XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Shifter or cable (?) Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019 | 06:44 PM
|
Angry Shifter or cable (?) Issue

This is my 3rd Jag and the second time I had this issue first on my 98 XJ8L now on my 2003 VDP. When my XJ8L did this the shift cable needed to be replaced the boot was torn, the sheathing deteriorated, it was very rusty causing it to stick especially in the cold weather. My 2003 the cable looks in perfect condition the outer sheathing looks great no cracks no wear etc. The boot looks very clean and flexible the connection fairly clean and seems to work OK. I have checked the whole thing and see no reason why it sticks and today I noticed it is very hard to get into park and will only start in neutral. These cables are getting harder and harder to get not sure if I want to go thru the hassle and cost of replacing it if there is nothing physically wrong with it. It's possible it has stretched sometimes I have to play with the shifter to get it not to roll in PARK this just happened today.. I did a search on the forum and came up with several problems listed and some suggestions on what it could be.Is there anyway to check to see if it stretched? I really don't want to buy a new or used one if it might be some other issue, I'm going to pop off the J shift console and check if something might be jamming it in the console I had that happen in a different car some change got caught up in there screwing it all up. I barely drive this car never use the manual shift mode it don't know how it could have stretched. I was under the car the other day while my mechanic was replacing the rear cross member, I did inspect the shift cable then it almost look new, the under carriage is pretty clean for a New England car but she only get about 2500 miles a year on her not much winter driving. I hate these little nickle and dime issues they always seem to be several different problems for the one item.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue!

Old 06-04-2019 | 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a pdf to review on Jag transmissions... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...des/201_SG.pdf ...pg 11 is the model application and I believe Pg 72 may be your issue...the rotary switch. Other than that, look at the J-gate for any broken assembly pieces and then I believe your last bastion is your suspected stretched cable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
Don B (06-06-2019), johnro6659 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019 | 06:51 PM
|

Thanks, That reminded me of my first job after auto mechanics school. I rebuilt transmissions for around 8 months. Kind of soured me on working on cars all together! LOL I took a look at the J Shifter console filthy in there cleaned it up and I found a gold and diamond tennis bracelet down there! SCORE! Going to take it to my jewler to see what it's worth. Any way back to my issue I found nothing wrong with the shifter itself all the workings seem to be in great shape. Shot a little WD 40 down the cable seemed to loosen it up quite a bit, now I am thinking I need to get under and really inspect the cable I probably missed something, going to check some of the stuff I saw in the PDF too. I need to have the drive shaft rubber coupling replaced so I take a look when they have it on the lift.

Old 06-05-2019 | 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Whoa....hey, hey, hey...I want a cut

Here's a thread you may want to review since you'll be under her... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-info-188400/

...just to check that center bearing and in Post #3 I list the part # for the jurid couplings I got that are used on Beemers, but cheaper than the Jag ones.

Another one to review regarding, not just the direction of the coupling, but the proper replacement of the bolts for balance... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pshaft-207717/

Last edited by Highhorse; 06-05-2019 at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019 | 09:52 PM

Hi John,

While you're underneath the next time, check that the screws that secure the cable bracket to the gearbox are present and tight.

Also, check to see if you have the adjustable style of cable, and if so, whether there may be some threads showing which might indicate there is some adjustment range remaining to shorten the cable.

P.S. Not to be a nag, but please add a line return from time to time in your posts, and consider breaking up long sentences. Old guys like me find it difficult to read large blocks of text, especially when they are full of run-on sentences.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-06-2019 at 09:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
Highhorse (06-07-2019), johnro6659 (06-17-2019), MountainMan (12-24-2020)
Old 06-17-2019 | 09:39 AM
|

Thanks guys, I haven't driven the car is several days and it's been wet and raining. Went to go out with it yesterday and it would not shift, barely moved at all and then I got a Transmission fault code limited performance on the dash!

Jacked it up crawled under the car and everything looked OK. Took the console apart again and could see the cable was free up top so I fought with it until I got it in drive got back under the car and low and behold the boot is split cant see it or feel it when the car is in park the tension on it keeps it pretty tight. So my issue was rust jamming it all up. Cleaned it off with a Dremel and wire wheel WD 40 and some grease works like NEW! Now I need to just find a boot that will fit and replace the old one so it doesn't rust up again. Really don't want to replace the whole cable for suck a stupid issue and don't want to get a used one because the boot will probably fail pretty quick.

The following 2 users liked this post by johnro6659:
Don B (06-17-2019), Highhorse (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019 | 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Actually if you find a descent used one, put a lot, but don't fill it with some grease (Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic) and zip the ends. That should keep the boot moist and prevent cracking along with keeping the cable lubed.

The following users liked this post:
johnro6659 (06-18-2019)