XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sagging Headlining

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sagging Headlining

I replaced the headliner in my 2002 VDP XJ8 this summer. Did the work of removal and replacement myself. Took about 45 minutes each way. Here are some lessons learned:

1) After removing the visors, assist handles, roof moldings, roof console etc the headliner comes right down.
2) I was able to remove it through the rear door, although it won't fit by about 6 inches. Some bending is required. As it turns out, I did not damage the backing when it was reinstalled.
3) I took the removed headliner to an upholstery shop. I made sure that he used DAP Weldwood Laundau Top adhesive, the spray on type. He said, yep, that is the only product to use. He made a perfect match on the fabric. He was happy that i had not tried to use adhesives myself; he said it can ruin the backing board or at a minimum make his job of removing the old foam and adhesive much harder. I ordered and extra 2 linear yards so that I can do the sunroof someday if it sags too. His price for the replacement liner and labor & adhesive: $135.
4) It is the foam that deteriorates in the old headliner, but he said his product has never come back to his shop, after more than 20 years on the cars he repairs. Not sure why Jag used used a cheap foam.
5) Reinstalling the headliner will require bending the backerboard once again. It is similar to a fiberglass mat type product. Although I bent it about 6 inches again, once it is installed it had no creases, no wrinkles.

Hope this helps those of you that have this problem! I have heard stories of estimates in the $1500 range, so it felt pretty good to do it myself. Still looks good three months later, so hopefully it will last longer than the original!

Cheers,

Twoblackjags

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Good post. Do you have any pictures?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta do mine soon as the rear is starting to sag. Mine is a long wheel base Daimler, I wonder if it will work through the back door as the extra length in the door should be the same as the extra length in the roof?
Regards
Gareth
South Africa

Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by garethww
Gotta do mine soon as the rear is starting to sag. Mine is a long wheel base Daimler, I wonder if it will work through the back door as the extra length in the door should be the same as the extra length in the roof?
Regards
Gareth
South Africa
The VDP has the extra wheelbase too with the big rear doors. It still won't fit. Although i described `bending' the headliner, perhaps `curling' it would be a better description. Also, when I reinstalled the headliner, I had my brother help me. Two set of hands really helps to get it back in through the door opening. One pushing, and one pulling, both `curling' the headliner. Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by avt007
Good post. Do you have any pictures?
No pictures, sorry. Probably looks the same as all of them.
PS...Glad to see other 911 guys own Jags too. I have a 79 SC and a 95 993!

Cheers,