XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

SLIPPING TRANNY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default SLIPPING TRANNY

Hello guys, I have a 98' XJ8L and my tranny is slipping bad!! It was working fine one day the the next day it starting slipping at a light and would barely move forward. It shifts fine in reverse, but slips in the other forward gears. I started it today and tried to move it and it jerked forward and drove a lil but slipped again. I took it to a transmission shop and they said it is gone, without a doubt!

Should I take it to the dealer and get a $80 second opinion?Could it be anything else? Like a sensor/solenoid?

Also on getting a rebuilt unit. I can get a 3yr rebuilt unlimited mile warranty tranny/convertor from Advanced Auto partsaround $2000. I have a couple guys at another transmission shop willing to do thelabor for $500? They work on Chevys, Fords etc all day. Is there ANYTHING to look for in the removal and installation on the XJ8, so they will not damage or have problems? What questions should I ask the installers andcompany rebuilding the tranny?Any input will be appreciated!

Regards

Ikon

Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: SLIPPING TRANNY

No need for second opinion. Needs a tranny.

If it is for sure a 3 year rebuilt for 2k I would say do it.
Removal of cats is hardest part. Make sure they put the heatshields on there when thy done.
Other than that no different from any other rwd trans. Make sure hey put right fluid in it.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks.What do you recommend for the fluid, weight, type etc?Should I get it from the dealer or buy Castrol syn, red line or some other brand?Also, can I go with a hi-performance cat without setting off any check engine lights?

Ikon

Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are purchasing a rebuilt transmission with a three year warranty, then the only recommendation on fluid type is the one that comes from the rebuilder who will be responsible for honoring the warranty. Jaguar factory rebuilt transmissions are shipped full of the correct Esso LT7411 fluid.

As far as an installer, ask them if it necessary to flush the transmission cooler and lines before they install the replacement unit. If they say "yes" and explain to you what method they use, they are probably knowledgeable enough to trust with this job. If they don't seem to think this step is required, or know exactly what you are referring to, run away.

Final filling of the fluid is not rocket science, but it requires a specific procedure. Make sure the installer has the brains to acquire and execute the proper instructions on how to do so.

The prices you were quoted are reasonable, I have a factory rebuilt trans with 6K miles on it and I reasoned that it was worth $2500. installed. Fresh from a Jag dealer that unit is priced in the $4500 range, not including labor.

If you purchase the rebuilt you mentioned, please keep the forum updated on the results. That may turn out to be a very good solution to a problem that occurs all too often. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Indeed. I have a VDP and my cost to buy factory rebuilt is more than that....and only 1 year warranty.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

As far as an installer, ask them if it necessary to flush the transmission cooler and lines before they install the replacement unit. If they say "yes" and explain to you what method they use, they are probably knowledgeable enough to trust with this job. If they don't seem to think this step is required, or know exactly what you are referring to, run away.

Final filling of the fluid is not rocket science, but it requires a specific procedure. Make sure the installer has the brains to acquire and execute the proper instructions on how to do so.
What is the specific procedure on the filling of the tranny? Sorry so many ???, but I want to get it installed without any hiccups!

ALSO, a customer of mine is the professor of the community college and high schoolautomotive vo-Tech center, stated that he would do it for meat the college for FREE! I'm responsible for material needed and I would give back and donate some shop supplies(gallon hand cleaner, shop towels, mechanic gloves)for his studentsat a cost of about $150 total! He is VERY smart and ase certified in all areas and been the instructor there for over 10 years.

Should I go for it?

Side note, my 2003 S TypeR died on me yesterday!!! I had to get Jaguar tosend out a tow truck to take it to the dealer. I had my fuel pump replaced in my XJ8 2yrs ago and I'm almost certain it's the pump in the TypeR. I'm glad this one will be cover under the select edition warranty!

Ikon

Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM

If he is knowledagble and he can access the procedure for doing the trans then $150 labor is awesome. Just make sure he isn't letting the kids have at it....lol

Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

lol .hopefully the trani lines dont take out the treads.. in the trani.. he wud get pissed off lol

Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 AM

Hey genius,

I was thinking about buying a drum machine and punching the "roll" button every time I reach for fitting on the left...

Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

lol..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM

The Advance Auto Parts deal that Ikon mentioned really caught my attention, since I'm always looking for good sources. Here's the full scoop:

Three year warranty
Shipped dry to local store
Retail price $2500 approx, trade price $2200
Core required

So the good news is that you don't have to pay any shipping charges for obtaining the unit , or for returning the core: it's a $700 deposit, and you only have to bring the failed unit to the seller's store.

The bad news: although the rebuilder has a core bank, they don't have units rebuilt to ship. That takes about ten business days from date of order. I don't know what fluid they specify, but if it's the Esso and you buy it by the litre from a Jag dealer, that's another $500. You can get it in 20 litre jugs for about $300, but that's the best you can do. Just keep this in mind when shopping for a trans or a rebuilder: the factory units are supplied filled, some price quotes like the one I got are not.

Last point is that there is an outfit on Ebay offering rebuilts for a good price: however, if you do some checking you will find at least a couple of unsatisfied customers. With several vendors there to choose from, you might find one who is trustworthy.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Good info bud. Nice looking out.