XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Spark Plug & Transmission Fluid Recommendation XJR

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug & Transmission Fluid Recommendation XJR

Hey folks - new guy here. Got my dream 2000 XJR finally last year : a somewhat rare silver / light leather interior. Only 65K miles!

I'm starting to do some routine maintenance on it as I don't have the previous owners maintenance records and it's going on 20 years old now. I've already done some things (such as brakes / engine oil / front shocks & tower bearings), but am looking next at spark plugs and transmission oil / filter. Neither seem so bad right now, but just something that it seems to make sense to do proactively.

FCP Euro online seems to have some good offers and I was planning on getting the parts and having my local service station due the work as it doesn't seem that complicated - and the quotes I've gotten elsewhere have been excessive. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right / best parts.

Spark Plugs :

Mine has the "AJ27" supercharged V8 engine (MY2000)

Was planning to get the NGK 7866, which is supposed to be the OEM Jaguar / NGK part. It's an iridium spark plug. These go for about $11 each.

If anyone has bought these, do they know if they come pre-gapped for the 0.9 – 1.0 (0.035 – 0.039) recommended gap?

Unhelpfully the NGK website says the OE part is a LASER PLATINUM plug (PFR6G-13E) - though I'm ignoring that as everywhere else seems to point to the Iridium spark plug.

Alternatively, I see NGK has iridium spark plugs which are listed as NGK (3764) BKR6EIX-11 Iridium IX, which are available for only about $7 each. But these are supposedly gapped at .052. I'm inclined to just spend the extra $ on the OEM part if it comes properly pre-gapped.

Any spark plug suggestions / comments appreciated.

Transmission Fluid / Filter :

My XJR has the Mercedes 5 speed transmission.

Looking around online it seems that the Shell ATF originally listed is not readily available in the US. Most part stores I go to seem to suggest the Pentosin brand ATF, which I guess is what Mercedes uses now? FCP Euro has kits w/ the filter and other pieces available for a very reasonable $86. However they also offer the same kit with Liqui Moly for marginally more ($104). Is there any advantage to go for Liqui Moly instead? Has anyone used that on their XJR?

I also read a Valvoline publication that claims their "MaxlifeATF" is a substitute - though I don't see any real advantage to doing that as the Pentosin is about the same price.

Anyone have experience / suggestion on ATF for their XJR?

Lastly, looking at a 2004 Jaguar spec publication online, it states that the max ATF capacity is 10L (!). However the "kit" above from FCP has 1 gallon or 5L of fluid.

Does anyone know how much is needed to do a complete flush & replace?

Thanks so much for all your help / suggestions!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Alright folks - think I found the answer to my own question, at least for the spark plugs, searching through various posts here.

Going w/ the NGK 7866, also known as the IFR5N10. These apparently are speced for the 02-03 XJR but will also work on the MY00 & 01. They are the "laser iridium" models and run a bit hotter than original, but therefore are less prone to fouling. They seem to come correctly pre-gapped. The price on FCP Euro is as good as anywhere else : $11.20 each (+ free shipping).

Please chime in though w/ suggestions on the automatic transmission fluid - particularly if you are using something other than the Pentosin brand (e.g. Liqui Moly, Valvoline, something else). And if anyone can confirm how many quarts / liters I need to get - that would be even more greatly appreciated!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

I have a CLS55 with the same 5-speed. MAVA and other rebuilders on the benz forums use Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF, $18 a gallon at Walmart. Pentosin's ATF-134 is 3x the price. The 722.6 doesn't really care about fluid, you can use basically anything.

Last edited by xalty; 03-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts

You should use NGK PFR5G-11E:

As for the ATF, I would use only Jaguar (or MB) approved fluids. They are Shell ATF 3403-M 115 or MB Part # 001-989-21-03-10. The transmission contains 9.5 Lit of fluid but, if drain (including removal of the sump) and refill, you can replace only some 7 Lit. To completely flush the old ATF, you will need to disconnect the ATF cooler line at the side of the transmission and follow the procedure described in the attached PDF file. Instead of disconnecting the cooler line at the transmission, you can disconnect it at the radiator. I do not know whether it is the top or the bottom one but you can follow the pipe connected to the side of the transmission and find out. The old ATF will, in this case, come out of the fitting on the radiator. For this operation, you will need about 12 Lit of ATF.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
722.6 Flush.pdf (271.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
You should use NGK PFR5G-11E:

As for the ATF, I would use only Jaguar (or MB) approved fluids. They are Shell ATF 3403-M 115 or MB Part # 001-989-21-03-10. The transmission contains 9.5 Lit of fluid but, if drain (including removal of the sump) and refill, you can replace only some 7 Lit. To completely flush the old ATF, you will need to disconnect the ATF cooler line at the side of the transmission and follow the procedure described in the attached PDF file. Instead of disconnecting the cooler line at the transmission, you can disconnect it at the radiator. I do not know whether it is the top or the bottom one but you can follow the pipe connected to the side of the transmission and find out. The old ATF will, in this case, come out of the fitting on the radiator. For this operation, you will need about 12 Lit of ATF.
Thanks. Do you thinks there’s any problem using IFR5N10 / 7866 for the spark plugs as the 02 / 03 XJR seems to be identical to the 00 / 01?

Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts

I don't think there is any problem using IFR5N10. Same heat range as PFR5G-11E, iridium instead of platinum and the gap is just 0.1 mm smaller (1 mm as compared to 1.1 mm).