XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

so does this seem stupid to anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default so does this seem stupid to anyone else

I got into a conversation with another Jag owner the other day after he saw me lay down my keys at the counter at a checkout. He also has a 1998 XJ8, but his is a SWB. He paid 8,000 dollars for it a year ago with 85,000 miles. He THEN paid 5,000 dollars to have it painted from light green to white (I saw it, and they didn't even mask underneath where it would normally be black, including the jacking location covers) and he is now converting it to a VDP. So far he has added the picnic trays, the grill, the steering wheel, and the wheels. all of which he is buying new from the dealer (Gasp, heart palpitations, they must love him) I didn't say anything to him, but why wouldn't you just find a white VDP? IT's not like its an uncommon color. Maybe I'm just mad because I really wanted a pale green XJ8 as it is my favorite color, but I wouldn't have mine painted, I would just go find one in that color.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Cadrad, dollars does not equal sense. His vehicle, you just have to smile and move on. I'm sure you have seen other vehicles that you ponder just what the person was thinking when they did what they did. Us jag owners are not immune. There just tends to be less of us. But those of us that do stuff like this, tend to do some really stupid things. Smile, be glad it isn't your car and go from there.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I was referring to (alluding to?) when I asked the question I did in the INTERIORS section. How far is TOO far when modifying a Jag?

I think changing the color is a wee bit over-the-top. Changing to VDP isn't so much so. I had thought about doing that with my 76 XJ12L, but I figured since I'm putting in the work, I might as well make it an XJ-N8...lol. (N8 = Nate...my name)

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Motor, it all depends on the group that you run with. Some would say that as long as you can still recognize the car as what it was built as, you are within your rights. Others will say even putting a different size tire on the car is blasphemy. I will tell you my personal experience after going to a Jaguar only car show is that the purist Jag owners believe in maintaining their Jags as they came off the show room floor. PERIOD. No if, ands, or buts. There were a few modified Jags there (aftermarket wheels and aftermarket radio) and those people were effectively shunned at the show. So, take it as you want. We all have different views of what should and should not be done to a car.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM

Gotcha. Not wanting to hi-jack the thread, but I don't really run with anyone other than myself...lol. So I guess it's up to me as to whether I like it or not, huh?

Now, if I were to own, say, a 2002 X-type or an older XK (50s era, for instance), I'd keep it as close to original as possible.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor- it seems that the things you are doing enhance the original design rather than replace it with something totally unrelated. They also are reversible to a large degree, so if some later owner of the car doesn't like it it car always be change back . I say go with it if you like it. Didn't the Vanden Plas cars and the Diamlers (SP?) have burl walnut like your doing anyway? MY main point about the guy I was talking to was why go through the effort on a car this is readily available as one wants it with lower mileage and for thousands (THOUSANDS!) less then one is paying to change theirs over. Also why buy all new parts from the dealer for use on a 12 year old car? That's the part I don't understand and see as foolish.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 AM

Ah...true enough, cad. And, for the most part you're correct in that the changes I'M making can be reversed (except for the addition of the Leaper on the hood...lol).

I will never understand why someone would want to paint a car a color that is already available (specifically since, unless you're going to do a frame-off, which could cost over $10,000 here in the States, the paint job is going to end up like crap anyway). If I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd paint it some outlandish color or anything that isn't available (such as BRG that wasn't available for my 76...lol...not that I would, mind you). And yea, the money for brand new parts from a dealer eludes me. WAY too many after-market companies make new stuff for a fraction of the cost. Point taken.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I think I would not bash that guy just for spending too much money for such a conversion .My very 1st ride was a '88 XJ40 Daimler aka VDP . It had no airbags,fog lamps, different mirrors,terrible suspension set up , unmatched wheel combination,no memory seats and etc ..... ( It would take years to list them all in here lol ) .
I just wanted to upgrade that ride in a sense a '88 in '93 model year accessories .However I already knew that that would not be cost effective .I later sold the ride and bought a '95 Daimler .
Now, I do have a '93 Daimler . I spent too much money in it but I think I would not feel kicking myself for that . I had the interior color changed (leathers, woods trim,interior trim parts was cream),X300 wheels . I was about to buy an XJR engine for my ride as well . Well don't worry I would not pull the trigger for the last part
I also would like to have an automatic digital A/C from X300 instead of what I do have .

Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 AM

I guess you're right to some respect, caddy. I can see myself spending enough money on my XJ12 to buy a newer car (already thinking about an X-type...hehe), but mainly simply to personalize it to my liking, and to (possibly) update a few things inside (as you said, a digital this or that, etc.) Some folks DO have the tendency to sell something once they realize that they will start sinking a bunch of money into it. They get rid of it so it will become "someone else's problem."

Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally you need a very compelling reason to change colors on a car - to do it correctly if very costly. This guy seems to have more $s than sense - maybe I'll get lucky and meet him when I go to sell my car :-)

Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Cadrad, dollars does not equal sense. His vehicle, you just have to smile and move on. I'm sure you have seen other vehicles that you ponder just what the person was thinking when they did what they did. Us jag owners are not immune. There just tends to be less of us. But those of us that do stuff like this, tend to do some really stupid things. Smile, be glad it isn't your car and go from there.
Seriously? "Us Jag owners" if you were that smart you would have bought the real deal Flagship and not the super economized ford jag x-type dude seriously hah that's about as far from Jaguar as you can get....you can get one in perfect condition for like $7k....not trying to be a dick but seriously, that's a ford.

Tell that guy he should have saved all that paint money because he will need to replace the timing system/cooling system/ and probably all wheel bearings.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Its not too bad that he's putting all those bits on his car, but I don't understand why he's getting them from the dealer!? You can get all those parts on ebay for a lot less, and I imagine the vast amount of Jaguar breakers yards would have them too. Each to their own eh?