XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seeing fewer and fewer X308s on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014 | 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think I fit into the poser category!

"Poser" would be upper crust for me.

And I'm sure nobody would ever consider me connoisseur of anything. I'm fairly sure that some regard me as a "common sewer" , though.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-06-2014 | 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Here in Fort Worth, we've got a local Jaguar dealer. They probably sold quite a few and so I see random x308s and x300s probably two or three a week in my travels. I may see an x350 once or twice a month and an x351 every other month. I guess I'm somewhat a connoisseur. Restoring classic cars is my hobby but I bought a nice x308 for a daily driver. The x308 isn't officially a classic yet, but it sure has a classic look. I know it won't be practical as a daily driver forever though. Eventually parts to fix it will become scarce and it will need more and more of them. I wouldn't even drive an x308 now if I didn't have a much newer Honduh as a backup and foul weather vehicle.

Old 10-07-2014 | 11:08 PM

Drove mine to work today here in Michigan. There used to be tons of them around here back when Ford owned Jaguar, but they ar indeed getting rarer these days.

Old 10-12-2014 | 09:40 AM

I would agree that you don't see many of the X308. But you don't see many 1997-2003 S550, and 740i. They become expensive to maintain as they age. Also, someone's $75,000.00 Jag when new is worth less than $12,000.00 on the used market. The guy paying $12,000 for the Jag will think twice (not everyone) about putting $3,000.00 worth of repairs into an old car. The trick with these cars, is maintain them. If you do you are rewarded by driving not only a sexy car that nothing looks like it, it will be reliable. When I buy older cars, you just have to figure on spending about $1,200.00-$2,000.00 per year in maintenance. At $100.00-$200.00 per month, you get a Jaguar! I think that the market for Jaguars (97-2003) has stabilized. The ones that are left are maintained and there are fewer. Inching up in value, lets see in 20 yrs.

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014 | 07:16 AM

I live in Phuket, and haven't ever seen another XJ8 yet but am always on the look out...

Old 10-13-2014 | 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Garyres
I would agree that you don't see many of the X308. But you don't see many 1997-2003 S550, and 740i. They become expensive to maintain as they age. Also, someone's $75,000.00 Jag when new is worth less than $12,000.00 on the used market. The guy paying $12,000 for the Jag will think twice (not everyone) about putting $3,000.00 worth of repairs into an old car. The trick with these cars, is maintain them. If you do you are rewarded by driving not only a sexy car that nothing looks like it, it will be reliable. When I buy older cars, you just have to figure on spending about $1,200.00-$2,000.00 per year in maintenance. At $100.00-$200.00 per month, you get a Jaguar! I think that the market for Jaguars (97-2003) has stabilized. The ones that are left are maintained and there are fewer. Inching up in value, lets see in 20 yrs.
Agree fully. The offer I made to the seller on my car was predicated on, in the first year, having to invest 3-5K in maintenance/appearance items that were either pended or not completed properly.

So...for $2500 + a 10-year old Chevy van, I purchased my 2000 XJ8. Brought it to an indie Jag wrench.

Turns out it had a 2003 engine (by motor S/N) installed, with the later aluminium tensioners. Same with the tranny.

So, replaced a rear muffler, brake switch, all new coils, new Bosch iridium plugs, cleaned MAF, full 4-wheel alignment, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, oil/filter change, cleared codes.

I pick it up this afternoon after a couple weeks in the shop. Have a CD player and T605 to install, and a set of bespoke floor mats from Automat on Long Island to install. Then, next month, to the body shop to remove rear screen, fix a quarter-sized spot of rust on lower corner, and replace front of right rear wheel arch with fresh metal I cut out of a wreck close to me that was undamaged. Oh, and re-squirt all the rockers and such with Waxoyl.

They are a bit more labor- and parts-intensive than my '71 Lotus. But...nothing like them on the road, and I intend to drive her. It's only by keeping them off the road that they deteriorate. They NEED to be driven.

So, look for the BRG XJ8 on the Pennsy Turnpike between Malvern and Bensalem during commute hours. That'll be me.

Old 10-13-2014 | 11:53 AM

I see more X308s than any other model. I haven't seen another X350 since before I bought mine almost a month ago. I see at least a couple X308s a day.

Old 10-13-2014 | 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Agree fully. The offer I made to the seller on my car was predicated on, in the first year, having to invest 3-5K in maintenance/appearance items that were either pended or not completed properly.

So...for $2500 + a 10-year old Chevy van, I purchased my 2000 XJ8. Brought it to an indie Jag wrench.

Turns out it had a 2003 engine (by motor S/N) installed, with the later aluminium tensioners. Same with the tranny.

So, replaced a rear muffler, brake switch, all new coils, new Bosch iridium plugs, cleaned MAF, full 4-wheel alignment, brake fluid flush, coolant flush, oil/filter change, cleared codes.

I pick it up this afternoon after a couple weeks in the shop. Have a CD player and T605 to install, and a set of bespoke floor mats from Automat on Long Island to install. Then, next month, to the body shop to remove rear screen, fix a quarter-sized spot of rust on lower corner, and replace front of right rear wheel arch with fresh metal I cut out of a wreck close to me that was undamaged. Oh, and re-squirt all the rockers and such with Waxoyl.

They are a bit more labor- and parts-intensive than my '71 Lotus. But...nothing like them on the road, and I intend to drive her. It's only by keeping them off the road that they deteriorate. They NEED to be driven.

So, look for the BRG XJ8 on the Pennsy Turnpike between Malvern and Bensalem during commute hours. That'll be me.
I live by automat. I recently bought new mats from a company called Stock Interiors. Very inexpensive and unbelievable quality. Didn't buy for the Jag but for my Caddilac. They are better than the original. Front and rear for about $140.00. That includes the insignia, sewn into the carpet.

bdboyle (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014 | 12:36 PM

While we are talking about not seeing X308, I have my Vin number from my 1999 XJR: SAJPX1849XC857368

If this is anyones car, let me know. I have the original Valet key.

Old 10-13-2014 | 07:08 PM

I live by automat. I recently bought new mats from a company called Stock Interiors. Very inexpensive and unbelievable quality. Didn't buy for the Jag but for my Caddilac. They are better than the original. Front and rear for about $140.00. That includes the insignia, sewn into the carpet.
I use them for my Lotus restos, and they've done well by me. Ordered the mats from them today, with a leaper logo on the fronts.

Update: got my kitty back tonite, installed the cd player (it works!), got a check rear light message, so hied myself off to the parts store and replaced all the lamps in the rear, working or not. Yeah, I know,only replace the one that's burned out...but, if one was going, I'd be back in there again and again...so, do them all in one shot...

So, the total cost, with flushing the cooling and brake systems, new valve cover gaskets, front cover gasket, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, muffler, all 8 plugs, all 8 coils, lube emergency brake cables, rotate and balance tires, new brake light switch to clear a code came out around 2700 USD. About 1200 less than it would have been if I had needed to do the chains. Compressions are all within 5% of each other, and within 10 lbs of a brand new broken-in engine. Obviously, no blow-by, since the replacement engine is 3 model years newer than the chassis.

Joe sent back the tensioner upgrade kit; I have the later style tensioners and cam chains, which are more robust than the original single row. According to him, Jag has the engine as being an April 2003 manufacture.

All in all, I'm pleased, and looking forward to putting some miles under her tread.

Old 10-14-2014 | 02:04 AM

There are not a lot of Jaguars on the road period (In Northern California at least) compared to other Euro makes. As mentioned by an earlier poster, I NEVER see x350s at all, and when I do see a jag it's a x300 or x308.

Although parts are expensive from what I have gathered so far (I'm new to these cars), there were enough of the cars made that there are plenty of sub-$1500 junkers around. In theory, this means that obscure electronics or non-plastic engine parts can be recovered if rare parts become unconscionably expensive for some time into the future.

Has this been the experience with more veteran x308 owners?

Old 10-14-2014 | 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

It seems that Jaguar sedans became less popular after the x308, at least in the U.S. They made a total of 126,260 x308s and 92,038 x300s. Slightly less x350s at 83,566 but looking at US sales figures, they haven't touched the 10,552 sold for the last model year of the x308. It went down every year after with only 1,161 sold for 2009. The x351 is only selling about 5,000 a year in the US, half what it was selling when the x308 was current. The current luxury brand market is watered down. Every manufacturer has gotten into the game with even Hyundai and Kia offering opulent selections. I think the mistake they've made is to copy everyone else's styling. All modern sedans now have the same basic shape. Plus, people always ask me about the reliability of my x308. Its clear to me that Jaguar has never shaken that reputation. Why spend $90,000 on a premium brand when you can get all the same features in a car that looks remarkably similar for $60,000 made by a manufacturer known for offering 10 year warranties? I think back when the x308 was current, people knew about Jag's reputation but purchased anyway based on their passion for driving a totally unique vehicle.

Blakeney (10-15-2014)
Old 10-14-2014 | 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
It seems that Jaguar sedans became less popular after the x308, at least in the U.S. They made a total of 126,260 x308s and 92,038 x300s. Slightly less x350s at 83,566 but looking at US sales figures, they haven't touched the 10,552 sold for the last model year of the x308. It went down every year after with only 1,161 sold for 2009. The x351 is only selling about 5,000 a year in the US, half what it was selling when the x308 was current. The current luxury brand market is watered down. Every manufacturer has gotten into the game with even Hyundai and Kia offering opulent selections. I think the mistake they've made is to copy everyone else's styling. All modern sedans now have the same basic shape. Plus, people always ask me about the reliability of my x308. Its clear to me that Jaguar has never shaken that reputation. Why spend $90,000 on a premium brand when you can get all the same features in a car that looks remarkably similar for $60,000 made by a manufacturer known for offering 10 year warranties? I think back when the x308 was current, people knew about Jag's reputation but purchased anyway based on their passion for driving a totally unique vehicle.
I just had this conversation over the weekend. My opinion is that the X308 was one of the nicest sedans from Jag in modern days. But I remember very well, when I bought my first Jag which was an XJ-L. The trunk was smaller than the S550 and the 740i. And all of those rumors about reliability. Rear headroom! Those two cars were the only competition 15 yrs ago. Much different today. The new Sedan has one of the best interiors, but the exterior is boring. I have seen drawings of the next generation XJ, and if that car is made, then that will bring back Jag. The lines on our X308, are as sexy as a car gets. It looks like a Jag. The new ones are just "disposable electronics". They don't look like Jags. But I have faith in Ian Callium (designer at Jag). He's a car guy and will resurect Jag. To me a Jag needs to be an evolution of our models. Not revolution. There are a few cars made today that should always look like the previous models. Audi TT, Mini Copper, VW bug, and Porsche 911. The XJ should also be on that list. And yes, the Japanese and the Germans make better cars. We live in a time when Tesla is outselling 750, and S550's combined! A time when Hyundai is making a remarkably good looking car for under $70,000.00. Remember this, it took Caddy 30 years to be on anyones buy list again. Hopefully, for Jaguar, it will be less than 18 yrs! And Hopefully, it will look like a Jaguar again.

Old 10-14-2014 | 12:27 PM
|

Yes. The problem with the X308 with some is the smallish trunk. This is not an issue for me as I can get my golf clubs and gear in there. The problems with all of the more modern cars is that in order to get more trunk room, the trunk line is too high. That is the beauty of the X308, the low trunk line. I have never had passengers complain about the headroom. I think once the cars are maintained well and the problems that come up with any aging cars are addressed, the car is pretty reliable, not like the older Jags with Lucas electronics. Jaguar is still trying to overcome negative opinions about reliability for 30 years ago. Also one year, the X308s were among the best in initial quality by JD Power.

bdboyle (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rsgensburg
Yes. The problem with the X308 with some is the smallish trunk. This is not an issue for me as I can get my golf clubs and gear in there. The problems with all of the more modern cars is that in order to get more trunk room, the trunk line is too high. That is the beauty of the X308, the low trunk line. I have never had passengers complain about the headroom. I think once the cars are maintained well and the problems that come up with any aging cars are addressed, the car is pretty reliable, not like the older Jags with Lucas electronics. Jaguar is still trying to overcome negative opinions about reliability for 30 years ago. Also one year, the X308s were among the best in initial quality by JD Power.
ANY 14- or 15-year-old automobile (I don't care from which manufacturer) that has been driven will begin to cost money to get over the hump of time- or wear-limited parts deterioration and replacement cycle at the 75K-100K mile mark. Unless you strip down to the bare frame and start over with all new parts...these cars will have 'issues' that are unavoidable: cylinder/piston rings wear, trannies get sloppy, bushings deteriorate, shocks loose fluid/wear, rust sets in, headliners droop, leather cracks, carpets wear...it's a never ending cycle.

But, if you have the time and inclination, and follow the recommendations from the manufacturer...I'm thinking that the Ford-era cars are way ahead of what 'common knowledge' would opine about our Cats in terms of whether they 1) can be used as, if not a daily driver, then at least more than a sunny Sunday driver/garage queen, and 2) they can be relied upon to actually get you where you are going with minimal drama and inconvenience.

I'm thinking, a well-maintained and sound 308 is just as useable on a regular basis as any other high-performance luxury car on the road today. And it certainly looks better than most of the modern rides, which all look as if they were stamped from the same mold. Put a C-series next to a CC next to an Accord next to a Chevy. BORING.

I've owned Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Chevys, VWs, Pontiacs, Mercedes, Lotus, Honda, MGs, Triumphs, and now a Jag. Both new and 'previously loved'. They ALL have issues at one point or another (especially GM...their 3.x liter V6s are notorious for blown head and intake manifold gaskets, and their transaxles last only about 90K miles before stripping the O/D gearset. And let's not talk about the issues with the Caddy Northstar engine with main case seal leaks and head gasket problems...and the common statement that Lotus stands for 'Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious' says alot); knowing that going in, you plan, maintain, and, if you're lucky, can dump the ride before getting hit with a 5K engine replacement. Or not. They're all crap shoots.

So, 308s have cam chain issues (if not upgraded), thermostat sticking, occasional funky electrical issues (even post-Prince-of-Darkness), funky suspension bushings, or exploded A basket in the ZF. Yeah. We know that. But it doesn't (at least to those of us who understand that complex machinery will have issues to take care of...) stop enthusiasts (I'm counting myself in there now) from enjoying these cars. I know I am right now, even with the CEL coming on due to a worn gasket on the gas cap throwing a code this morning...

IMHO, when you're wafting down the interstate at 70...come upon a slowpoke in the center lane, flip on the left directional, glance at the rearview, slide over to the left lane, press on the loud pedal and glide past the obstruction without drama...that grin is worth it.

Just my $.02.

Old 10-15-2014 | 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rsgensburg
Yes. The problem with the X308 with some is the smallish trunk. This is not an issue for me as I can get my golf clubs and gear in there. The problems with all of the more modern cars is that in order to get more trunk room, the trunk line is too high. That is the beauty of the X308, the low trunk line.

Amen.

On most cars today the 'hind quarters'....trunk and rear end, and rear quarter panels....are really tall and bulked-up. So much so that in some cases the rear wheels look almost silly-small as there's such an expanse of sheet metal towering above them.

Add to this tall belt-lines and slab sides and slit-like windows. Then add the headlights and tail lights that are so over-styled they've taken on a cartoon-ish appearance.

Good grief.....there's no wonder that the X300/308 series is admired so much .

Cheers
DD

bdboyle (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014 | 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Amen.

On most cars today the 'hind quarters'....trunk and rear end, and rear quarter panels....are really tall and bulked-up. So much so that in some cases the rear wheels look almost silly-small as there's such an expanse of sheet metal towering above them.

Add to this tall belt-lines and slab sides and slit-like windows. Then add the headlights and tail lights that are so over-styled they've taken on a cartoon-ish appearance.

Good grief.....there's no wonder that the X300/308 series is admired so much .

Cheers
DD
Couldn't say it better. I've been into our thing for years. I follow certain trends to see what i will buy next. The difference between our 308's and most other cars as in value today is that most are not garage queens. For example, almost all Ford GT's have less than 3,000 miles and they are all garage queens. Hence, the value of $150,000.00 plus. Our cars were bought from day 1 and driven 10-15,000 miles a year. So there are some issues. So what. All cars with 80,000 miles plus do. My Bentley has 18,000 miles on it and is in the shop all the time. Probably more than any car I have ever owned. For the 308's, in 5-10 yrs, only the best will be around and you'll see people paying a premium for a soughted out one.

Old 02-22-2020 | 01:36 PM
Default A bit late

While we are talking about not seeing X308, I have my Vin number from my 1999 XJR: SAJPX1849XC857368

If this is anyones car, let me know. I have the original Valet key.
I found it on cars.com it was listed for 6k with around 116k miles

good to know it still exists

on the topic of disappearing x308s I see one every week to two weeks usually an xjr I think I have the only base model in my area most are in nice shape with the rough ones having paint damage but that’s in on the other hand x300s have vanished but strangely enough the xj40s have actually started showing up again which is vary strange I’ve seen probably one a month now compared to 3 or 4 for the x300

Old 02-22-2020 | 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Don't know what part of Texas you're in, but throughout 2019, I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of X300 or X308s I spotted at random on the road around Fort Worth. They are definitely getting scarce. I know where there's at least a couple in driveways that haven't moved in a few years and that seems to be a common fate. At this point they pretty much all need entirely new suspension and its cheaper to get another used car than to get your X308's suspension rebuilt. Right now it seems I see an X350 every couple of weeks though which is more than I was seeing a few years ago. They're still new enough to not need any repairs too terribly expensive and now cheap enough to have migrated into my neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2020 | 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen about 6 other X308s in my local area, and 3 or 4 X300/XJ40s.

I just made a 1,500 mile round trip to LA and during a week there only saw one X308, one S-Type, one XK8 and one Tata model, didn't see one X350/358.
(I did see a Lamborghini Aventador which looks very impressive..............maybe when I win the lottery!).

The X308s, and more so with the X300s, are definitely reaching that age where many succumb to old age, high mileage, lack of maintenance, etc.
I make under-hood toolkits for both the X308 and the X300 and have sold 37 of them over the last 6 months in a 70%-X308-to-30%-X300 ratio, probably an indication of the natural age-related reduction of the older model type.

Blatant plug:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Tool...kAAOSw5nJeQFAM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Tool...gAAOSw2WheMwA8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Tool...AAAOSwe5peE5ZA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Tool...MAAOSwZDxeOfLB

There are still some very low mileage X308/X300 examples to be found, (and are still very affordable) and there are some excellent examples of vehicles that have been brought back up to near-new condition by many owners, as per many on this forum. I think these models will become harder and harder to find in good condition from here on in and I'm sure these models will become classics in the future as they are the last of the true "Jaguar sedan/saloon styling".

There seems to be a very strong following in the UK, with several well-attended gatherings annually. unfortunately I don't find the same to be as true here in the US, but that may be due to the relatively few vehicles compared to the population and country size etc.

Quick Reply: Seeing fewer and fewer X308s on the road