XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Secondary Tensioners - I was on borrowed time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Secondary Tensioners - I was on borrowed time!

I finally got around to replacing the Secondary Chain Tensioners this weekend, and with 107,000 miles I knew I was on borrowed time, but I did not realize how close I came to a major engine failure!
Both tensioners looked okay when I removed the cam covers, except the left hand tensioner was missing the plastic! Hopefully it ended up in the sump.
When I removed the both tensioners, the damage was on the face you could not see as the pictures below show.
If you are not 100% sure your car has the updated metal tensioners, get them checked as a priority. If you still have the plastic tensioners replace them immediately!
I was one of the lucky ones as there was no indication of imminent failure and it was only because this forum that I even knew of this potential failure.
Secondary Tensioners - I was on borrowed time!-slide1.jpg

Secondary Tensioners - I was on borrowed time!-slide2.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Good save Paul!...that was a close call.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Good save Paul!
Ok so I have basically the same car with exactly the same miles with that chain noise at cold starts. I am I worried now? Sh*t YES!
Thanks for the pictures,now I know what my tensioners will look like.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default It was a good save!

Hi Neil,
Yes get your tensioners replaced as soon as you can.
I did not have any noise at cold start and only replaced the tensioners based on this forum’s recommendation.
Although I had the tools to lock down the camshafts I could not get the 10mm internal hexagon bolt to loosen. So I used the “Zip Tie” method instead. This turned out to be quite an easy procedure.
I did rotate the engine counter clockwise until the camshaft flats lined up with the cylinder head cam cover mounting face as shown in the picture below. (This is not a picture from my engine), the tensioner on my engine was not holding the chain in tension as shown in this picture.
Secondary Tensioners - I was on borrowed time!-camshaft-flats-01.jpg
I did replace the sparkplugs as well as they were the originals.
I bought the tensioners and the shorter bolts on eBay along with the gasket set.
Let me know how your tensioner replacement goes.
All the best to you.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (07-03-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

had mine done two weeks ago no worries and peace of mind now though get them folks

Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runnerpaul
I finally got around to replacing the Secondary Chain Tensioners this weekend, and with 107,000 miles I knew I was on borrowed time, but I did not realize how close I came to a major engine failure!
Both tensioners looked okay when I removed the cam covers, except the left hand tensioner was missing the plastic! Hopefully it ended up in the sump.
When I removed the both tensioners, the damage was on the face you could not see as the pictures below show.
If you are not 100% sure your car has the updated metal tensioners, get them checked as a priority. If you still have the plastic tensioners replace them immediately!
I was one of the lucky ones as there was no indication of imminent failure and it was only because this forum that I even knew of this potential failure.
Attachment 46845

Attachment 46846
Hi When you replaced the rhs tensioner did the chain at the top seem loose. I have read that this could be that the tensioner is not primed with oil but I am not sure. The LH is very tight but the tensioner pushes upwards. Before I removed the 1st generation tensioner on the rhs it was tight. Any thoughts

Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by davant
Hi When you replaced the rhs tensioner did the chain at the top seem loose. I have read that this could be that the tensioner is not primed with oil but I am not sure. The LH is very tight but the tensioner pushes upwards. Before I removed the 1st generation tensioner on the rhs it was tight. Any thoughts
Just did mine this week, I was hearing a faint rattle at idle with the plastic... pushed me over the edge to do the repair. Old ones were not as bad as the ones in this thread but i think they were very tired.

Yes it was a little loose on mine during install... I was a little worried. but it's fine after oil gets to it.

It's a huge weight off your shoulders knowing the motor is good for awhile!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Yup. Did mine at 106k and had the same cracks. Weren't busted apart but feel alot safer they they're done and good to 200k miles lol

Old 07-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tensioners

Hi Thanks for your qucik reply as this is massively reassuring. I did push down on the rhs tensioner and it did take up the slack so when oil is pumpnig round this should be perfect. Hopefully put the cam covers on tonight and start her up but I have to say that the original 1997 tensioners (first generation) were absolutely perfect after 86k but the engine looked very clean so I think it has been looked after. One thing though I used the zip tie method to replace them but if had to do again (not on this car) I would make sure that the cams are rotated so that they are not in contact with the the valve cups (think that is correct term) as made it difficult to remove the cam and replace.