XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Simply Performance Silencer/Muffler Deletes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022 | 09:12 AM
|
Default Simply Performance Silencer/Muffler Deletes

Does anyone run these on their XJR/XJ8? I'd like a bit more sound but don't want to modiify the car too much and get a custom system made. I read a lot of threads on placing an x-pipe in place of the front box and then deleting the second set of mufflers but don't want to get into that at the moment. The rear box deletes are obviously the easiest to change and car can be put back to stock easily. Curious what people think of them. Guess I could just remove my rears and see if I like it before buying anything.

Old 07-25-2022 | 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

I don’t have any experience with that particular exhaust system but, I’m still going to profess to leave the very rear mufflers in place, straight pipe the 2 center mufflers and X pipe the front muffler. If you were to simply remove the rear mufflers and drive a ways with that, I just don’t think that will give you an honest sound because it’s not exiting out the very back. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Old 07-25-2022 | 11:38 AM
|

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I don’t have any experience with that particular exhaust system but, I’m still going to profess to leave the very rear mufflers in place, straight pipe the 2 center mufflers and X pipe the front muffler. If you were to simply remove the rear mufflers and drive a ways with that, I just don’t think that will give you an honest sound because it’s not exiting out the very back. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Yea, I saw some of the older threads where that was recommended. I just really dont want to do anything permanent for now. I actually like how quiet the car is and may just end up keeping it that way (I have plenty of other loud cars...) but a little more noise would be welcomed. Maybe I'll try to find a pair of rear mufflers from a parts car and weld in a straight pipe or small resonator, although might just be cheaper to buy the kit depending on if I can find a used set locally or not.

Old 07-25-2022 | 09:02 PM

When I bought mine, the rearmost on one side was missing. Instead of replacing, I just cut the other one off and replaced with a curved pipe and a straight pipe, put on the chrome tip I had and bought another tip. Not loud. Just a little more throaty.

Old 07-25-2022 | 09:37 PM
|

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
When I bought mine, the rearmost on one side was missing. Instead of replacing, I just cut the other one off and replaced with a curved pipe and a straight pipe, put on the chrome tip I had and bought another tip. Not loud. Just a little more throaty.
Thank you, very helpful. That's exactly what I'm looking for, just a bit of sound. I want it to stay civilized since its a Jag and not a Mustang, but just a bit of sound might be nice.

Is there any drone with just the rear mufflers removed? I plan on using the car on the highway a lot so drone would probably get annoying. If not I think I'll definitley go for it. Can always put it back to stock if I choose.

Old 07-26-2022 | 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Does anyone run these on their XJR/XJ8? I'd like a bit more sound but don't want to modiify the car too much and get a custom system made. I read a lot of threads on placing an x-pipe in place of the front box and then deleting the second set of mufflers but don't want to get into that at the moment. The rear box deletes are obviously the easiest to change and car can be put back to stock easily. Curious what people think of them. Guess I could just remove my rears and see if I like it before buying anything.
I'm considering the same thing. There's a video on YouTube from Simply Performance themselves which illustrates the change. I thought it sounded quite good - not too load but gives a bit of burble.

Old 07-26-2022 | 07:02 AM
|

Thanks @markdpeter I did see their video, but I can never really get a good idea of exhaust sound through video. I do like that it sounds really subtle. I think I'm going to order it and see how it goes. If I don't like it I can go back to stock. Mostly just concered about drone on the highway. That used to not bother me when I was younger, but these days I can definitley do without it.

Old 07-26-2022 | 07:36 AM

Thanks @markdpeter I did see their video, but I can never really get a good idea of exhaust sound through video. I do like that it sounds really subtle. I think I'm going to order it and see how it goes. If I don't like it I can go back to stock. Mostly just concered about drone on the highway. That used to not bother me when I was younger, but these days I can definitley do without it.
I too like the subtle improvement so let me know how you get on. I've got a bit of a drone at 1,500rpm already on the current standard system so wondering if it will actually improve it. ;-) In the video comments, they also mention swapping in a K&N air filter. I might try that too.

Old 07-26-2022 | 08:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by markdpeter
I too like the subtle improvement so let me know how you get on. I've got a bit of a drone at 1,500rpm already on the current standard system so wondering if it will actually improve it. ;-) In the video comments, they also mention swapping in a K&N air filter. I might try that too.
Will do, probably going to order today and depending when it arrives may have it on next week. I've never been a fan of K&N or any oiled filters on MAF-equipped cars. If you want a high flow filter and oiless version would be best, less chance of causing MAF issues. They also don't really add much (if any) power over an OEM-spec filter. Maybe a bit more noise, but probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Old 07-26-2022 | 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Subtle exhaust note

I may be the oddball however I really am partial to the way the XJ8 sounds in stock attire. Subtle low notes at idle and a hefty growl when punched. It is hard for me to get an idea how to improve upon the stock sound.

Old 07-26-2022 | 07:19 PM

Here is an old post I made regarding modifications to the exhaust. The center box is what you would want to keep and straight pipe the rest.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1519696

Old 07-26-2022 | 08:27 PM
|

Very interesting, thanks for posting @Col. Sandurz I'm going to start with the rear boxes and go from there. It's funny, I had the car out tonight for an hour drive and I think I might end up just keeping it stock in the end. For some reason I feel like there really shouldn't be any sound from the car, it just kind of wafts along silently but purposefully.

I've had a lot of fast cars, muscle cars, etc. and used to make them pretty loud but over the years that need has gone away and I prefer a bit more subdued sound while still being able to hear the car. I think it's worth giving it a shot and if I dont like it so be it, can always put it back to stock. There's always the possibility just a bit of sound will make me want more, and then I'll turn my attention to the mufflrers before the axle but we'll see. I'll be sure to report back with my thoughts when I get it done.

Old 07-27-2022 | 02:44 AM

It's funny, I had the car out tonight for an hour drive and I think I might end up just keeping it stock in the end. For some reason I feel like there really shouldn't be any sound from the car, it just kind of wafts along silently but purposefully.
Thanks for kicking off this t@87LC2 . It's finally motivated me into action and I've just clicked the button and ordered the Simply Performance pipes. If you want to wait to get some feedback from me, I'll be installing them in the week of August 12, presuming they arrive on time, and I'll post my experience in this thread.

I completely get your comments above so why do I want to do this? Over the years I've owned car with single cylinder engines, flat twins, 3 cylinders, straight 4's, V4's, flat 4's, straight 5's, straight 6's, flat 6's, V6's, and a V12. To my shame before my US friends and forum members, until 6 months ago I'd never owned a V8. I'd always wanted one since a cool dude turned up in our street in the mid 70's in a Mach 1 Mustang. I can still feel the shaking of our little English house as that mighty V8 rumbled away. Big American V8's don't really fit the small English roads and I'm in love with the XJ Jags, so when an XJ8 came available for little more than $2k, I bought it. I love the smoothness and quietness of the engine itself but I need that V8 burble and the rear silencer/muffler delete seems to give that in a rather subtle way.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how I get on and post the results.

Old 07-27-2022 | 06:14 AM
|

Originally Posted by markdpeter
Thanks for kicking off this t@87LC2 . It's finally motivated me into action and I've just clicked the button and ordered the Simply Performance pipes. If you want to wait to get some feedback from me, I'll be installing them in the week of August 12, presuming they arrive on time, and I'll post my experience in this thread.

I completely get your comments above so why do I want to do this? Over the years I've owned car with single cylinder engines, flat twins, 3 cylinders, straight 4's, V4's, flat 4's, straight 5's, straight 6's, flat 6's, V6's, and a V12. To my shame before my US friends and forum members, until 6 months ago I'd never owned a V8. I'd always wanted one since a cool dude turned up in our street in the mid 70's in a Mach 1 Mustang. I can still feel the shaking of our little English house as that mighty V8 rumbled away. Big American V8's don't really fit the small English roads and I'm in love with the XJ Jags, so when an XJ8 came available for little more than $2k, I bought it. I love the smoothness and quietness of the engine itself but I need that V8 burble and the rear silencer/muffler delete seems to give that in a rather subtle way.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how I get on and post the results.
Hope you like them, I just ordered mine as well. We'll see who gets them installed first

I'm the opposite of you - I've owned lots of V8 cars, never anything smaller than the supercharged V6 in my daily driver Impala. Although I'd love an inline 6 or V12 Jag at some point. I used to make my cars pretty loud and its true they sounded awesome, but as I said getting older has changed my thoughts on that somewhat. I still do like the sound of a V8 though so interested to see what the pipes do. Hopefully they are very sublte and just give the Jag a bit more presence without being obnoxious.

Old 07-27-2022 | 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Any mufler shop can make muffler deletes. So, one could go that route, and get it done the same day. I want the Supersprint setup. But the cost is crazy.

Old 07-27-2022 | 08:41 AM
|

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Any mufler shop can make muffler deletes. So, one could go that route, and get it done the same day. I want the Supersprint setup. But the cost is crazy.
Never knew ab out Supersprint, just looked them up and you're right they are expensive...I was going to find a set of stock mufflers and just cut them out and weld in stragiht pipe, but the Simply kit is cheap enough that its not even worth messing with.

The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (07-27-2022)
Old 07-28-2022 | 06:20 AM

Pipes have just arrived. They seem decent quality and include Jubilee clamps. Unfortunately, no chance to fit them until I get back from a business trip in ten days. I'll just get some penetrating oil on the current clamps for now to give me a reasonable chance of getting them off...

Old 07-28-2022 | 06:35 AM
|

Wow, that was quick! I don't think mine have even shipped yet.

Old 07-28-2022 | 06:48 AM

Wow, that was quick! I don't think mine have even shipped yet.
They arrived about an hour after I'd got confirmation of shipping! I am in the UK, of course, and it's a small country - they are only about 250 miles away.

I'm itching to get them installed but it will have to wait.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (07-28-2022)
Old 08-04-2022 | 08:48 AM
|

My pipes arrived Tuesday and I got them installed last night. It was a bit of a fight getting the original mufflers off, but luckily they eventually did break free so I can re-use them if necessary. The Simply pipes are very nice quality as @markdpeter said. They are a bit shorter than the OE pipes and the stock XJR tailpipes sit in a little further on the bumper, but they look good. Fitment was dead on, no issues there. Be sure to remove the rear exhaust hanger first (2 13mm nuts), other wise no way you're getting them off.

It was late when I finished so didn't take the car for a drive, but did fire it up. I'll take it out when I get home from work today. There is a bit more sound at idle and it sounds good. As long as it doesn't drone I think it will be perfect, just a bit more rumble/sound but definitely not too loud. It's a similar tone to a Mustang Cobra of the same era but not quite as loud. I think it will be a good setup and will report back after a drive.

Quick Reply: Simply Performance Silencer/Muffler Deletes