XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seats

The interior of my X308 is Nimbus Grey, which don't like. I have the opportunity to buy an Ivory interior, which is to my liking. The trouble is that the Ivory front seats are the basic type with just electric raise and lower and manual fore and aft. Is it possible to transfer all the electrics from my Nimbus Grey seats to the basic seats? Thanks Bill W.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe you just need to transfer the "skins" to the more complicated seat frame. There is a very recent thread here which gives instructions for doing that.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Default seats

Is there any way the additional motors and switches can be transferred? I would have thought that the seat frames would all be the same, and then either equipped with the electrics or fitted just with the raise and lower motor for the basic seat?? Bill W.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm confused.... Aren't all the motors and switches connected to your present seat frame? So if you transfer the skin over to your existing frame, you should have all the functionality. Am I missing something?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

You don't fancy the re-trim?

Find a fully spec'd out ivory trim, EuroJag/Black country Jaguar might be able to help. I'd leave the 'basic set' alone the main reason being the mounting points might not be there for the added motors, and it's more technical work than a re-trim, the range of motion might not be there.

If you want the ivory, I can do the re-trim for you at a reasonable cost, its a case of getting both sets to me.

The following users liked this post:
Heliwilly (02-23-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Default Seats

Boomer, When I bought my present XJ8, it had nimbus grey interior, which I don't like. I also found that the rear of the seat wouldn't raise or lower. It turned out the 2 triangular brackets at the back of the seat were broken. I have ordered another seat frame. I now have the chance to buy an Ivory interior, so I was wondering if it was easier to transfer the skin to the new seat frame along with the motors, or whether I could transfer the motors etc to the new Ivory seats I am going to buy. The thing is that the new Ivory seats are basic seats. I am trying to find out whether the seat frames of both basic and full electric are the same. If so I could just swap the motors and associated gearboxes. Hope that explains things a bit.
Sean. Re-trim would be nice, but looking for a cheaper option to get an Ivory interior. Thanks all the same.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

It really is a shame you didn't begin this Saga about 6 months ago when I had full Ivory XJ8 interior in remarkable condition for sale. I had it on ebay a few times and no one bid, so it has now been separated. The front seats are in a Motorhome, the centre console has been adapted to fit in another vehicle and I only have the rear bench seat left.

Is it Ivory you specifically want or would you be happy with a similar colour, like Oatmeal for example? I only ask because Oatmeal is more readily available for XJ8 application.

IMO It is a waste of your time to continue along the route of re trimming or swapping motors and frames, because you will run into a problem of some degree half way through and end up with no seats.

If you want the rear seats I have, pm me I'm sure we can get them to you easily.

Heliwilly (02-23-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Default Seats

Stu,
I have an X300 that I am selling that has a Cream interior, and I like that. The problem is that the Grey interior is so bland and needs to be lightened. The X300 and the X308 are both Sapphire blue, and side by side the 308 looks so dull. I suppose that any light colour from Cream and lighter would be OK. Another problem is that the X308 is a Sovereign with all electric seats etc. Finding the all electric seats is also causing a problem. I'm sure I will get there eventually. As you say pity I hadn't got the X308 6 months ago. The main reason I bought this car is that it has had both the engine replaced, 70,000miles ago, and the gearbox replaced 15,000 miles ago.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

OK I have been musing on this all day. I have the following to propose.

Do you have Ivory Door Cards?

I can ask my friend with the motor home would he swap colours of the seats. I can have the ALL ELECTRIC Ivory leather interior back together and ready to fit into your car, but you would have to give me your Nimbus seats so I can fit them into the motor home.

If you really wanted Sean B and myself could have them fitted in your car inside of an hour, working. But for this we would require payment. Also if my pal is reluctant to part with the Ivory, some pictures of the Queen may help there too.

Let me know if you want me to enquire about this.

S.

Heliwilly (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Managed to locate full interior in Ivory for £150 from a 1998 X308. Looks good as well. Pick it up Wednesday. Thanks for the offer Stu. Bill W.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

OK Cool, glad you managed to get that sorted. The Ivory interior really is something else, I previously had Oatmeal but the SVO Ivory interior I have is beautiful and really makes the car special.

Enjoy!
Stu.