XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

shifter problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default shifter problems...

Shifter would not go into drive completely, so I would have to keep my hand there to keep it in place while driving around. Then I decided to move the shifter to tiptronic and manual shift, thats when all hell broke loose. nothing engaged no second, third or fourth car wan just stuck in neutral, so I when I put the shifter back into drive I had to force it there and then the shifter seemed like it was loose it would move freely up and down but never into park. So I can't get the key out and the shifter is very loose, just moves up and down like nothing is connected.... Any advice?
X308

Old 07-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

The shifter cable is connected at each end via a linakge on the gearbox and shifter, you need to check both.
The gearbox can be inspected by getting a look under the car, the selector end by removing the centre console. If you search this forum there's various posts on how to do this.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same problem recently. with the problem being at the selector end. Replacement selector mechanism fixed it. The problem has now returned so I am now thinking either the cable has stretched or the attachment at the gearbox is loose (hoping its nothing expensive).

The issue returned just at the weekend when the lever would not stay fully in the drive position and would not stay in drive unless held there. Hold it in drive and the car is fine, release and it slips into neutral and gives a gearbox fault warning. Restart the car and the warning goes.

Spent this afternoon trying to adjust the cable with no improvement (made it worse to be honest, car will not go into drive at all now).

If you get to the bottom of it please let me know as I don't know when I will be able to get under the car to have a look at the linkage there, let alone replace the cable if needed.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just had another thought on Roadracers problem. It is possible that the stud (on the gear lever has slipped out of the white plastic slider. If so you will not be moving the gear cable at all (this was the problem I originally had but the plastic slider had actually broken and would not retain the lever).

If this is the case the easiest way to fix it is to remove the centre console and the GEar selecter illumination module. Then move the lever down and across to 4.

The plastic slider needs to be moved down till it is level with the gear lever (may have to disconnect the gear cable for this) and the gear lever slid across until the stud engages in the slider.

At that point I suggest checking that the cable has not moved out of adjustment before putting it all back together (guess how I worked that out).

As for my own issues, I managed to get under the car and have a look today, cable and linkage look ok so no obvious fix for me. One thing I did notice though is that there gearbox sump is wet with fluid (not dripping, but definetly got a coating of fluid) so I am wondering if I am a bit low on Gearbox fluid and this is causing the issue. I will try and adjust the cable again this evening but if that doesn't work then I'll have to put it into a garage for a fluid and filter change (unable to do myself as I don't have a lift or a pit to work in, just a jack and axle stands).