XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ruff idle after k&N intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ruff idle after k&N intake problem

Hell all. I'm sure its been posted before but i need help with my jag ASAP. I have a 03 xjr and after K&N intake it ran fine for the 1st few days but went to drive today and it sound like its going to die and i dont want to damage anything. I know i can alway put the factory one back on and hope that fixes the problem but i allready paid for the k&n and would rather use it. If anyone has experienced this before or nows a fix please let me know. Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Some K&N filters are loaded with an oil to catch debris, I think it can effect the mass air flow sensors within the intake tube.

Try and clean the MAF sensor with an electrical contact cleaner spray, you'll need to remove it from the sensor housing with two posi drive screws, wiggle it out.

Another thing it could be is an air leak, so check your install also, as it only takes the induction tube to sit on the throttle body slightly uneven to induce a leak.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 AM

sean thanks for the info i check for the leak since i put the new filter on it does pull the induction tube down more so it could be causing a leak at the TB. Thanks again

Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM

Ok icleaned mas sensor and made sure no leakes at TB and no car starts fine but dies right after like its not getting enough gas. i tried putting the pedal down al= light to keep it going but dosnt help. I need some help guys. anything would help. Thanks

Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Your issue might be unrelated to the K&N, it actually sounds like a fuel pump issue. There are two fuel pumps on the XJR and when one dies, you can experience your exact symptoms. I would get the fuel pressure checked on the rail.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Go back to stock unit... if problem persists, time to look elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Since you are trouble shooting, you start by baselining your configuration

That means putting the stock system back on to eliminate the differences.

If it works, you have a problem with the K&N or the way you installed it. If it does not work, you have eliminated one possible source and can move on to look for other problems, such as the one suggested by midlifexjr.

edit: Quadmaniac has said just about the same thing in his post above.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the input i guess back to stock it is. If that dosnt work fuel pump check next.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Also, the maf is super sensitive to variations, I would do a hard reset as a matter of course on doing something like adding a K&N, the hard reset re calibrates the throttle body, yours sounds like it's still running an engine map with the old filter.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Here is an update. Did hard reset and no change. put factory intake back on and no change. Did hard reset again with factory intake and no change. so, not going well

Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Check to make sure MAF connector is seated
Check to make sure hose from intake to valve cover is attached and snug Any cracks etc?
Check to make sure the intake pipe is tight to the throttle body
Check to see if the vacuum tubes under the air filter box have been disturbed/broken
Check CPS/connector to see if it is dirty...
The fuel rail does seem to be a good place to check since the car ran fine for a few days....
Also check fuses....

All of the above should not take more than an hour and will eliminate alot of possibilities.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
Your issue might be unrelated to the K&N, it actually sounds like a fuel pump issue. There are two fuel pumps on the XJR and when one dies, you can experience your exact symptoms. I would get the fuel pressure checked on the rail.
Not sure because the fuel pumps on the XJR work in the following way:

1/ when turning the ignition ON, pump #2 energize for a few seconds to built up pressure and then is turned off.

2/ Pump #1 in turned on at cranking and stay on.

3/ Pump #2 is turned ON at about 4000rpms to add fuel

4/ If pump #1 is defective, ( based on electrical load, not fuel flow) pump #2 stay on after step #1

Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 PM

thanks for the input dsnyder, i have checked all the hoses and everything is snaped on tigh. The hose going from the intake to the valve cover had some oil in or around the end that ataches to the valve cover. is that suppose to have that? i thought about spraying the MAF cleaner on the contacts of the plug for the sensor but wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt it first. the little red light on the dash was on before withe K&N but went off after i put the factory one back on then after a few tries of starting it the red light came back on but im not getting any other lights or warnings.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Crankshaft position sensor clean and connected tightly?

I have heard of more than one person having start/run issues when that went bad. I replaced mine the day I purchased my XJR.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

How long have you driven with either the K&N, or now back to stock, before determining that it isn't running properly? The computer will take some time, during drive time, to reset the fuel mixtures to optimize for any change.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM

It ran for days fine on the k&N then i went to drive it and it started but was running ruff so i didnt drive it. after a few more days it would start but then die right after.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 PM

No i havnt done anything with the crankshaft position sensor but will add it to the list of possabilities. any advice on how to clean or replace it. the only diagram i could find of it shows its on the back side of the engine near the cabin and looks like it might be hard to get to.

Last edited by Jag-man; 08-07-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

It is on the bottom of the bell housing, hidden a little by the steering rack.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 PM

ok thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM

ok guys my mechanic has been looking it over and cant seem pin point it. I checked all fuses under the hood and all good. he said the fuel pump dosnt have any drop in electrical current he is also going to check the fuel pressure. any other advice or ideas i could go over with him? i need all those years of jag experience from everyone please. Thanks

Quick Reply: ruff idle after k&N intake problem