XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rough idles then dies--Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idles then dies--Help!

I recently bought my 2000 jaguar xj8 less than a month ago. Well in the last two weeks it has developed a knocking noise which I chalked up to the old and cracked serpentine belt. It has driven like a champ the entire time I have owned it except for the rotors being waved which I already had the parts to fix.

Yesterday I was driving around town running errands and everything seemed fine. There was one single time that I had gone into a store and come out and when inserting key and turning it over to start nothing happened. A minute later it started fine.

Then an hour later I was sitting at a red light and when I went to go the car start to slowly die out and the dash read 'engine stall' and the check engine light came on. It would not start again although it cranked. I had it towed home.

I hooked up my scanner to it and it read out the following codes--p0128, p1642, and p1000. The car also told me the ASC and TRAC were off, the radio flashed 'AR', and the car was in failsafe mode.

After a few hours of letting it sit the car would crank over and start but at a very rough idle and then die down. I went to bed and came back this morning. The warnings like the failsafe, ASC, and TRAC were gone but it again cranked over and started at a rough idle then died down.

We noticed that a noise of some sort was coming from the throttle system area--like a warning that sounds like a whine. I have looked everywhere online and everything is telling me different crap that isnt quite what I am experiencing. Please help I need to try to at least diagnose it.

I don't have much money right now--I'm supposed to start a new job in a week but now I don't have a car--and if I can't fix it I want to at least diagnose it so I can sell it for bottom dollar and buy a cheap motorcycle to get to and from work.

Please help this is really starting to tear me down.

Thank you.

Last edited by JimC64; 09-26-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: LINE BREAKS ADDED