XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Shipping the Thundercat to Buckhead Performance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shipping the Thundercat to Buckhead Performance!!!

Ok guys just thought i'd make a little thread so we can follow the progress of my 2003 XJR while it is being modded and tuned. There will be some vids on here and at their website below. Here's the tentative list of mods.

-Intercooler
-Heat Exchanger
-Valves
-Injectors
-Re-tune
-Ported Heads
-Cams?
-modified Borla exhaust (resonator delete install x pipe)
-Headers
-200 CEL cats
-Pistons?

Can't wait!!! These guys are the real deal BTW if you havent' checked them out they have some pretty awesome vids and pics on their site. I'll keep you posted. Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Husker4 (05-03-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

What is buckhead expecting that you can have in rwhp with the above mods?

Also what is your own target you would like to achieve, for what budget?

-Intercooler
So far I have left this, as they seem to be large enough and the pressure drop isn't that big. There are other areas that will yield more, unless you have an unlimited budged of course.
-Heat Exchanger
Let it be sized by someone that understands airflow I would say, as that is what can take the heat away from a radiator. Then also think about the units behind the intercooler radiator, they need air flow to. You have a tremendous heat generator on your engine, which you can discover yourself if you measure the intercooler temps.
Build in a 2 gallon tank as buffer, this allows you to run a bit longer under full load, and also a faster flowing pump.
-Valves
If you are going to change them, then best to pick a stronger exhaust valve (i.e. inconel or so). You can make them larger, but I am not sure what the max is, and what it will deliver in power.
-Injectors
Not sure about that, but if you run into duty cycle issue, than you have to, or what is the reason you want to change them?
-Re-tune
My take is not to do it (yet), but if you do, make sure it is the last thing you do, unless you don’t mind doing it many times (will be costly, especially when you want to do it right).
-Ported Heads
Haven’t done mine, it is just too expensive imho for possible gains, and I have never seen any dyno results, although many have doen this mod.
-Cams?
Re-grinds can be done relatively cheap, but you need to find someone that understands cams and the Jaguar setup. Count Iblis has already gave some remarks here. I may install my re-grinded ones in a couple of weeks/months, and I hope to gain about 20 rwhp on my setup. This is a small gain (again on my setup), so am not sure if I can truly measure any differences due to the dyno error margins to take into account.
-modified Borla exhaust (resonator delete install x pipe)
No idea, I actual still use my stock exhaust
-Headers
Might be good to see if more are interested, and then see if you can work something out with count iblis to make a good design. Contrary to the XJR, the XKR has less space, so less room to make a optimal unit, otherwise I might have joined.
-200 CEL cats
Seem to help, 10 to 15 rwhp is possible, I use them also.
-Pistons?
I think you should try to do everything possible to avoid detonations as good as possible with every move you make, but I can’t tell you what the stock 4.0 pistons can take in general. If you have all the dough, then go for a engine enlargement I would say, but even then you still be left with 2 important issues that robs power, 1 is the Eaton and 2 the intake.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me know when you get it down here. I'll have to check it out!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks guys. It will be down there for about 8 weeks. They are VERY familiar with Jags and they want to take this one to the next level. It's going to be alot of R&D work. I am shooting to break the 12 sec mark and put down 420hp at the rear wheels. We'll see what happens. and I'll certainly keep everyone posted with Vids and Dyno #'s as the project progresses. Thanks for the info Avos!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I should keep my mouth shut, but why haven't you contacted Avos about his kits? You could bolt it straight on and smash the output Bucketheads would gain, for probably less money.....I'll get my coat.....

Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Which kit would that be? The Twin Screw? I'll hold my tounge until we are finished with it. Just you wait sir... Just you wait..

Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 PM

All mods are not bolt on... If they were we wouldn't have forums like this.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Not to discourage you, but my very first proof of concept (1.7L TS), made already 380 rwhp with no other mods (so stock ecu, exhaust etc). My second test setup with a 2.1L version and heavily modified intake elbow, made 430 rwhp (again no other mods, 455 rwhp even in special test setup).
The kit I made is 2 major evolutions further, or in other words, if you want to challenge it, you will have to do MUCH better than just 420 rwhp, Good luck, and hope you achieve what you want.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Well us at Buckethead Imports will take that challanged North of 420, no luck needed we have the skills to do it.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think it is hard to increase power; the skill is what you can achieve for a certain budget whilst retaining the qualities of the car, and the latter isn’t a small list

Let’s see what you can make, is there any date set? Always love a challenge

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

They certainly sorted mine out to the last detail, and it certainly would have run more than double the price at the dealer.

Its nice to have a car with the Buckhead imports pedigree. We should start a club.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:39 PM

I'm in Tyler. Looking at a Whipple twin screw and a TON of other stuff. These guys are the real deal.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Copycats

There is still a lot you need to do, so the devil will be in the "TON of other stuff", but a twin-screw (or turbo) is a good basis to start obviously contrary to what you have made believe me (for which there was no need), as you just can't get close with the eaton.

Obviously it is then easy to get north of the 420rwhp, and there is "TON of information" on this forum to help you get well above that I would say.

Nevertheless, as long as you are not enlarging the engine (and don't use tricks like alky/NOS/Racefuel) the challenge would still be on my behalf, any dates yet?

Last edited by avos; 05-05-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Smily didn't show up
Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks Avos. Looking forward to it as soon as you post up some numbers

Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thundercat
Thanks Avos. Looking forward to it as soon as you post up some numbers
I'm pretty sure he already has......I thought this was an Eaton v TS comp.....not a full blown workshop v one guy with a lot of engineering skill, hardly fair, but riveting nonetheless, bring the figures Andre', and why not quote Norm's while your at it.

I'd be careful having your car used as a ginnypig thundercat, I guess Buckethead have insurance. If they blow it up, get a 4.2, Avos has persuaded me to go this route with his kit, if and when I get round to it, I'll be throwing a glove your way too. All good fun these pi$$ing contests, but the thing is, we Euro's do our own work, do we get extra points?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Sean, I will certainly show some numbers soon, think it would be best if we show them around the same time or? The “soon” depends on when Buckhead will be ready with Thundercats car.

@Thundercat/B.I.P
So when is it going to be?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Car will arrive at the shop on saturday. From there its on. and yes they are a VEry respectable shop and we have an agreement about things like blowing it up. I LOVE THIS STUFF BOYS!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

You mentioned earlier buckhead needed 8 weeks, so can you confirm now the 1st of July as the date?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avos

i don't understand why your waiting for buckhead to post their number if yours is so good you should have it already posted

Why don't you put your "proven" numbers up now?? If the kit makes the power you say,i would love to buy one i just need to see hard evidence that it does.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Agreed. We are working on a Whipple twin screw for the Jag and we will post #'s as soon as it gets in there. I have a baseline right now of 370 at the wheels.

Quick Reply: Shipping the Thundercat to Buckhead Performance!!!