XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Should I attempt coolant flush green to orange on 2000 XJ8 with 200k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I attempt coolant flush green to orange on 2000 XJ8 with 200k miles?

I bought a 2000 JX8L in November 2022 with 191k miles on it. I've made some small repairs myself and fixed things like bulbs, the cupholders, and I recently learned to change the oil.
And it has green coolant... not sure how long it's been in there and I've read enough after a low coolant alarm that I know it should be orange. The coolant levels were fine, I think it was the sensor.
The assistant manager at the shop where I change my oil recommended that I do not attempt the coolant flush myself because of the high mileage and the potential for leaks afterwards or other issues. He recommended I take it in to the local shop that services jaguars (Autobahn Auto in Hampton VA) so if something goes wrong they're on the hook. Autobahn quoted me $215 for the flush.
I planned to follow this thread's coolant flush steps, and I'm worried if I take it somewhere all the green coolant might not be fully flushed out before they refill with the orange.
So, with my novice repair abilities and plenty of time, should I try to flush it at home? Or do you think I should take it in and hope for the best?

Old 07-31-2023, 09:56 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Mine had green antifreeze when I got it. With various repairs over the years that have necessitated draining and refilling the antifreeze now and then, I have always just replaced it with green, and have never done a complete flush. If I were you, I would probably drain it at the radiator, refill with distilled water, run it for a while, drain it again, repeat a couple of times. Then I’d refill it with green. That way it doesn’t matter if you get every last drop of green out.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:17 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Do you have a UV light? It may be orange coolant with green leak detector fluorescent dye in it. Mine has orange coolant in it but the dye makes it completely green.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Give Rob a call at Abacus Racing in Va Bch -- probably cheaper and best for Jaguar service; alternatively, the AAA garage on VA Bch Blvd near the JANAF shopping center is excellent and cheaper; for most maintenance, it is just another car. Changing the coolant is easy, just messy.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:44 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sal.henry
I bought a 2000 JX8L in November 2022 with 191k miles on it. I've made some small repairs myself and fixed things like bulbs, the cupholders, and I recently learned to change the oil.
And it has green coolant... not sure how long it's been in there and I've read enough after a low coolant alarm that I know it should be orange. The coolant levels were fine, I think it was the sensor.
The assistant manager at the shop where I change my oil recommended that I do not attempt the coolant flush myself because of the high mileage and the potential for leaks afterwards or other issues. He recommended I take it in to the local shop that services jaguars (Autobahn Auto in Hampton VA) so if something goes wrong they're on the hook. Autobahn quoted me $215 for the flush.
I planned to follow this thread's coolant flush steps, and I'm worried if I take it somewhere all the green coolant might not be fully flushed out before they refill with the orange.
So, with my novice repair abilities and plenty of time, should I try to flush it at home? Or do you think I should take it in and hope for the best?
I'm not sure any shop would take on this project with the understanding that they would be responsible for any leaks that occur afterwords. 23 year old car with 191k miles and all.

that said, I run green coolant as thats what was in my car. As long as you change it every 2 years, its no big deal.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

On my 2006 STR I went the opposite direction and changed it from the orange antifreeze to the tried and true Green Prestone. I don’t need long life antifreeze and plus I’ve had bad luck with that orange dexcool stuff in the past. The green seems to work just fine I just don’t expect to go 100,000 miles on it. All I did to change was just did several distilled water flushes over a period of weeks make sure I got every last bit out and I’ve got no problems

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (08-01-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

all makes all models coolant is basically the same as ford orange and gm dexcool. if it’s lime green it’s probably prestone which is actually the new ford coolant to replace their old orange.

nobody uses “original green” in a shop unless it’s for some really old pos

Old 08-02-2023, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 620 Posts

I would not rely only on the coolant colour to determine what type (formulation) it is. The standard glycol based coolants can be blue, green, lime green, red and even orange colour. The Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants seem to come only as orange but I am not sure. What is important is to verify whether the coolant is Glycol based or Organic Acid based. The two CANNOT be mixed and, if one is switching between the two, a thorough flush must be done.

nilanium (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

After a lot of research on the called out coolant specs and compatibility when I was doing a flush and timing chain job on my xjr when I got it, I ended up settling on prestone universal coolant, it had a callout for one of the standards required by jaguar. Also you can buy it anywhere...

6 years and 55k miles later and I haven't seen any issues caused by it.

Would probably avoid the OAT coolant unless specifically required. I know the jag coolant specs changed a few times over the years, I think aj27 engines call out a different standard but the Prestone may still meet that

Jhartz (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 818 Posts

Since everybody listed almost every different coolant known to man in here, I’m going to highly suggest Evans waterless coolant.