XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Squeaking / Creaking From Drivers Rear on 1998 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015 | 02:54 AM
|
Default Squeaking / Creaking From Drivers Rear on 1998 XJR

Hello all, I picked up a 98 XJR with a few issues that need attention. One of the main issues is there is a squeaking / creaking noise from the drivers side rear wheel area when driving. I have tried pushing on that corner of the car when parked and do not hear the noise. Whether I am driving on smooth or rough road, it doesn't make a difference, as the sound is present either way. There are times when there is no squeaking noise, but it is so loud that people stare and it echoes off of walls, etc. Almost sounds like a squeaking bed when the deed is being done. Any suggestions as to what it could be? It is only on the drivers side and not the passengers.

Old 07-01-2015 | 11:38 AM

I am having a very similar issue on my 2000 VDP on the front drivers side. However mine only happens on bumps. Nothing else can recreate the sound. I have lubricated just about every moving part of the front suspension, and I have not been able to fix it. Try lubricating the strut, and all the bushings. If that doesn't work, I would look into the strut plate. That is where I am starting out with mine is the strut plate. I sprayed the shi** out of it with some liquid wrench silicone lubricant spray, this did nothing for me.
The first things that I would consider would be:
Strut plate
Strut
Coil spring insulator

However the fact it makes the noise when going over a smooth road is kind of strange.

Old 07-01-2015 | 11:46 AM
|

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
I am having a very similar issue on my 2000 VDP on the front drivers side. However mine only happens on bumps. Nothing else can recreate the sound. I have lubricated just about every moving part of the front suspension, and I have not been able to fix it. Try lubricating the strut, and all the bushings. If that doesn't work, I would look into the strut plate. That is where I am starting out with mine is the strut plate. I sprayed the shi** out of it with some liquid wrench silicone lubricant spray, this did nothing for me.
The first things that I would consider would be:
Strut plate
Strut
Coil spring insulator

However the fact it makes the noise when going over a smooth road is kind of strange.
I dont think it is the strut because if I press on the trunk of the car and bounce the car, there is no squeaking. And it doesnt necessarily happen over bumps. I could be driving on smooth ground and get the noise. When turning left or just rocking the steering while driving and applying pressure to the left side of the car, the squeaking / creaking gets worse. It seems to be in conjunction with the wheel rotation speed in a way, but doesnt necessarily get faster with the speed of the car. Which would eliminate things like wheel bearing, brake pads, etc

Old 07-01-2015 | 01:15 PM

Try jacking up that corner just a couple inches off the ground - tire still on - and work the wheel/tire up and down with a prybar or something. If you position yourself right, you can do this by yourself when laying under it. Make sure it's supported properly, don't just rely on the jack.

I've always had good luck pinpointing squeaks/groans doing it this way. With one arm levering the prybar up and down, you got the other hand to grab suspension components to *feel* the squeak. Helps too that your head is under there and you can actually see what's moving.

Old 07-01-2015 | 01:33 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it possible to replace the bushings on the strut plate /strut mount, or do you have to replace the whole mount?

Old 07-01-2015 | 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Bcrary may I suggest starting your own thread: and is it your front or rear?

XJRjag: check the rear exhaust hangers (just before the rear of the car). If they are dirty or dried out, they will creak. Check the upper brake light and mounting for grounding (be real gentle, the ^^^^ing plastic puts new meaning to the word brittle!!!). Check your trunk and spare to be sure that is not the source of your rattle; check the license plate; and the rear boot (aka, deck). No? Well, new dampers and all of the new hardware that goes with them: see BCRARY's questions, above. My $.02!

Old 07-01-2015 | 09:31 PM
|

Well I drove around today paying closer attention to when the squeak happens and what I am doing at the time it happens. It is related to speed (ie: the faster the car is going, the faster the squeaking). Now, it only squeaks when the gas pedal is pressed...so if I am speeding up and on the gas, squeak may happen. If I let off of the gas, squeak stops. Strange because it is intermittent as well.

Old 07-02-2015 | 07:08 PM
|

Found the culprit. The U-Joint closest to the wheel is rusted and has slack. Will be changing both joints on the half shaft.