to a aluminum plant in Sutton in Ashfiled, Nottinghamshire once, to carry a bunch of MINI BMW's dash panels to Coventry..absolute britle crap they where.

So yeah, i guess if you love the car, you keep it and you learn how to read the problems and keep on top of them...has anybody heard the joke about "my daughters not dating a Jaguar owner"?

Becuase hes always broke and need a ****ing lift to the pub everynight.

LOLz, im keeping the car regardless, even with the qurks it has.

Kind regards,

Mike.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

The Jaguar V8 is a beautifully designed, if fragile, engine. If it is updated with new cam chain tensioners and the plastic parts are kept up, they are very durable. The trannys are either ZF or Mercedes. The leather, wood, and carpet are incomparable. if again a little fragile. I had a 1985 XJ6 for 14 years and got the ribbings all the time about Jaguar reliability, electrics, etc. After the tappets were sorted out (by me), it was a marvelous car and was going strong when I sold it. Yes, cars do age. It's funny to see people complaining about issues on a 10 year-old Jaguar and then comparing it to an almost new Honda or Acura. I feel the Jaguar is more of an enthusist's (sp) car, and not suitable for soccer moms or people who don't know how to check their own oil, or appreciate the finer points of motoring. Of course that doesn't include anybody on here. ;^) Just babbling. Cheers

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Smile Random engine noise starting warm

OK, i have checked the 2nd tensioners and they are the ones with the White plastic runners against the chain, not the red ones, so i guess mines allready been done, the tollerance in both chains is perfect and the condition of the lobes at inspection is floorless to unwarn condition for the year, very clean inside there.

Im guessing with this issue only happening on start up and only for about 10 senconds (when the engine is warm) has something to do with a incorrect air fuel ratio combo (with out the aid of the auto choke as the car is warm).

Its probably electrical if not, where is the pvc valve on this car or does it even have one/or the idle air control module.?

i do have to stress this doesn't happen everytime, thus i am prety sure its not a mechanical fault, intake or electrical im sure. once the car has cimbed on top of its self it tip'tap'tip'taps with clear grace as it should, infact you cant even tell the car is switched on its so steady.

same with my transmission fault (amber) flashing on at random points, but no limp mode, just a dull light thump under the car but then seems normal to drive?.

I might check my TCM terminal points to see if there is any signs of dirt, i may even pay the 150 and get the bloody thing flashed, yet i suspect i might as well set fire to the money and run around in circles waving it in the air.

Thoughts...check PVC valve and tubes, check Idle air control module, clean TCM and ECM connection prongs..go back to school and learn how to spell.

Any help plz..

Mike

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

<<I suppose thats why GB doesn't have a single producton car still under its belt that hasn't been bought out by the Germans and why half of Birmingham is unemployed lolz.>>

Yeh, I heard half of Detroit is unemployed as well. Guess not every one in America likes the home grown product.

My wifes Kia Soul, made in Korea, designed by a former Audi designer for the California market if the blurb is to be believed.

I like the XJR because at least it still looks like a Jag unlike the XF or new XJ.

We still have one car, the Morgan ! and most of the Formula 1 cars are made in England and a few Cart cars are made here as well arent they?

Peter

Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by voodooman
<<I suppose thats why GB doesn't have a single producton car still under its belt that hasn't been bought out by the Germans and why half of Birmingham is unemployed lolz.>>

Yeh, I heard half of Detroit is unemployed as well. Guess not every one in America likes the home grown product.

My wifes Kia Soul, made in Korea, designed by a former Audi designer for the California market if the blurb is to be believed.

I like the XJR because at least it still looks like a Jag unlike the XF or new XJ.

We still have one car, the Morgan ! and most of the Formula 1 cars are made in England and a few Cart cars are made here as well arent they?

Peter
I suppoe when u concider the global market, the actual "putting together of the vehicle" could be anywhere, yet the designs, the floor plates, the engines, the electrics, almost everything is a mish-mash of the auto industry market and its a global affiar.

Some hoe German/japanise has always been a safe bet, unless of course you remeber the days of Rotting datsun's floating around the uk.

Yet the Mrk II VW GTI engine will always be my old faithful as being the most durable peice of machinary every produced.

When i look at the front end of my XJ8 in light grey it just makes me think "Gold finger".

The new KIA's and the New Fords for a matter of fact are the new "Buy a Honda" bracket nowdays here, IM really impressed with the new fords for sure and my wife just bought a 2011 Sorento, lolz. So we got a few things in common for sure.

Ive always been the economy/performance sub-compact guru, looking at 10 bucks worht of gas lasting me 3 days and still being able to out menouver and out pace larger vehicles.

Then one day i just woke up and thought, you only live once and its time for a Sedan with either a v6 or a v8.

I first drove the daughters Toyota Solara for a while and ive got to be honest, ive always frowned upon Toyota, knowing there put together in Derbyshire for one reason and second, they just look like plastic.

But they drive great, really good powerful engines and great stock sound systems, god knows what they put in those things at stock but there good.

Ive really got High hopes for this Xj8, just working through the problems as i got, got to replace the thero T-housing, the rotors and pads, both strut mounts are decaying, and ive got this after market stereo to deal with, the random trans light...hmmm just going to keep driving it..i took a look at the TCM yesterday to see if i could find any lose connections or any caps.

Ive put the vehile into Master reset mode again, to see if that cures it again, if so, i may take the plunge with the TCM bios Re-program.

O yes, OPEL isnt that still in Luton?? or vaxhall (cant spell it off hand, thats how much intrest ive given them over the years).

Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I've owned a whole mess of cars over the years, and this being my first English Car. I've now got around 145k miles on it, and I have to say, this car has been pretty rock solid for me. I have had to do fuel pumps, and a couple misc items, but no more than any other car with this many miles and this old.

As a matter of fact, my brothers keep commenting on how little I've had to do to it compared to other cars I've had and their cars. Especially considering the reputation the Jaguar has. Personally, I don't believe it has earned the reputation, I think it just has to do with the fact that when the repairs do come up, (common to all makes and models), they tend to cost more, so they get more press.

For comparisons, my 1966 Mustang went through 4 motors and three transmissions. Difference was they only cost $500-$1000 each and were an afternoon to install... But, it didn't drive anything like my XJR. Everyone who gets into it comments about the ride and quality. Nobody can believe it's a 13 year old car.

I also believe I lucked out and got a good one that was maintained very well. The tensionors, cooling, and throttle body were all done before I got it. But this holds true to MOST modern cars. If maintained well, they will last a very long time.