XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

An some surprising intake results

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM
ud
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Default An some surprising intake results

All I can say is anyone that says a true intake does not make a difference is either got a very crappy intake, badly designed intake, or well i honestly dont know. So anyway I spent the day and last night working out some kinks and originally we were gunna go with a 3in mandrel bent intake. This is due in part to the hood clearance and such. So anyway we got it done last night and I took it out for a spin and it felt good not great but good. So then I got a wild hair up my rear and decided to go and buy some tight 4 in radius bend of 3.5 inch and we copied the 3in but in 3.5 inch and it acually turned out great, we got the curve perfect so it doesnt interfere with the hood.

Now today was the fun part I got to the dyno early and strapped down and did 10 runs 2 with ea setup and didnt change the way the car was strapped down. Once again this is with the stock computer I have not even added my tuned computer to the mix yet or the 2.5 down pipes, high flow cats, and larger exhaust mannys. I used a laser temp gauge to make sure engine was at same temp for ea run with ea setup to make sure it was fair.

Heres how I did ea setup to see any results and if they were worth anything at all, I did it all as fair as I could. the cone filter used was a brand new unit and was used on ea setup tht a cone was used.

**test 1** stock setup complete with stock air filter..... base run

**test 2** stock setup with a K&N drop in filter.... results was 1rwhp and 2rwtq 1st run and 2rwhp and 2rwtq 2nd run so it seems the drop in is worth a lil more

**test 3** stock setup complete with air box removed and cone added to front of MAF 1st run 3rwhp and 2rwtq 2nd run 3rwhp and 3rwtq so a lil better than the drop in but still dont seem worth the trouble.

Now the fun

**test 4** 3in mandrel bent system with cone filter set in behind headlights and 1st run showed a 11rwhp and 18rwtq 1st run (exact same temps even a lil hotter being the outside temp had risen by 8 degrees) 2nd run was nearly identical but 10rwhp and 18rwtq over base and you could hear the blower whine

Now the surprise

**test 5** 3.5in mandrel bent system with cone in same spot filter right behind headlights 1st run 24rwhp and 28rwtq over base (this too was exact same engine temp but outside temp was now 10 degrees higher than the base run so not exactly helping my results) 2nd run was 25rwhp and 29rwtq and the blower sounded amazing.

Now i also want to note these are peak differences and not tht much over the entire rev range. But there was more hp and tq over the entire range. All runs were in 4th and after word i took it out for a run with the 3.5 since I have decided to stick with it, I know shocker huh and response is so much quicker its hard not to loose traction.

Also wanted to note that both the 3in and 3.5in showed more boost as well

Tomorrow we are going to build a cold air box fully enclosing the filter within a cold air box behind headlights and im gunna grind down the welds and have it powder coated for looks.

heres pics of the new 3.5in intake going together before being cleaned up and powdercoated will show new pics after its complete.

Dyno results will be posted as soon as i have everything completed this way it will show what everything does and the end result.

Pic of my buddy tht fabs up amazing work he was quite happy to be done last night, it was a long night of fitting lol

Attached Thumbnails An some surprising intake results-44.jpg   An some surprising intake results-45.jpg   An some surprising intake results-46.jpg   An some surprising intake results-47.jpg   An some surprising intake results-10.jpg  

An some surprising intake results-49.jpg  

Last edited by XJR-0220; 06-05-2012 at 11:31 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
Don B (12-22-2016), JKo (06-07-2012), LaserSVT (06-07-2012), Panthro (08-30-2012), Rlover (06-07-2012), xjay8 (02-14-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Why not show the dyno runs now? It would be of great value. What did the a/f ratio do ? When altering the airflow over the MAF sensor this could change a little as well and affect the output, which could diminish after your ECU has relearned.
Nevertheless, vacuum in the intake if consuming power from the engine, so the lower you can get this the better.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
ud

Funny you mention vaccumm cus it too chnaged AFR was affected but not as much as I thought it would be, some of it due in part too more boost on the 3in and the 3.5in. As I said all my dyno graphs from start to finish will be posted up within a bit after i get everything done. This way everyone can see what ea thing acually does for the car.

I just got my intake gaskets yesterday and will probably port match the intercooler and injectors mannys this weekend then I have to head back to the oil fields to do some acual work lol.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The cheap way is to check your vacuum to see if you have made any improvements in the intake. But as you said in another post, you have a flow master 600 (of which I can only dream of to have), with this you should be able to prove/check changes much easier even. Most important spot is the bent to the TB, and I guess there you made the best positive change. Ideally you could make the tube there even 4” (or more), and create a little bellhouse shape on the TB to which you attach it.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM
ud

I may try and do a 4 in but we ke[t hitting the hood and so it would have to be flattened and dont know if tht would be ideal so far the 3.5 feels amazing. I have a superflow 600 flow master is a muffler LOL. Its not the best I got it for a good price from a machine shop tht was going out of buisness. Its older model and such but still works

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm surprised you got the 3.5" to clear the hood above the TB. That's the worst part about making an intake for these cars. It doesn't touch even with driving?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
ud

nope working great barely missing it

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

See attached pic:

Do you think the flow going into the throttle body could be substantially improved at this location by way of using some sort of funnel on the inside of this bend to keep the air in a more laminar flow? The TB sticking up looks like an area where there is still some improvement to be had.

What do you think?

It may have a very snug fit, and only have a little bit of lip on the front, it is hard to tell from the photo. Just wondering if there is a little bit of turbulence left that can be eliminated.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Newby; 06-07-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

If using a tell tale like smoke and light through a plexi prototype - you'd see stalling air and back eddies, nothing major, but enough to give thought to improvement. Further, tapping in vacuum lines will locate the areas that need addressing.

The reason? because air flow has to go through a right angle so some air will be faster and some slower (distance covered within the 90 degree turn).

Avos considered this with the STR guys and their version, to slope the intake at the back part, meaning air isn't crashing against it, then changing direction = more directional flow.

It'll never be laminar. To achieve that would be impossible on our engines, the air has to go through 180 degrees before it reaches the blower...a tight horse shoe shape, any relaxing is an improvement, even rotating the throttle body in some way would assist airflow (cut the height, wedge the base). Custom MAF housing and bigger throttle body diameter should help, volume not vacuum.

This part could be fabricated in alloy?

Last edited by Sean B; 06-07-2012 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
ud

well if you wanted to sand the area of the TB down a bit it may help even more but not enough to make a huge difference but i can say tht according to my superflow last night we made a few more changes to straighten airflow and find the best place to improve flow and vaccum. The intake size is only gunna help til you are not making the supercharger and piston work so hard to get air in. the stock intake makes it harder and is not optimum size I dont even know if 3.5 is optimum i do know tht to get bigger u will need to figure out how to fit it under the hood. But in our testing last night seems air velocity increased alot over the stock intake and the turbulence of the small part of the TB stickin up was neglegible. the other side of the inlet helps air in alot smoother due to its shape. We straightened up some bends, made the mock up heat sheild, used a better filter which has a bigger surface area, and redid the MAf inlet and outlet which all showed lil more improvement on the superflow. Like Sean says nothing is perfect because of the blower elbow but all these improvements are helping to achieve more and better results.

If someone was so inclined to make a new TB to blower inlet with it tilted and better made it would yield even higher results but i can only do so much with the stock pieces. Next im excited to see what the tb boring does for power and response and hopefully its a nice lil gain.

Rlover (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I can NOT "Like/Thanks" this thread enough. XJR-0220, I sent you a PM, hoping to hear back from you, nice work.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 PM
ud

Well heres some more updates I made the bends smoother, relocated the MAF to a better position, got a better air filter, mocked up the heat shield, made the TB hold down bracket on the frt side stronger and got the pipe to enter the TB better. It feels better seals better an clears the hood by over a 1/4 inch. I tried painting it but when we tested for hood clearence it mucked it up as well as changing the bends and such so will just get it powdercoated now tht its perfected lol.

Attached Thumbnails An some surprising intake results-62.jpg   An some surprising intake results-63.jpg   An some surprising intake results-64.jpg   An some surprising intake results-66.jpg   An some surprising intake results-67.jpg  

An some surprising intake results-68.jpg   An some surprising intake results-69.jpg   An some surprising intake results-70.jpg  

Last edited by XJR-0220; 06-08-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Rlover (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Well heres some more updates I made the bends smoother, relocated the MAF to a better position, got a better MAf, mocked up the heat shield, made the TB hold down bracket on the frt side stronger and got the pipe to enter the TB better. It feels better seals better an clears the hood by over a 1/4 inch. I tried painting it but when we tested for hood clearence it mucked it up as well as changing the bends and such so will just get it powdercoated now tht its perfected lol.
When you say you got a better MAF? Why is better and what are using? Did you relocate your washer fluid bottle? That sheet metal above the washer bottle what about cutting out a section of it so it can draw more fresh air? Where the 90 sits on the TB, how have you made the seal, what material and how are you keep it in place? Same question for the front and back of the MAF then your cone?

thanks for your time on this. VERY impressed by the RWHP gains, amazing.

Jay

Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
ud

Tb to inlet elbow uses the same seal as the stocker, the MAf uses the same rubber seals to seal it to the pipes and gets bolted using the exsisting holes on the maf. I didnt source a new MAF that was a mistype sorry, would love to find one was suppose to say better air filter, fixed. I relocated the washer to same place but with an autozone universal unit smaller and tucks up nicely.

Last edited by XJR-0220; 06-08-2012 at 11:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
Newby (06-08-2012), Rlover (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM

I'm officially joining your fan club

Now (wiping something off my nose) could you please tell me exactly what air filter that is (and where to buy it)

When you "finalize" this intake design, I will buy one of them from you or your guy that is making them
Ideally we could get the price down by doing a small volume order (please ask your guy if this is something he would be interested in)

ooops, the guy I talked to on the phone was the one being used by Jgxkr, my mistake..

At any rate, this looks like the one I want

Last edited by Newby; 06-08-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: referenced wrong fabricator-now corrected
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 PM
ud

im sure we could make a few of these for anyone that wants one its to the point it wont be changed any over its current setup its minimal bends and does whats asked of it. only thing is it will be powdercoated to make it look pretty.

The following 5 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
JKo (06-10-2012), MaxTorq (03-20-2023), Porsche407 (02-14-2015), Rlover (06-08-2012), Roger77 (09-30-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 PM

im sure we could make a few of these for anyone that wants one its to the point it wont be changed any over its current setup its minimal bends and does whats asked of it. only thing is it will be powdercoated to make it look pretty.
I want one.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 PM

cool

Last edited by Rlover; 06-08-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I definitely want one too.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I really want one of these... I'm all for more whine and power easy!

Quick Reply: An some surprising intake results