XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Snow chains for the XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Snow chains for the XJR?

Spent much of my day waxing and winterizing the X type, getting the TVR ready for a winter nap and putting the hippo hands on the cycle. Pulled the snows out of the basement for the XJR but just wondering if anybody has put chains on their XJR. I ski and taking the X type isn't always going to be an option as my wife will need a car at times. Plus since I do work for a Township Public Works department I will have to go to work when it is quite nasty out. Granted I'm usually there long before the snow gets heavy and don't go home until the roads are clear. Was thinking of buying a set of chains to keep in case I need 'em. Saw these for a nice price thought I'd get some opinions. Never had a vehicle that I needed chains but figure the XJR just might.

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/ch...chainrad_c.htm

Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chains

Chains seem to be a blessing and curse. Most of the time they perform as needed, but a little to much speed or contact with pavement and the have a tendency to fatigue at the links and take out a fender in the process. You are however looking at the cable type, of which I would consider a much wiser choice. Luckily Arkansas shuts down at the mere mention of ice (we rarely get snow) and the city is dead for a period of three or four days. We simply do not have the equiptment to handle it, and most of our city is hills.

The following users liked this post:
benebob (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

seems like a good idea if I lived in a snow-prone area I would have some

benebob (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
ud

Originally Posted by rjwebber2
Luckily Arkansas shuts down at the mere mention of ice (we rarely get snow) and the city is dead for a period of three or four days. We simply do not have the equiptment to handle it, and most of our city is hills.
You don't even need to mention it, just drop the temps. I went to UNCC back in the early 90s. Had a cold spell hit dropping daytime temps to 10-15 degrees. I was simply shocked by the amount of school closings (which I actually understood due to kids not having the right clothes for standing at a bus stop) and WORK closings. Yes, entire offices were closed not just construction and warehouse guys! No snow was in the forcast.

Thanks guys, I'll pick up a pair for emergencies. It is the back roads by the local ski place that are quite hilly and poorly maintained that I worry the most about. Traction control only goes so far. If you don't have traction, you don't go up the hill.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I was going from Sacramento, CA to Reno, NV and checked the weather beforehand. It was supposed to be clear. Well, as I headed up the hill, it started to snow. BAD! When I got near the summit, they required chains. I was absolutely amazed at how well the XJR did in the snow WithOut chains, but again, it was required. I was forced (Due to Time Constraints) to purchase my chains at a Gas Station at the summit. $120! Ouch! They were a pain to put on, like every other car, but they functioned quite well. Very similar to the ones you show in your post. This was the first time I've chained up in over 25 years. I either have a 4X4, or just tell them I do and I've gotten through. This time, he asked, I said I was not sure, but I had a button on the dash that I believed was All Wheel Drive. He didn't bite and made me turn back... I tried...

Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Spider Spikes for my 2001 XJ8. They work great the few times I needed them. I live in the south but purchased incase I need to make an emergency trip up north with aging grandparents.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Spider Spikes?

WOW! for $500, I can call AAA or rent a 4WD, or hitch-hike......some KIND of product there!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow is right. I actually did not look at the prices on the website. I purchased a brand new set on Ebay for 145.00 shipped to my door.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benebob
Spent much of my day waxing and winterizing the X type, getting the TVR ready for a winter nap and putting the hippo hands on the cycle. Pulled the snows out of the basement for the XJR but just wondering if anybody has put chains on their XJR. I ski and taking the X type isn't always going to be an option as my wife will need a car at times. Plus since I do work for a Township Public Works department I will have to go to work when it is quite nasty out. Granted I'm usually there long before the snow gets heavy and don't go home until the roads are clear. Was thinking of buying a set of chains to keep in case I need 'em. Saw these for a nice price thought I'd get some opinions. Never had a vehicle that I needed chains but figure the XJR just might.

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/ch...chainrad_c.htm
Re snow tires:
I just met another Jag owner at Costco, who showed me his "auto socks", which are just that, they fit over the wheels in a snow storm. Just keep them in the trunk. They are like burlap with studs, great in an emergency, kind of like cloth chains. They cost $100. I am thrilled. Since moving from Southern California to Colorado, I have been looking at a car to replace my black on black 2002 XJR, which only has 60,000 miles. All I can get in a trade is $12,000 and I get some plastic AWD car with no character. I test drove the Subaru Outback, the Mazda CX7 and Toyota RAV. Now, I am going to keep my baby and if it snows and I am home, I stay in, if I am out, I put on my auto socks. I am ordering them tomorrow. Maybe I will be a little cheap convertible to drive around when it is yucky out and save gas. Not sure what to get, maybe a Ford Fusion. I like the Mini Cooper, don't know about gas mileage. New research time. Merry Christmas to all. Mary Pat

benebob (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
ud

Originally Posted by mppetunia11
Re snow tires:
I just met another Jag owner at Costco, who showed me his "auto socks", which are just that, they fit over the wheels in a snow storm. Just keep them in the trunk. They are like burlap with studs, great in an emergency, kind of like cloth chains. They cost $100. I am thrilled. Since moving from Southern California to Colorado, I have been looking at a car to replace my black on black 2002 XJR, which only has 60,000 miles. All I can get in a trade is $12,000 and I get some plastic AWD car with no character. I test drove the Subaru Outback, the Mazda CX7 and Toyota RAV. Now, I am going to keep my baby and if it snows and I am home, I stay in, if I am out, I put on my auto socks. I am ordering them tomorrow. Maybe I will be a little cheap convertible to drive around when it is yucky out and save gas. Not sure what to get, maybe a Ford Fusion. I like the Mini Cooper, don't know about gas mileage. New research time. Merry Christmas to all. Mary Pat
Thanks for the suggestion, will look into 'em. What about buying yourself a nice used winter X-type (would highly recommend a 2.5l Manual tranny model. I picked my 05 up for $6000). I liked driving every single Mini I've been behind the wheel of, just know too many horor stories to ever recommend it.