XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

speakers in front posts, headliner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers in front posts, headliner replacement

Hi guys

There are 2 small speakers, one in each of the posts either side of the front windscreen. I had to take all the trim off when working on the headliner and found that the speakers stayed in the trim, but on both sides a black ring with wires attached simply fell off the back of the speaker. Sorry I have not included photos, Im hopingyou will know what Im describing.

Anyway, played with them for ages but could find no way to reattach the ring to the back of the speaker. Can you help ?

I had the trim out while removing the headliner for a complete recovering. I thought it would be easy, but what a disaster. Completely botched it. I used to have one sagging area, now the whole thing looks like a 5 year old has been at it. Its not as easy as it looks.

I bought a kit containing glue, fabric etc off the net for $60. It came promptly but I had not matched the color well, the glue ran out half way through and I could not find the same stuff in local shops. Plus....the cloth in the car has a very thin foam backing. The stuff I was sent had a thick foam backing. It makes a big difference. I had not fully understood how it went back together around the sun roof and basically trimmed off a load of cloth that was needed.I have asked my dealer to quote for taking it away and sorting it out. I hate to spend the cash but I hate having my lovely XJR looking so miserable even more.

I wish I had paid a pro to do it. Just a warning to anyone else contemplating it. When I get the quote for relining the headliner I will post it in case anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance for any help re the small speakers.
Cheers

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: speakers in front posts, headliner replacement

The speakers from what I remember are factory glued to the grilles, I reattached mine with some plumbers goop, miserably sticky goo that comes in a tube.

As far as your headliner experiences go I certainly understand. I have done the headliner in my XJR twice, the first time I screwed up by trimming the sunroof hole before reinstalling the board. I was pissed to say the least. Not enough material left to roll under the edges and properly support the center of the headliner. So out it came. The glue job was very good as I used a stereo shop buddies glue spraying setup which uses a five gallon bucket of glue and air and as far as I am concerned it is the only way to go. Bad thing is I had to replace my newly attached headliner material and it wasn't gonna come off so I ended up going back over it with a second layer of the somewhat ill-fitting 1/4" material but it went back together fine. If you look real close you can see that it pooches out a bit around the screws and visor attachments.

Redoing the fabric on thesunroof sliding mechanisms are a whole different discussion.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speakers in front posts, headliner replacement

Chasman

Thanks for the sympathy . I did exactly the same ! The sunroof hole! I trimmed the material back to the edge of the headliner board and now have no way to attach the headliner to the sunroof "hole". I did manage to do the sunroof pieces themselves. Easy to get them out, pure guesswork to get them back in.

So the ring with wires attached is glued to the back of the speaker ? As soon as my hands stop shaking I'll give it a go. Cheers.