XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Shift Cable Stuck/Frozen 2001 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shift Cable Stuck/Frozen 2001 XJR

Hello All,

I recently replaced the J-Gate and Linear Switch on my 2001 XJR. When the issue originally happened, the Shifter "snapped" and moved completely slack. Also, the transmission light came on as well as "Limp Mode". Engine light on also, I'll supply the codes when I can get a scanner put on it.

Upon opening the J-Gate, found the linear switch was broken. Since tehre was also the issue with liquid damage that had spilled inside the J-Gate, I replaced the J-Gate/Linear Switch as a complete assembly. That went well enough, but now I believe I've found the reason why the J-Gate "snapped/broke" in the first place. The Shifter Cable is completely FROZEN/STUCK. Can not move it AT ALL.

I've been told that due to the fact that they used the MB 722.6 transmission in these cars, they rarely go bad, so I'm HOPING that I'm not looking at replacing a tranny on here. Tomorrow I'd like to disconnect the cable from the transmission and see if I can move the cable at all that way. If it's still frozen/stuck, I guess I'll be replacing the Shift Cable. I'm HOPING that the cable remains stuck after disconnecting it as that ifers the issue is more cable-based as opposed to tranny.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for removing (and replacing if necessary) the Shifter Cable on an X308 XJR? Not sure if the process is same/different for XJ8 (natural aspirated) vs. XJR (supercharged). Any insight to this would be helpful. Also, does anyone have thoughts/ideas on what may be the issue based on the symptoms?

One more anomaly, the car no longer STARTS! After replacing the J-Gate, the car cranks and cranks, but doesn't turn over. Is there something with the computer that is causing this? Possibly even something related to the J-Gate/Shifter Cable or *hope not* transmission? Sorry for so many questions and the long post, but this is really the best resource I can think of for any assistance with these animals. Once again, thank you in advance!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Found and fixed issue. Previous owner (or someone in past) had a locknut on the tranny end of the cable. It was too far up and too tight. Once that was set correctly, the cable moved as it is supposed to. Issue solved.