XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Source for engine block heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Source for engine block heater

Back in the day Jag offered a cold weather package that included heated seats and a freeze-plug type block heater. I have the heated seats in my Sovereign, but no block heater. Being that my car has to live outside (I'm convinced Jaguar intended these cars be kept indoors, preferrably heated...), it's not a happy camper on dead-cold starts. January in Chicago this year is providing below-zero overnight temps.....
Does anybody know of a source for a factory-style freeze-plug mounted heater? I'd love to be able to put one in this car -- I know it would make a huge difference...
-Steve-

Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts
Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

I found this on eBay, it ships out of Lithuania.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Heat...-/122196879273

Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveXJ8L
Back in the day Jag offered a cold weather package that included heated seats and a freeze-plug type block heater. I have the heated seats in my Sovereign, but no block heater. Being that my car has to live outside (I'm convinced Jaguar intended these cars be kept indoors, preferrably heated...), it's not a happy camper on dead-cold starts. January in Chicago this year is providing below-zero overnight temps.....
Does anybody know of a source for a factory-style freeze-plug mounted heater? I'd love to be able to put one in this car -- I know it would make a huge difference...
-Steve-
If your project ever comes to fruition please detail it w/ a thread as myself & I'm sure others would be interested in that option as well.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a useful answer to the question, but my story regarding block heaters...

I'm from Florida and a few years ago, I went to work in the Bakken in North Dakota. I went to the interview at the yard for a major oilfield services company. In the parking lot, I noticed electrical outlets on posts lining the rows of parking spaces. I thought to myself, why are the oilfield guys using electric cars? In Florida, that would be the only reason to have electrical outlets in parking lots, right? As I was driving away, I had the "Oh crap, I know what those are for" realization. That's when I started browsing the Duluth Trading Co. catalog.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I did a little searching today at work (Advance Auto) and discovered I can order one through them. It's a Kat's branded unit that screws into the freeze plug hole at the left rear of the block, same as OEM. Price is $38.99. I need to do a little more research before just ordering it, to make sure the 30mm thread size is correct. According to the computer at work, it fits a variety of Jags and Land Rovers from the late 90s all the way to 2017, and also the Jag-derived 3.9 in the 2002-2005 T-bird. Anybody have any experience with these? Seems like it might be a good option. I wish I'd started thinking about this 3 weeks ago before it got cold -- supposed to be down around -25º F overnight in a couple days.....
-Steve-

The following users liked this post:
thelegend0210 (10-04-2023)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by jjyergler
I'm from Florida and a few years ago, I went to work in the Bakken in North Dakota.
Hahahaha,....I was stationed in Minot, that God forsaken frozen he**hole, for 3 1/2 yrs. I was going to make the AF a career before that place.

Hey KC, what reason would you need a block heater for in NC? They are really only needed for areas above say Columbus, Oh or out where the wind blows mercilessly with chilling winds, like Iowa and Kansas and above.
Btw....block heaters will eventually leak (the bung will dry out from the heat). There was a better option we used when I was stationed up there and it cycled the fluid. It was an inline block heater. It was cut into the radiator hose and has an impeller to move the fluid through system. This way your not just heating one area and replacing a hose is so much easier than a block unit. For anyone in and/or above the listed areas, I also recommend an oil pan heater (they silicone to the pan), because having warmed thin oil is so much better on the engine in multiple ways. Plus, your antifreeze will do just that, prevent freezing of the coolant and it will warm up in time.
1. The oil is more fluid and gets to the required areas, ...especially the OHC's, thus preventing premature wear. The hole to the OHC's is quite small.
2. The starter will thank you and will help prevent electrical issues (excessive power needed) when starting...thus possible battery damage.
3. This can be used on the trans also, but can easily be knocked off if placed in a poor location.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-26-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Hahahaha,....I was stationed in Minot, that God forsaken frozen he**hole, for 3 1/2 yrs. I was going to make the AF a career before that place.

Hey KC, what reason would you need a block heater for in NC? They are really only needed for areas above say Columbus, Oh or out where the wind blows mercilessly with chilling winds, like Iowa and Kansas and above
I have property in Minnesota, now that my X308's sorted I may be using it to make the commute.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (01-27-2019)