XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Silly Thought, Comments Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

@ Sandy, if you buy an XJR, you'll never look at 'Kitty' in the same way again.

(I know which will become the weekend car)

Be ready for the kickdown lady

Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratulations on your new project. I'm sure you'll turn even more heads in an XJR, Oh and I look forward to welcoming you to the SC club

The following users liked this post:
sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy85
thats quite possible but unlikely. I fell in love with all weak points and power, while nice, is no way important for me. I am also pretty sure that once i will get XJR with purpose it being daily car, i will compromise other things for reliability. For example when i was hunting for my cat, i HAD to have bright leather interior with brown wood detailing. Most XJRs are black inside. I will never like it. I would also never buy or like car with gray leather interior (that is why i have to rule out most daimlers). I might for my daily driver but not for my love car. So i am sure i will go for lowest price/miles at reasonable condition and history in the second car, while priority on my first cat was just that it is PRETTY . When i bought her, i was barely able to drive those 100km back home. I had to make a stop in service station to fix my wheels too. And i had to have her :-).
My XJR has cream leather interior & is very light & welcoming inside-also, the seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat on in any car.

You give all these reasons why power is not important & reliability is important...

Trust me on this, Sandy, once you've piloted an XJR on the roads then you'll learn how to fall in love all over again-the XJR is truly all the car you'll ever need

I had a 300km drive home when I bought my XJR in 2008, and it was the most fun-packed drive I've had for a long time. I haven't found any other car (including my Bentley) which can do all the things the XJR can.

I've had her 4 years now & I'll never sell her-one drive is all it will take for you to understand what we are all talking about with the XJR

The wheels on mine were fine & she's never stranded me anywhere on the road with breakdowns either...

Everyone that's been in it loves it-as you will too some day haha

That's called "Keeping the British End Up", as 007 once said

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM

You'll pay for the individuality of an XKR as they're more expensive to buy than the equivalent XJR's. They also had issues with rust on the front subframes due to poor factory undersealing-especially in countries where there is rain & salt on the roads, like most of Northern Europe

Yes, love hurts-and empties your wallet too

Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, you shouldn't be afraid of Alfas, they're awesome.

But I think your plan is much better. If I could choose again I would have gone for a second XJ(R) instead of the Alfa.

I actually called the dealer that sells that blue one you linked to (-98 with 46000 km), in other words it was for sale when I bought mine one year and two months ago. I asked about the condition and to be honest it didn't sound as nice as the price and kilometers suggest. But I bet you could negotiate that price.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For driving so much i would take a VW Phaton 3.0 TDI cheap, perfect seats ( look fot the "Bentley" seats ) few problems
Or a BMW E65 730d or MB W220 S320 CDI ( look for rust ) BMW E60 530d
Like you said you want no Diesel take a 730i, S500 or a 530i

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM

i will see, in this case my valet will decide, not my heart :-). Next week i will have time to visit at least one car and if until then comes the first payment i might have it at home by the end of the week :-)
XJR-it's your destiny Sandy & you know 'Uncle Red' is right about this

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on getting the job, excited to see what crazy car you end up with.

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

thank you guys, i am curious as well...
wow small world Christian. Yep, they always look better in the ad. Especially daimlers are hard to buy over net. If i would ever shop for daimler i would go directly to dealer. Everything else is beater tricked up for sale.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I had two black XJR's at the same time. One in mint shape and the other as a winter beater.

Got a ticket for window tint on the nice one. Took the other one in without tint and they signed off as tint removed and dismissed the ticket. Ha ha, kiss my ***, parasites

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

sandy first off congratulations on your good fortune and wish you luck, apart from the xjr suggestions[got one myself and everybody that said to get one is bang on right] not one person has asked what you need the new car for. do you need off road capabilities? how much load space is needed? how much weight will you be carrying? and how many people will you need to transport? will you need to tow anything? lots of questions i know, but was taken aback by the amount of replies that suggested non jaguars! come on lads it is the jag forum!

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
sandy first off congratulations on your good fortune and wish you luck, apart from the xjr suggestions[got one myself and everybody that said to get one is bang on right] not one person has asked what you need the new car for. do you need off road capabilities? how much load space is needed? how much weight will you be carrying? and how many people will you need to transport? will you need to tow anything? lots of questions i know, but was taken aback by the amount of replies that suggested non jaguars! come on lads it is the jag forum!
thank you! yea, it surprised me too!
The priorities/requirements for second car are in this order:

1) driving comfort to not flatten my butt
2) lighted mirror on driving seat's sun shade even if engine is off
3) bossy look when stepping out in miniskirt and high heels
4) jawdropping silhouette when somebody looks at me through camera before allowing me to enter big company's parking lot
5) cause "wow she must be good, we have to book her" effect when i stand next to it waiting for CEO/PRM to come
6) wrooooooms in tunnels
7) awesome audio
8) trunk able to take photo bag 60x80x40cm, no towing,
9) should be able to go "offroad" about as much as XJ8 can. I have to drive and park on unpaved roads / grass but nothing offroady. I had lowered A4 and while it was always bottom down, i never damaged it. Kitty made it fine everywhere. LSD or ESC and it is good. Think of it like wet grass parking places and sides of the road.

p.s. it is not a fortune, it is just that i am dumb to spend big part of my yearly's sallary paid in advance on new car because i believe my cat is not up to the task :-)

Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

XJR. Do it.

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

thank you! yea, it surprised me too!
The priorities/requirements for second car are in this order:

1) driving comfort to not flatten my butt
2) lighted mirror on driving seat's sun shade even if engine is off
3) bossy look when stepping out in miniskirt and high heels
4) jawdropping silhouette when somebody looks at me through camera before allowing me to enter big company's parking lot
5) cause "wow she must be good, we have to book her" effect when i stand next to it waiting for CEO/PRM to come
6) wrooooooms in tunnels
7) awesome audio
8) trunk able to take photo bag 60x80x40cm, no towing,
9) should be able to go "offroad" about as much as XJ8 can. I have to drive and park on unpaved roads / grass but nothing offroady. I had lowered A4 and while it was always bottom down, i never damaged it. Kitty made it fine everywhere. LSD or ESC and it is good. Think of it like wet grass parking places and sides of the road.

p.s. it is not a fortune, it is just that i am dumb to spend big part of my yearly's sallary paid in advance on new car because i believe my cat is not up to the task :-)
you just answered your own question, to tick all the boxes only one car [may be others but its the jag forum] fits the bill. XJRV8 x308 obviously.and it will comply with number one on your list perfectly, all the car you will ever need, and if you need a bit more there is always avos etc... to point you in the bhp direction.

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

XJR or XKR? I mean i will be eating my wallpapers for the rest of the year anyway so any reason to pick XJR over XKR (i would never pick coupe as only car, but as a driving car, why not?)
no real reason to pick one over the other. just style and space the main difference and of course price, but XKR not that much more expensive than XJR. i supose it all comes down to when you have the old photo album out with your grandkids on your knee, you can say with pride pointing to the photo of the pretty mini skirted young blonde perched on the wing/draped over the bonnet[insert whatever pose, but remember it involves grandchildren, hehe] your old gran had a pretty cool car! back to today... get yourself a supercharged jag before brussells makes them illegal

sandy85 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

makes sense. so xkr. i have 2 months to pick and get a car. starting a search later today :-)
way to go girl. youre only young once enjoy it while you can!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

first is this one, keep fingers crossed

Gebrauchtwagen: Jaguar, XKR, Coupe ~ schwarz/beige ~ TOP!, Benzin,

99 so have 6speed right? he writes everything 99 have as problematic is fixed.

this one is second

Gebrauchtwagen: Jaguar, XKR, Coupe*KLIMA*LEDER*NAVI*XENON*SHZ*PDC*1.HD*, Benzin,
both pretty cars, but and a big but here, the ads unsurprisingly are written in german a language i have no understanding of. though somewhat surprisingly the german for beige seems to be beige? if not please correct me as i hope its not anything offensive! the silver xkr seems to be a 4.2 so should be the better long time buy as most known faults i think were more or less delt with by then. there would not be any gateman in the world deny you access to anywhere if you turned up in either of those cars! happy hunting.

sandy85 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Silver XKR. Do it.

sandy85 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger77
Aholbro1, the XJR's do not have VVT, so the weak link of tensioners is so much easier to repair.
Thanks Roger, now it makes more sense.

Originally Posted by Red October
XJR doesn't have the VVT system, so no problems there. It also has the aluminium thermostat housing, so no cracking plastic to worry about.

Now for the big one...

The XJR was fitted with the Mercedes gearbox, which is a strong unit & doesn't have the 'A' clutch drum flaw of the ZF gearbox in the XJ8's.

Because of all the above, the XJR is actually a more reliable car then the XJ8...
Thanks Red. Beginning to understand it now. I wasn't aware the SC didn't have variable valve timing. I Know the day will eventually come when my X300 will be fit for a charitable gift (but I trust that is still 5-10 yrs on!) and I doubt I will be able to find a suitable replacement remaining in the X300 ranks - so I'm keeping an eye on the X308's /X350's as its replacement. No offense intended, but I don't care for the dash layout in either vs. the X300. Aesthetically, it goes without saying (but where angels fear to tread and all that, so here I go) that the 308 has it all over the 350 in the looks dept. and I'm certainly no fan of the air susp but that can be replaced. I reckon the advantage the 350 has is it's a bigger car with possibly a bigger boot which is a plus from my side - the honest self-assessment I advised Sandy to perform when directed on myself revealed I like the chief characteristics of "Old man's cars" - large, smooth riding, etc. Plus, there are likely to be more low-mileage cream-puff x350's on the market 5-10 yrs from now than X308's...if I can get past the body styling...I presume my dream car - Super V8 shares all the "goodness" you mentioned for the XJR vs. the XJ8?

p.s.
just got email from the company that they picked me yay! I will start looking for 2003+ XJR or XKR under 15k€ with under 180000km. And lot of new clothes and shoes!
And get some nice wheels for Kitty and maybe the gold color as she deserves and wants
Congrats, Sandy! Best of luck to you in your search for a "mistress" car!

sandy85 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hey aholbro1,

I also made the transition to x308 XJR from the x300 XJ6, and I didn't think I would like it as much as my beloved XJ6. I was waaaay wrong. the XJR has everything I could want in a car- I don't even look at other cars anymore, with the exception of vintage convertibles because they didn't make the x308 in convertible for consumers. It IS tempting to buy one and start welding and chopping to create a 2 door convertible x308....but methinks that would be be much moolah and much time.

Last edited by dsnyder586; 01-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.
aholbro1 (01-12-2013)

Quick Reply: Silly Thought, Comments Welcome!