XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stability Control Fail Message

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Control Fail Message

Hello, from Tucson -

I bought a '98 XJ8 a couple of years ago with 56K miles on her. The only thing wrong with our Big Cat was a message that indicated a "Stability Control Failure." The dealer assured us that is was nothing more thananit-lock brake control valves that needed to be replaced,but stilldidn't affect the performance of this feature one bit. As far as I'm concerned, used car salesmen are just short of insurance salesmen - they'll tell you exactly what you want to hear, just to make the sale. I trust them about as far as I can throw them!

I was recently informed that this error message can be removed and that in fact, there actually isn't anything wrong with our anit-lock brack system. It was further explained that this is simply a matter ofsoftware up-grade. Any of you Jag Pros heard of this, or is it simply (as we Yanks say) a load of crap?

Neither my wife or I have noticed any performance issues associated with braking however, the $ difference between a software up-grade and having the anti-lock contol valves replacedis substantial.I'd really appreciate some constructivedialouge heremates.

Ron & Andrea Ballard
5325 E. Burns St.
Tucson, AZ. 85711 USA
ballardrd@***.net

Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Stability Control Fail Message

Does the light still come on?
There is no reflash for the ABS module. Do you know what code it is throwing?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

need codes to diag. Possible ABS module failure of wheel speed sensor failure.. there is a programming of the module but it wont help you.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM

The amber light continues to stay on, indicating a minor problem "somewhere' in the cat however, here's the kicker 'gents, she's not throwing any diagnostic codes at all. On top of this, I needed to initiate an emergency brake a few monthsback (an idiot that signaled right & thenturned left!), andthe BigCat braked as straight & true as though there was nothing wrong with the ABS. The only two messages that come up are "stability control fail" and "traction control fail". No codes.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:42 PM

How is trying to read the codes? If those lights are on, there is a code. Likely it is C1095 code. The module can be repaired or replaced. Repair is of course cheaper. Dealer should be able to pull the code.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Our Cat was at the local Jag Dealership for a completely unrelated issue last year, and when their Tech. looked at the code(s) it came up as an ABS sensor failure. We weren't told what the exactcodes were however, the Tech. did explain that it wouldn't effect normal function of the ABS in any way. Is this true? It certainly doesn't seem to have effected the system, but we'd sure like to get those annoying messages and amber light to go away.

Keep up the dialouge, Mates (sounds funny coming from somebody in Tucson, aye? Oh,I'm sorry, that's Canadian). You're still givingus more than our Jag Dealership or even my personal mechanic, who I've been with since '84.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM

My wife and I have a standing offer for anyone who can help us with this problem (within rea$on of course)...we'll send you some genuine Sonoran-style Mexican salsa and a couple samples of hot sauces made right here in the Southwest. One of my favarites is made in Goodyear, AZ. (a suburb of the Phoenix Metro area) called "Spontaneous Combustion." The name just aboutsays it all!!!

Thanks again, for all your input so far.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM

If the code was for a wheel speed sensor, it is likely that it is the harness. From each wheel speed sensor there is a harness attached about 18 inches in length. Maybe 12". Anyway, do you have paper work that tells you the code? That would help tremendously. Easiest way to tell is pull the code again. If it says left front wss, then swap the harnesses left to right an clear code. When light comes back, if code is now for right front wss, then you found problem. If not, possibly sensor itself. Try getting the code again please.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Greetings,

FJT, thanks again for jumping into the shop meeting on Friday. You and _g taught me alot!

Last '98 I had that flashed the same warnings did so constantly, from start every time. WDS led me to the first trace, ABS pump resistance, and failed the pump. As soon as I plugged another pump on, even without installing it, the warnings were gone.

Low battery voltage will cause the same warnings, even if the engine seems to start OK. This suspicion is more likely if the fault warnings don't happen every time: after a nice long run and the battery is juiced, the engine restarts and the warnings do not. Until the next morning.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

FactoryJaguarTech -

I'll see if our Jag Dealership will give up those codes without charging us a King's ransom. Can't promise anything because as you all know, everything in America comes with a price! Sorry. I'll see what can be done on those codes next week and get back to you then. Thanks -

Ron

Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Hey, JacgtechOhio -

The battery in our Cat is probably the original factory battery, although we bought heras a one-owner car (battery may have been changed out), it might be worth our efforts to simply get a new battery...what do you think?

Ron

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM

If you still have the factory battery, probably worth replacing as a matter of course.
If I misunderstood, I apoligize. I thought you had had this light on for a long time and it was a constant thing. Not intermittent.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM

FactoryJagTech -

You we're absolutely following me to-the letter, Mate. These messages have been with our Big Cat since we got her. Everytime I starther up. Never intermitent, just constant - without spitting out a code. If we take her to our local Jag Dealership, I know she'll be in there at leastfive days, they'll suggest a ****-load of needless work and in the final anlalysis, it'll costusea $Grand or more, to get rid of these pesky littly messages.

Does Jaguar give a rat's *** about their customers, or only what can be made off of them? You're a Certified Jag Tech. Give it to me straight,my friend. Welove this automobile but we're getting sotired of the up-keep. Please help.

Ron & Andrea Ballard
5325 E. Burns St.
Tucson, AZ. 85711 USA

Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM

I am a tech yes. I would like to help you the best I can. That is why I suggested getting the codes. Also bear in mind we are not there to put paws on the kitty so best we can do is give you an educated guess.
The experience people have with Jag varies from one dealer to the next. I know you are in Tuscon, if the dealer there screws you consistantly, maybe it is worth the extended drive to Scottsdale?
I cannot speak for the upkeep on your vehcile as I only know of this light so far. As cars get older, they need alittle more TLC. I personally have a 2001 VDP as well as work on them daily. I love what I do, and I am not here to take you for a ride. I have never asked for anything in return from anybody I have helped.
If the dealer is the only one who can pull the code, go there and pay the diag (should be no more than 1/2 hour just to pull the codes) and report back.
I dont know anything about your background. Are you handy with a dvom? There are good tests we can do once codes are provided.

Something that everyone with an older jag needs to contemplate is whether it is worth putting the money into it or not.
Let us known when you have the codes. We are here to help. If they pulled it once, it will be in their history. If the tech didnt record it, demand they scan it for free as you paid for the service once and the tech didnt do his job by writing in story what was wrong with car.
You don't have to pay for anything you don't want to at the dealer.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM

FactoryJaguarTech -

I'm sincerely sorry for suggesting that Jaguar (in general) doesn't care about anything but the bottom line. Certainly, there are Techs like yourself who care deeply about their client's vehicles however, there are an equal number of Dealerships out there who only see thattheir clients might be monitarily fluid (of which we are not), and as such, take advantage of them. The price for an oil change at Royal Jaguar in Tucson is $95!!! If I take our Cat to Jiffy Lube (which we never will again) it's $35. Whythe $40 difference? Just because we went to a Jag Dealership?! It's so hard to understand.

I'm still trying to get you those codes. BTW: I'm not exactly a super-mechanic, but I did restore a '72 Fiat 850 Sport Syder (stop laughing!). I have a fairly good set of tools and, I'm willing to give it a go, provided I have good mentoring. Just let me know what I need to do.

Ron

Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

alot of jiffy lub guys blow up engines.. seen many times towed to our dealer..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM

lol...same here. Hence the $40 difference. Paying for piece of mind. Not to mention the savings on a replacement engine.

Let us know when you get the codes.....and I didn't take offence. Just offering up a response from the other side. I don't take much personally....except for the *********** thing....lol

Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM

I've 'goten noyhing from our local Jag Dealership. The Service Rep. told me that the read-out messages I'm getting (Traction Control Fail & Satability Control Fail) don't actually have a
P-Code that she can help me with. In fact, she told me that the only way to get these pesky messages to "go away" was tobringour Big Catin and and have the ABS sensor module replaced (at> $4,000!!!). What the hell is wrong with Jaguar? Do they feel everyone that owns a Jag can afford this kind of BS?

My wife and I give up! We'rejust going to live with the constant dashboard messages - it certainly isn't worth it to try and correct them. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: ballardrd

I've 'goten noyhing from our local Jag Dealership. The Service Rep. told me that the read-out messages I'm getting (Traction Control Fail & Satability Control Fail) don't actually have a
P-Code that she can help me with. In fact, she told me that the only way to get these pesky messages to "go away" was tobringour Big Catin and and have the ABS sensor module replaced (at> $4,000!!!). What the hell is wrong with Jaguar? Do they feel everyone that owns a Jag can afford this kind of BS?

My wife and I give up! We'rejust going to live with the constant dashboard messages - it certainly isn't worth it to try and correct them. Thanks for all your input, guys.
Ron,

Don't give up yet!

So the service rep at the Jag dealer diagnosed the problem and quoted a repair cost without even reading the diagnostic codes? What BS!!! True, there are no "P-codes" associated with your problem....but there will be "C-codes". I would never call them again for anything. Period.

OBD II code readers that the parts stores use to read engine codes probably cannot read the chassis codes associated with the ABS. You will need to find an independent shop that specializes in foreign cars - or any other shop that might have a scanner that can read Jag chassis codes - and simply ask them to read the diagnostic codes and tell you the result. It only takes a few minutes, so it can't possibly cost that much.

After you have the codes in hand, report back. The fault code will show where to start looking. The actual problem could be as simple as a corroded connector.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 AM

2nd Marks advice.
Even if it turns out it is the module, people have had great success repairing them vs replacing.

Where are you located Ballard.

Quick Reply: Stability Control Fail Message