XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seat squab cover question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat squab cover question

Hello there

I am thinking about removing the leather seat squabs in my 2002 XJ8 X308 to replace the foam as it absolutely stinks. Can anyone advised as to how easy this could be ? Are there hog ties underneath the seat area and not just around the edge where the covers are stretched over the frame ?

Has anyone done this , am I mad to attempt it ?

Best

Ottomoss

Old 09-24-2021, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

I don't feel your daft...I'm going to be doing mine as soon as I get my new carpet and Corvette rear-end back together to get it out of the garage.
Like any seat, its my understanding these are hog ring snugged. If you want to take a look, move the seat back, undo the front rail mount nuts, the lean your back forward as far as it will go, move the seat forward to remove the rear nuts, you may have to move the seat back a bit and lean the whole assembly into the back seat. As you lean it back, you'll have to undo the motor drive clips.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:58 PM
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Just found a suitable replacement for my driver seat bottom in wrecking yard. The yard sold me the whole seat which was a total life-saver as I could take a loose seat apart and know what was necessary to do the swap. Yes, there's a lot involved, but with patience and normal hand tools it is very doable. You will have to pull the seat out of the car. (See reply above.) In addition to disconnecting the electrics, 1st thing is to pull the the seat control panel from the side. When you prop the seat up in front of you, you'll see everything that needs to be removed/disconnected. There are no hog rings holding the cushion, instead there is a hard, formed "rod" you'll feel along the edge on both the front and rear of the cover. There are springs attached to the lower cushion as well.
Good luck!

For what it's worth, the pic below is included.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:00 PM
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Just found a suitable replacement for my driver seat bottom in wrecking yard. The yard sold me the whole seat which was a total life-saver as I could take a loose seat apart and know what was necessary to do the swap. Yes, there's a lot involved, but with patience and normal hand tools it is very doable. You will have to pull the seat out of the car. (See reply above.) In addition to disconnecting the electrics, 1st thing is to pull the the seat control panel from the side. When you prop the seat up in front of you, you'll see everything that needs to be removed/disconnected. There are no hog rings holding the cushion, instead there is a hard, formed "rod" you'll feel along the edge on both the front and rear of the cover.
Good luck!

For what it's worth, the pic below is included.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

sweet deal until you had to lug that heavy thing out. 👍