XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

So whats the deal with this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default So whats the deal with this...

I know I'm a reasonably new member here but Ive been a Jaguar owner since the 70's. I belong to that other Jaguar forum and have since probably late 90's or 2000. I'm a Jaguar guy.... hence why I belong to Jaguar forums. Yesterday or the day before I posted about a Jaguar in trying to sell asking what others though the value of it was. Its had 36 views and NOT ONE comment.

I posted the same question on the other forum and was told it looked like I was trying the sell the car in a side handed way. Mind you not the exact words he used but absolutely how I took it.

I want to make a couple things completely clear. 1, I am not looking for or trying to SELL MY CAR to anyone on this forum or any other Jaguar forum. 2, I was honestly looking for what other like minded Jaguar owners and buyers think the value is of the car. I have seen MANY posts by people laying out all they knew about a car they were interested in and what others thought it was worth. So whats the problem with what I'm ASKING (not selling).

For those who care to know, I have owned for 13 years a company that makes custom diecast replicas of peoples real cars. I don't advertise it here and wont, I don't need to. I also invented and sell a kitchen accessory which I also don't advertise nor try to sell here.

My being honest that I have a wholesale dealer licence has been mentioned by me before. Want to know about 95-2005 GM's, Ford's or Dodge's I can tell ya in a heartbeat. Jaguars I buy for myself, my pleasure, my enjoyment and hands on playtime. I don't buy and sell Jaguars as a dealer. I buy and sell other cars that I resell at auctions. I wanted an honest (given the amount of Jaguar owners here) idea if I was pricing this car wrong or not. I didn't care if someone told me I was nuts, it was opinion request only yet 36 views later nothing.

I think now the reason has do with some on the forum thinking that I'm trying to sell the car here. If the moderators feel I went over the line then lock or remove the posting. I was just asking a opinion about a Jaguar. I thought that was what this forum and the other one were for, maybe I was wrong.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 AM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

John,
I read your post and did not think you were trying to find a buyer on the forum. If you were, it would not have bothered me. There is a section where you could list it if that was your intent.

I hope you are not offended by the lack of response, but frankly, I wish I knew what my car was worth too. These cars seem to sell in a range of dirt cheap to $10,000.00

I did not reply to your question because I did not have a good answer (not that my answers are all that good .. ha ha) however your number seems reasonable to me. I imagine many who looked were in the same boat as me.

Mainly, I hope you are not offended, as this forum is comprised of very helpful members. I started to do nearly all the repair work on my XJR a couple of years ago and, as I am not a tech, each job for me is usually a first time experience. This forum and its members has made these experiences repairs much easier.

Hang in there and relax a bit. I seem to recall some zero responses too.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hey, 0 reply has nothing to do with your selling the car . You could try ebay , craiglist and other sources but you first tried Jaguar Forums . This is a good intent acutally . No need to be offended .

Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Like the post above, I did not have a problem with your post, just didn't have a reasonable opinion to share.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

That member on that forum may be particularly snarky ... or had his own unit on the market in competition.

Most make specific auto forum members do not mind even blatant for sale postings as it expands the number of units available for potential purchase.

With a production of 15k? XJR units over 5 years, that's about 3k per year. Many have been totaled. That does not leave too many units available on the market.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I have looked at your Value Thread, and this Thread. Nowhere do I see a negative response.

If people choose not to comment, or give advice, then generally they don't have something to add, or disagree with the initial premiss, probably price in this instance.

You are looking for $4500 for a 99XJ8 that only a very limited market would want in your location. IMHO

So you need to be patient.

As Plums says, we do not have a problem about an active member trying to sell their car here, far from it. (Although a 1 hit wonder will have a problem), not you in this instance.

But, bit of a Catch 22, we are not Autotrader.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I think he was talking about some other forum where he got a negative response.