XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Should I blow $2k to blindly rebuild tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Should I blow $2k to blindly rebuild tranny?

I'm at a dilemma, my tranny slips occasionally but in the meantime it's getting me from A to B without issue. I've got no codes or leaks or obvious cause. Mechanic says the only option to repair is to open the case and the labor of that already warrants going all the way and just rebuilding the transmission (quoted to expect in the vicinity of $1800 USD)

What should I do?

My jag is a VDP with beautiful custom suede roofliner but it's also a high mileage NYC-car (lots of aesthetic imperfections everywhere). There's nothing else mechanically wrong with the car and all of the suspension and related wear items have been recently replaced (total cost of about $900.)

Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

If I can get a tranny overhaul here in Germany by a pro for less than €500, why can't you?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,392 Likes on 1,887 Posts

You did not tell us any car details so I am guessing here?

Are you sure the level is correct?
For that amount of money I would try a fluid and filter change first.
When was the transmission fluid last changed?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
You did not tell us any car details so I am guessing here?

Are you sure the level is correct?
For that amount of money I would try a fluid and filter change first.
When was the transmission fluid last changed?
Original fluid, never checked or opened, the mechanic said if I change it and there are failing parts it could exacerbate the problem, leaving it alone until rebuild was his recommendation (be it good advice or not.)

Symptoms imply the torque converter is slipping.

500 euro is the going rate for a rebuild? That info is greatly appreciated

Last edited by vdpnyc; 06-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

That is what I paid... All geniune parts. Removal amd refit by myself but it doesn't take more than 2'3 hours to remove and about 2h to refit and about another 30 mins to refill.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
That is what I paid... All geniune parts. Removal amd refit by myself but it doesn't take more than 2'3 hours to remove and about 2h to refit and about another 30 mins to refill.
Ohhh, so that's 500 euro plus 6 hours labor, that's a big difference in $. (I can't do the labor myself)

Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Just have to say, if I could find a place to do a complete suspension/bushing/mounts rebuild for under 1k, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Heckuva deal in my book (unless there were bits that weren't needed)

Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

Never blindly repair anything. If a diagnosis cannot be made from direct inspection or documented testing procedures, then a process of elimination is in order from cheapest first to most expensive last. Perhaps its just a fluid problem or maybe its a problem with the valve body, which can be replaced/rebuilt without removing the transmission. Take it to another shop, finding one that deals in european cars or Jaguars specifically, and get a second opinion before you spend any more money.

Transmission shops are notorious for just wanting to rebuild the whole thing. If they just repair it then its still a high mileage transmission and something else could break inside it the day after you get it back. If they rebuild it completely, not only have they charged you a lot more money, there's a lot less chance that you're going to bring it back with a complaint inside a month. Its in their best interest to talk you into a full rebuild. However, its probably in your best interest to play the odds, especially if its an old car that isn't worth much more than the cost of a rebuild anyway. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
k-man (06-07-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
Never blindly repair anything. If a diagnosis cannot be made from direct inspection or documented testing procedures, then a process of elimination is in order from cheapest first to most expensive last. Perhaps its just a fluid problem or maybe its a problem with the valve body, which can be replaced/rebuilt without removing the transmission. Take it to another shop, finding one that deals in european cars or Jaguars specifically, and get a second opinion before you spend any more money.

Transmission shops are notorious for just wanting to rebuild the whole thing. If they just repair it then its still a high mileage transmission and something else could break inside it the day after you get it back. If they rebuild it completely, not only have they charged you a lot more money, there's a lot less chance that you're going to bring it back with a complaint inside a month. Its in their best interest to talk you into a full rebuild. However, its probably in your best interest to play the odds, especially if its an old car that isn't worth much more than the cost of a rebuild anyway. Good luck.
Good advice, but I'm out of ideas as to what to try next. I've just had another place assess it and they said it's likely the A-drum (I think he Googled it) and not the torque converter since that would cause a total stoppage of car-movement.

Tomorrow he's gonna check the fluid and I'll have him stick some Lucas Transmission Stop Slip snake oil in there and pray for a miracle.

CharlezO, $900 includes parts & labor for motor mounts and all 4 shocks + lots of other parts. come to NYC and I'll refer you...

Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

If you love the car and see yourself continuing to enjoy it, then I'd say have it rebuilt by somebody who knows these transmissions well.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The problem you have is you are still driving the car around, in heavy city traffic too. Your car clearly has a transmission problem, and with all the documented issues regarding the transmissions on these cars I'm surprised you're still driving it around. Every mile you drive it in it's current condition will be making whatever problem you have worse. You've told us that it's a high mileage box with the original fluid in, which will not have helped anything. One good thing is you haven't had the "Gearbox Fault" message on the dash yet, so you could be in luck.

You should at the very least change the fluid and filter.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The problem you have is you are still driving the car around, in heavy city traffic too. Your car clearly has a transmission problem, and with all the documented issues regarding the transmissions on these cars I'm surprised you're still driving it around. Every mile you drive it in it's current condition will be making whatever problem you have worse. You've told us that it's a high mileage box with the original fluid in, which will not have helped anything. One good thing is you haven't had the "Gearbox Fault" message on the dash yet, so you could be in luck.

You should at the very least change the fluid and filter.
Once they need to be rebuilt, what's the difference already?

Fyi, I've got just one car, so it's gonna be driven so long as it keeps driving...

Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I see Jags transmissions on ebay going from $600.00+s/h to $1200.00+s/h from low mileage cars to ???mileage, it is all luck of the draw, I had my XJR transmission rebuilt for $2595.00 by aamco a yr ago and it works great (w/high mileage 147000k I didn't want to have any surprises) I weighted the option of pymnts for new car vs repairing my XJR. My car won out and no 4-5 yr car pymnts......just my two cents.....

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,392 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Just be aware your symptoms could very easily be caused by a low fluid level.

Change the fluid now and DO NOT add anything to it. Since you don't have any transmission error codes you might be OK but I would still change the fluid.

Yes you are making worse with every mile you drive. The 6 speed ZF is a good transmission but not a great one and will take a good bit of abuse. So don't delay in checking/changing the fluid.

I think you got your money's worth if it's still on original fluid at those miles!!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think you got your money's worth if it's still on original fluid at those miles!!
I'm a purist, my Jag has all the original fluids, even the oil!

Seriously though, having the level checked later this afternoon, going to add the Lucas Snake Oil regardless because I already have it and am hoping for a miracle. The Lucas Transmission Stop Slip can't hurt, right?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
I'm a purist, my Jag has all the original fluids, even the oil!

Seriously though, having the level checked later this afternoon, going to add the Lucas Snake Oil regardless because I already have it and am hoping for a miracle. The Lucas Transmission Stop Slip can't hurt, right?
doesn't it say like drive 200 miles to see the results or something? I think it will hurt the gearbox more. But if it works then you saved yourself big $$$. Good Luck though I hope it works.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Once they need to be rebuilt, what's the difference already?

Fyi, I've got just one car, so it's gonna be driven so long as it keeps driving...
I don't know mate, but with 9 years experience owning, dealing with and working on these cars I can tell you the ZF boxes won't take kindly to abuse very long.
However, if you want to ignore the advice from myself and others regarding changing your probably low fluid and contaminate the already very old fluid with a "magic product" then that's entirely up to you.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Ugh, they opened the filler and the fluid squirted a bit out (was totally full) and was a relatively clean green color. So nothing wrong means the cause is still a mystery.

Mechanic also warned against the snake oil, so haven't added that in... He also mentioned that it can't be added via the hole, only by removing the pan, due to how extremely thick it is.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

have you put a lot of new parts to this car? do you love this car? if so then do the repair.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd buy another trans and swap it out. Not sure where in NYC, but a swap isn't that bad with some fairly basic tools if you have some room. Could do whole thing for less than $1k and have an extra to rebuild or core it out.