XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Salvage 2001 XJR Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022 | 11:06 AM
|
Default Salvage 2001 XJR Delivered

The 2001 XJR I bought off a CoPart lot arrived today. 105k miles. Started right up. Only code P0442 (EVAP small leak). Interior in great shape except sagging headliner and prior owner was a smoker. Paint very good and no significant marks other than in pics below. Some minor curb rash on wheels. Almost new Pirelli P Zeros all around. As stated in my prior post, I bought with plans to use wheels, interior and some miscellaneous part on my 2002 XJ8 swap project and sell the rest. From eBay prices for engine and tranny and catalytic converter recyle figure can clear at least $4,500. Lots of members said save her if you can.

CoPart had listed as frame damage. Have not seen any such damage and will put on lift later. From pics, looks like slow speed rear end collision that pushed her into another car. Scratches on rear bumper looks like pushed bumper into body and then rebounded. Body work needed is refinish both bumpers, fix hood, fix grill and fix dent in passenger quarter panel by headlights. Don't know if body shop could fix the hood or if new hood and repaint needed. Any one with body shop experience that can weigh in and price estimate?

Old 08-12-2022 | 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

The creases in the fender and hood would probably require more time to get right than it would be worth.
It's the hard creases that are hard to get right. It can be done, so you might want to give it a good try.
If you are very patient, you might get away with using the bumper covers. You can straighten out the
grill, and maybe repair the grill holder. The main concern for me would be to get rid of the smoker smell.
I have had minor success using charcoal briquettes spread out through the interior and letting it sit in the
hot sun, then using various odor neutralizing sprays
If she runs well and shows no major issues, she could result in a real beauty and something you could
take great pride in. If that color is Quartz, that is a real plus in my book.

Old 08-12-2022 | 12:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by RandyS
If that color is Quartz, that is a real plus in my book.
Door paid code is LGL which comes up as Titanium Mica.

Old 08-12-2022 | 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Where those creases are on the fender, you'd need to replace that. I'd say the same for the hood, just the dolly and hammer time would cost more than a replacement and respray.
If you would be seriously interested in it, then here's a link of places for fenders...and hoods...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I came up with a number of yards within 100 miles of you to include one in Defuniak Springs...most in AL. Just remember, the asking price is just that...time to haggle baby. "Oh, I'm coming from Tallahassee, that's a lot of gas for that price...wahh, wahh, wahh" ...you know the gimmick.

As for Coparts listing of frame damage, I'll bet if you look where the bumpers mount, they may be bent and that's considered part of the frame. Plus the framing for the radiator and headlights could be described by someone as frame damage, we are talking Copart afterall.

Last edited by Highhorse; 08-12-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2022 | 09:37 PM
|

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Where those creases are on the fender, you'd need to replace that. I'd say the same for the hood, just the dolly and hammer time would cost more than a replacement and respray.
Dropped by a body shop where I know the manager. They will not work on salvage title cars. He said this is rule with corporate owned body shops. He said I coukd find an independent body shop who will work on salvage title cars. If decided to repair, his suggestion was to find a replacement hood and fender on my own. Probably can find those parts for around $600. He estimated painting and blending the hood and fender and redoing the bumpers at $4000. I have $3800 in the car ($2300 purchase price, $800 in CoPart fees and $700 delivery).
So looking at about having $8400 in the car when fixed. Without a salvage title, after fiixed it would be a $12000-15000 car. Unknown how much a salvage title reduces the value. If part out figure can get $5.000 plus use the interior, rims and tires for my LS swap project.
Leaning to parting out.

Old 08-13-2022 | 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

If you find that you do not want to keep the car for yourself, then parting it out makes sense.
A salvage title in a resale situation is never good for the seller. The quotes for repair seem a
bit high, but the body repair market changes rapidly and makes it difficult to know what to expect.

Old 08-13-2022 | 06:12 AM

Knock 40% off your retail price for the word "salvage" on the title in my book...and be prepared for it to take forever to sell it. As a purely financial transaction, I would lean towards parting it unless its something you would want to keep and drive yourself long term.

Old 08-13-2022 | 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

For the salvage title, I'd ask any insurance company how that effects the rate if at all. Here's Florida's evaluation of a salvage title... https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/salvaged-vehicles.php ...after repairs are rendered, you can apply for a rebuilt title. If your going to play on Copart, knowing these regulations are important before getting into one of their sales.

Old 08-13-2022 | 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

In Tennessee, the steps are similar.
Salvage (tn.gov)

Old 08-13-2022 | 01:50 PM
|

If your going to play on Copart, knowing these regulations are important before getting into one of their sales.
Bought with the intention to use as a parts car. Use some, sell the rest.

Old 08-13-2022 | 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yes, understood, but you were inquiring about cost since others were pushing a bit to get it on the road.

Old 08-13-2022 | 03:13 PM
|

Oh yes, understood, but you were inquiring about cost since others were pushing a bit to get it on the road.
I think if I didn’t have my 2002 XJ8 LS swap project I’d fix her up. Wouldn’t be concerned about lessened value of a salvage title because wouldn’t sell.

Old 08-13-2022 | 10:32 PM

Sounds like a decent find if you're using it for parts and selling the rest. Would be cool to fix, but definitely not financially worth it seeing the damage. Maybe to keep, but you'll never make a penny on it. Even without a dirty title with the mileage that's a $5-6k car tops. Good luck with it, glad it runs good and has good parts on it.

Old 08-13-2022 | 10:33 PM
|

Put the car on the lift. No frame damage. Bumper shocks did their job with no bending. Can't open the bonnet. The lever seems to work but it won't pop. Looks like bonnet got pushed back a couple millimeters. I think it's binding at the pins. Hood is junk so probably going to just cut out.

Old 08-14-2022 | 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

You might have to go through the wheel well to release the hood/bonnet.

Old 08-14-2022 | 01:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by RandyS
You might have to go through the wheel well to release the hood/bonnet.
Bonnet was trash anyway so drilled. Popped open as soon as drilled though. Release lever was working. The accident must have jammed the pin back.

Old 08-14-2022 | 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I don't think I have ever seen that approach before. It looks like a perfect place for
some nice chrome stacks. (kidding)

Old 08-14-2022 | 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Eww, nice place for twist cap lock downs.

Old 08-14-2022 | 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

One on each side… not everyone’s cup of tea but quite nicely executed from the side pipes to the nitrous oxide to the twist cap lock downs.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022 | 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

You know that's where the real power is there. The tighter they are locked, the more pressure....lol

That spoiler is one of my favorite things from the 70's, no matter if its on a Mopar, Ford or Chevy, they just look right.

I see you already put it in, ...Best car you seen this week, not yours...nice.

Last edited by Highhorse; 08-15-2022 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Salvage 2001 XJR Delivered