XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seats, Memory, Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats, Memory, Fobs

I have searched the site for info and hoping someone can lend a hand.

i have a 1998 XJ8. The remotes do not work anymore. I took it to the dealer and they said the remotes were bad after charging me to reprogam them. I have tested the remotes and have found that they are putting out a signal, used the tester box at the parts store. i asked the service dept if it could be the computer in the car and they said it will go into program mode but will not take the remotes for programming. I had them cut me a new key while i was at it.

The other odd thing, is when i set the memory for the seats and mirrors, the mirrors and steering wheel are the only thing that will move to the adjutments, the seats will not move where they should. Sometimes when i put the key in the ignition the driver seat back will go all the way to a reclining position and the seats move back, all this from just putting the key in the ignition, not even turning it.

Is there one module that controls all the above symptoms?

The dealer is a long way from me so i would prefer not having to take it back to them to be told it takes more looking into to find the problem when i already did just that.

Any thoughts? Help, or suggestions??

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Seats, Memory, Fobs

Yes, the drivers seat module stores the memory positions. Wiring problems under the seat and at the seat switch are common as well as bad modules. Down and dirty trick, pull the module from the passenger seat and install in the drivers seat and see if function resumes. Most modules have the memory function installed at the factory even if the seat(passenger) doesn't have memory switches. Make sure you check the wiring though, the reclining seat back on its own is usually a wiring problem.

As for the fobs not working, the security locking module can enter programming mode and still be the cause of fobs not programming. I normally try 2 things. Try to program the questioned fobs(yours) to another compatible car, and try programming a known working fob to your car. That will answer your fob problem in no time.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there any way to program the key fob to close the open windows on xj8 98? it works with the key if i hold the key turned for few seconds when i lock the door...?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 AM

thanks for the info.

The rear view mirror was bad and i had to get another one hopefully that will correct the auto function.

I will check under the seat and try the passenger mod swap if the wiring is good.

I wish i had a another vehicle to program my fobs to but i do not and to not know of anyone that does. anyone willing to test them out for me if i send them to you??? Shot in the dark but you never know. Where is the security module located at?

I appreciated the info and help greatly. I bought the car CHEAP due to a bad tranny and rebuilt the, sorry, Gearbox and valve body with LT fluid for 800.00 myself, and these are the last small items to get taken care of.

many thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

the drivers rear door module saves the memory.
ive had that exact problem on 2002 XJR would recline.. all the way back intermittently
finally found the seat wiring to be bad.. also for the remotes.. give the security and locking module a ford handshake.. its under the trunk fuse box.. disconnect it for 5 minutes and reconnect it. and try to program your remotes .. if it works then program the remotes to your seat memories.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

ford handshake

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 AM
BVP

Hi, I am borrowing the thread becuase I have some problems with the memory functions in my xj8-99. When I try to save the settings for mirrors, seat and steering wheel on a memory button in the door panel, there is no confirming beep which there should be according to the manual. When I at the same time also associate the remote with this memory setting, according to the manual, there is actually is a beep. When I turn off and leave the car nothing happens (perhaps as it should be?) BUT, when I return and unlock the car nothing happens. Then, when I put the key in, all adjustments go back to some sort of default mode, i e not my preferred settings. Seems completely backwards, since the settings are fine until I put the key in..! :-) Very annoying since I have to do all adjustments before every drive. I haven't even begun guessing what might be wrong, but I was thinking of disconnecting the battery for a while just to let everything "reboot".

This thread got me thinking perhaps it is the wiringproblems mentioned. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Ok, so the rear view mirror did take care of the auto dim feature, thank you very much for the help.

I was not able to pull the seat yet, but reaching under the seat i and trying to play with the plugs, did give a little headway. now the seats act like they want to move, so it definately sounds like a wiring problem. Will be checking that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion on that one.

Will try out the Ford Handshake and hope that will resolve the problem as they did work before.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM

i have tried the ford handshake and that did not work unfortunately. Does anyone have any other ideas? The car will go into learning mode, just does not learn, guess it cut school to much.

Anyone know of a reliable, cheap place to pick up a used one?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rrumba
Ok, so the rear view mirror did take care of the auto dim feature, thank you very much for the help.

I was not able to pull the seat yet, but reaching under the seat i and trying to play with the plugs, did give a little headway. now the seats act like they want to move, so it definately sounds like a wiring problem. Will be checking that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion on that one.

Will try out the Ford Handshake and hope that will resolve the problem as they did work before.
Where did you get your Rear View Mirror, and how much was it? If you don't mind saying. I've got a bad mirror too.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
BVP

Let me know how it went, please! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
BVP

Too bad! Ok, I'll let you know if I have any success, but it will be a while.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM

My problem started after I reprogramed a new fob (fobs) on my 2001 Vanden Plau. Now my seat stays stationary when exiting and entering the car but when I push the 1,2 or 3 setting buttons it goes to those positions. Any suggestions? Paul

Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljoane
My problem started after I reprogramed a new fob (fobs) on my 2001 Vanden Plau. Now my seat stays stationary when exiting and entering the car but when I push the 1,2 or 3 setting buttons it goes to those positions. Any suggestions? Paul
Paul, have you got it switched to auto on the steering column?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks for reminder but yes it is in auto on the column. I will atempt to program the key fob to the door control to see if that helps. Any other suggestions? Paul

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 8,085 Likes on 4,876 Posts

Everything you ever wanted to know about your memory system!!!!!

TSBs attached

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-35.pdf (75.0 KB, 622 views)
File Type: pdf
501-51.pdf (50.7 KB, 518 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Alvin Burns (05-22-2011), cooldood (05-10-2021)
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Bob, thanks for the info but the site wouldn't let me in, Not Authorised. Any way I feel foolish! Read on some ones blog that if the seat is already back beyond a certain point the easy in/easy out will not activate. guess what??? I was loosing sleep over a non problem with this my 6th XJ8. Paul