XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Smoke / Steam but no Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smoke / Steam but no Leak?

sup Jaggs,

I have an 01 XJR, and I have searched the forum for an answer, and I cant seem to find it.
The car originally was leaking Coolant, and possibly Power Steering Fluid,

But I have replaced hoses for Water Pump and a new Water Pump and hoses for Coolant as well as Power Steering at my shop, and leaks immediately stopped, and riding great so far. But I noticed that white smoke still comes out from the bottom of my car, close to where the leaks were coming out of, {and around my Cats}.

-Temp is normal, or average
-System is not letting me know of any messages

I am assuming, that the fluid leaks prior are still not dried up completely at all and that's what could've been causing this. What are the thoughts out here?

I am going to the shop this week to get that looked at to see exactly what the issue is. But answers are greatly appreciated.

For those who had this issue before, would this be something to be GREATLY concerned about? Or what have been the solution to it?
Is this something that can be fixed through time {drying of the residue ?}

Thanks Guys!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by whyhellothere
sup Jaggs,

I am assuming, that the fluid leaks prior are still not dried up completely at all and that's what could've been causing this. What are the thoughts out here?

I am going to the shop this week to get that looked at to see exactly what the issue is. But answers are greatly appreciated.

For those who had this issue before, would this be something to be GREATLY concerned about? Or what have been the solution to it?
Is this something that can be fixed through time {drying of the residue ?}

Thanks Guys!
Simple answer really...you have replaced hoses etc.

Look around with a bright torch when engine is hot and idling....see no leaks, take it out for a 100 mile drive and then check for leaks, steaming and fluid level....by all accounts, it's probably OK ;o]

If you are not convinced, have a pressure check done on the cooling system.
It may also be advisable to have compression or leak down test performed to ascwertain whether you may have head gasket issues.