XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sideview mirror adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Sideview mirror adjustment

Took bessie out from her winter storage last week, and apart from the drivers side headrest not adjusting, I came across a new issue... weird sideview mirror adjustment.

If I try to adjust the drivers side mirror, left-right works correctly, but if I try to angle up, the passenger side mirror goes down, and the drivers side doesn't move. Anyone come across this before?

Old 04-08-2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by edreddy
Took bessie out from her winter storage last week, and apart from the drivers side headrest not adjusting, I came across a new issue... weird sideview mirror adjustment.

If I try to adjust the drivers side mirror, left-right works correctly, but if I try to angle up, the passenger side mirror goes down, and the drivers side doesn't move. Anyone come across this before?
just an update on this issue, now most of the side window controls don’t work properly. Right side will go down and then up with much persuasion, I can control the right rare window, but the driver side and the passenger left do not work. But the controls for the individual windows work just fine. Has anyone come across this before?

Old 04-12-2022, 10:52 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Two things come to mind: 1) be sure that you have a fully charged battery, and 2) do a reset. It’s always good advice to start with these two simple and common issues, and then go from there. My guess is your battery is weak, but sometimes these cars just need a good reset.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by aquifer
Two things come to mind: 1) be sure that you have a fully charged battery, and 2) do a reset. It’s always good advice to start with these two simple and common issues, and then go from there. My guess is your battery is weak, but sometimes these cars just need a good reset.
Thanks for the tips @aquifer - When you say a good reset, what do you mean?

Old 04-13-2022, 07:20 AM

Remove the negative cable from the battery, hold it against the positive cable for 10 seconds, then reconnect it. But you need to make sure that you have a strong battery or it won’t help. Test the battery first, then do the reset.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:52 PM

Ok - did that. Checked the battery and its good.

What functions works on the drivers door panel:
- Front passenger window will go down but not up
- Driver and passenger side mirror adjustments
- Last memory position for seats

What doesn't:
- Rear passenger window adjustments
- Drivers window
- Side passenger window up
- Seat memory function

Must be the controller board for the panel?

Last edited by edreddy; 04-13-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:26 PM

Just found a posting in this forum -> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrol-218970/

Exact same issue I'm having. Must be the switch panel. I'll have to pop off the door panel and take a look at the circuit board. Switch panels are hard to come by and are $100+USD used.

Last edited by edreddy; 04-13-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:10 PM

You can give Jaguar Heaven in California a call to price a salvaged switch pack. They’re a Jaguar specific salvage yard, and I’ve purchased a number of things from them over the years. Having a part number is best. There is probably a number on your switch pack, or else you can find it on the Jaguar Classic Parts website.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by aquifer
You can give Jaguar Heaven in California a call to price a salvaged switch pack. They’re a Jaguar specific salvage yard, and I’ve purchased a number of things from them over the years. Having a part number is best. There is probably a number on your switch pack, or else you can find it on the Jaguar Classic Parts website.
Thanks Aquifer for the tip - appreciate that. They want $200 + shipping USD for a working one. Going to keep them in my back pocket for other parts.

Off to eBay I go